Tractor Sizing Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package.

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
I have an L3301 Kubota.

For the new tractor, I’d like to have.

I’d like to have a tractor with a loader, class 1 or 2 3 point, backhoe, and the main reason is a Mid mount mower.
What are some comparable sizes to look for?

I also will pull a brush hog, and plow or till for an upcoming 1 acre garden.

With 1 tractor, two riding mowers, two leaf vacuum machines, two more push mowers, this has gotten out of hand. it looks like a small engine repair shop in my shop most of the time.

I’m looking for a Swiss Army knife but am afraid of getting a “toy tractor” after having the 3301.

Wife wants to help with yard and hates the Dixie chopper and the 3301 doesn’t do mid mount mower.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lenny

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #2  
Look for a "pink" unicorn while you are at it.Not going to happen with one machine;sorry.I do 100 property with one tractor ,one mower with a 54" deck and a weed wacker.Forget the leaf blowers and push mowers.

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #3  
It sounds like you are looking for a compact or even sub-compact with a MM. There a quite a few models of 25hp tractor with loader, backhoe, and MM as options. Some can have all three installed at the same time.
I’d be looking at something like an LS XJ2025H. Front loader has a 50” bucket and can lift 1270lb as the pins. Mid mower is a drive over 60” model. Backhoe will dig 6’ deep.
Tractor is rated at 24.5hp, so no DPF emissions junk. It is smaller than your 3301, but if you want a MM, you are going to have to downsize..

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #4  
Re: Guys, I知 looking for comparisons for a new tractor package.

How many acres of property do you have to manage?

I believe you can still get the L3560 with MidPTO and a MMM option. You may have to adjust the wheel sizes to make it work, but talk to the dealer. This would allow you to move UP in tractor size, but get a MMM. Additionally, Kubota just released a limited edition of the 3560 that takes away some of the comforts and reduces the cost. I dont remember if this takes the BH92 or the BH77 backhoe but both are capable. If you can swing this, then you can probably keep any implements you already have for the L.

Other than that you would need to move down to a B2650 (do not consider the B3350 - emissions issues).

Not sure how to work out the leaf blower or push mower issues....think you will just have to keep those.

Another option is to do tractor and ZT. The ZT would be a second machine, but it is the best at mowing and leaf vacuuming.

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #5  
I don't think there is a MMM available for any of the Grand L60s. If you got an older Grand L machine I believe it was an option.

I'm currently looking at replacing my L3301 for a cabbed tractor(if the pricing works out). The B2650 is almost the same capacities, a bit more on the 3PT, a bit less on the loader. Both use the BH77 backhoe. You'll lose a good bit of weight unless you opt for the cab, even then you'll be down a few hundred lbs.

You didn't say if the bushog and tiller would be things you already own sized for the L3301, or new purchases. The B3350 would turn the same PTO implements as the L3301 and be closer to the weight of the L3301, but there's been a long history of problems with regen on that model. I thought it had been straightened out, but I don't have any references for that. Maybe check with your dealer. The B2650 doesn't have regen.

Check with other brands. If you're feeling spendy the JD 3Rs can take MMMs, and I'm sure there's other offerings.

I guess a 3PT finish mower isn't practical for your situation?

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #6  

Your opening post in unclear.

You are asking for a Category I or Category II Three Point Hitch, implying you want to move up in tractor weight.

No Category II weight tractor I know of will operate a MidMountMower. Category II tractors are too long to maneuver over lawns.

An L3301 weighs 2,700 pounds, bare tractor. To notice an increase in capability you will need to shop 4,000 pounds bare weight tractors. For a really BIG increase in capability you will need to shop 5,000 pound bare weight tractors. 5,000 pound tractors are Utility Tractors, not compact tractors.

A Kubota L3560 is only a tad larger than your L3301, 3,700 pounds bare tractor weight, optional mid-PTO.

Tell us what your priotirites are.

Tell us in what way your L3301 is unsatisfactory.

VIDEO: So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #7  

The Deere 3R can do a MMM, but it's gonna hurt you on the price tag. I thought the Grand L series was MMM capable? Can't swear to it, but I thought I saw that on their website a few years ago. I never got the local Kubota dealer to even speak to me (I mean literally, not even a "Hi there") the 2 times I walked in the door over there, so I never got the chance to try one.

I think tilling a 1 acre garden is going to be frustrating with a 25 hp tractor. You're going to have what? 18? 19? hp at best at the rear pto? That's going to be one tiny, light duty tiller, that won't go very deep if you're breaking new ground. I don't think you're going to like it much, especially breaking an acre of ground with it.

What is it about the Dixie that your wife doesn't like (hates??) ?

How much FEL lift capacity are you looking for? SSQA for additional FEL options?

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #8  

I have an L3301 Kubota.

Wife wants to help with yard and hates the Dixie chopper and the 3301 doesn� do mid mount mower.

Buy a Three Point Hitch mounted Finish Mower.

A PTO-powered Roto-tiller is optimal of one to four acres needing to be tilled.

A one acre kitchen garden will require AT LEAST twenty hours per week of watering and weeding, even with a tractor.

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #9  
Why not just get the wife a mower she likes? Sounds like you’re very close to the ideal setup. L3301 + riding mower is a great combo for 10 acres. Just buy a backhoe and/or tiller for the L3301.

The Yanmar YT235 has a mid PTO with MMM and also backhoe available, but not sure if you can mount both at the same time. Plus, you can get a cab for your Vermont winters and mount a front snowblower.

/ Guys, I’m looking for comparisons for a new tractor package. #10  
I went on the Kubota website and "built" a Grand. They are available with a mid pto still. Here's the "build" sheet:

Base Price Including Tires$36,179.00
[-] Selected Attachments Edit$21,953.00
1 FRONT - 10-16.5 R4 Titan Trac Loader
REAR - 17.5L-24 R4 Firestone All Traction Utilityinc.
1 72" QUICK ATTACH HEAVY DUTY ROUND BACK BUCKET$1,071.00
1 K1 MANUAL-HITCH$2,181.00
1 REMOTE HYD CONTROL / E36 CAB$587.00
1 2ND VALVE LEVER KIT/ E36 ROPS & CAB$316.00
1 3RD POSITION LEVER & STACKING KIT$316.00
1 REAR WIPER KIT / E36 CAB$143.00
1 MID-PTO ASSY KIT / E36 ROPS & CAB$377.00
1 TWO-LEVER HYDRAULIC QUICK COUPLER & THIRD FUNCTION VALVE$2,398.00
1 REAR WORK LIGHT CAB/E30$131.00
1 FRONT LOADER FOR GRAND L SERIES L4060$4,486.00
1 9 FT BACKHOE$7,659.00
1 FLOAT DETENT VALVE$302.00
2 DOUBLE ACTING VALVE$480.00
1 SUBFRAME KIT FOR BACKHOE$942.00
1 BH92 MTG KIT/L4060/L4760/L5460/L6060$564.00

[+] Extended Warranty Edit$3,000.00
Factory Assembly$0.00
List Price$61,132.00

The backhoe adds almost 8K to the price tag. Are you SURE you need a backhoe? Like all the time? Can't rent one for those occasional jobs?

And wtf, they only offer up to a 2 year warranty? That stinks, I didn't remember that.

Oh, and this was a 4060 with hydro