Gun Tower Stand(base help)

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #1  

browny

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1643
I'm kicking around the idea of building a gun tower stand but am having some indecisions about the base legs. I wanted the legs(4 of them) to be 24 feet long but I can only get 4X6's up to 20 feet long so I was wondering about laminating three 2X6's together to make the legs(like a beam) The question I have is with staggering the joints. I was thinking about using a 16 foot 2X6 in the middle and filling the ends with two 4 foot pieces and then using two 12 foot pieces on both sides of the 16 foot and the two 4 foot pieces. Should I stagger the joints more or will this be ok? The joints on the outside of the beam would line up. The legs will not be standing straight up and down the will be kicked out about 10 degrees. Cross bracing will be done to the base also. Thanks.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #2  
I believe the laminated beams will be stronger than a single 4X6 beam. Staggering will certainly help with the build up and will help with the over-all strength. What are you going to use for the base? A friend of mine just built a stand and he actually doug holes 4’ deep and pour cement for the base. I have not seen it, but he claims it is really the best way to go. I am sure he used the right connecting hardware to attach his stand supports. He did not go that high though, I think it is 16 feet.

Good luck with the project and supply some pictures when you start the build and competed project.

Wayne

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #3  
Your plan would work like it is with nails, be better and stronger if you used carriage bolts to secure them, but would ideal if you glued, then bolted the legs together. Much much better than a single beam, especially since they will be angled.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #4  
I used 3"x3" steel square tubing for mine, but I had a few joints of it laying around. I would price out that option vs 3 boards, may be a stronger option. Also 4 used telephone poles may be better if you can locate some. If your going to trust your life to it make it strong.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help)
I believe the laminated beams will be stronger than a single 4X6 beam. Staggering will certainly help with the build up and will help with the over-all strength. What are you going to use for the base? A friend of mine just built a stand and he actually doug holes 4’ deep and pour cement for the base. I have not seen it, but he claims it is really the best way to go. I am sure he used the right connecting hardware to attach his stand supports. He did not go that high though, I think it is 16 feet.

I just had a friend build another tower like the one I want to build(he used 18' 4X6's) and at the bottom of the legs he used 6 foot 2X8's along the sides of the legs. The legs are not buried in at all. He has had these towers on his land for awhile and they have never blown over at all. There is no othering anchoring of the stand at all.

OK, so I have another staggering option. Put two 12 foot 2X6's in middle and on side start with a 3' 2X6 and then a 12' and finish it with a 9', and the other side I would start with a 9' and then the 12' and finish it with a 3'. Does that make sense? Then the joints would not line up at all. I would screw them together first. I am planning on using carriage bolts to secure the cross bracing and going all the way through the legs and bracing. Afterwards I will place more cariage bolts on the legs(beams) where I think they need them.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #7  
2" angle iron works best: no warping, less wind load, lighter, easy to stand up with a loader, bolted extentions to any length. Rock solid.View attachment 296774 You may be able to find one in the area and move it to your location. Yes, you can enclose it and put a stove in it...

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #8  
What you describe would be incredibly heavy. I just built a tower using 12' 6x6"s. even they were hard to manage as the treated lumber sold here is wet and weighs a ton. I need to build a higher tower and I plan to use steel, probably 2x2" channel, at least for the base. I also think steel would be cheaper. If you do use wood, use the ledger lock screws with an impact driver for the connectors, as they are much simpler than lag bolts or lag screws, and plenty strong. I would also consider treated round poles as they are stronger than lumber and available in longer lengths.

Well, I finished my base yesterday and hauled it out and stood it up. The legs ended up being 22' long and were made out of three treated 2X6's bolted together. I pulled it over with the tractor and had two four wheelers with winches hooked up to the opposite side to let it down gently. Everything went really well.

Attachments

• DSCN3168_zpsed47df83.jpg
    DSCN3168_zpsed47df83.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 232
   / Gun Tower Stand(base help) #10  
Nice!! now all you need is a big water tank:laughing: Seriously, looks heavy duty, should be comfortable for years:thumbsup: Ah..er,, wheres the elevator/stairs/ladder.

Is that a tree blind hung in that tree? nice and high.