Guys running mulching units

/ Guys running mulching units #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
There was a good article in Dixie Contractor this month about a lady in Chattanooga running a mulching head on a CAT.

Her business is called Black Eyed Susan's and from the article seems to be doing well.

/ Guys running mulching units #2  
Hey AlanB, I don't know if you've seen but we are waist deep in this thread on the heading RC-100. Have a look. Robbie

/ Guys running mulching units
Yep, I am reading it, just wanted to share what I stumbled into, thought it might be worth reading for some, and wanted the thread title to be relevant.

/ Guys running mulching units #4  
Alan, i read the article, sounds like she is doing very well, running more than one machine, thanks for the info.

I found it impressive that she launched into that from zero, no truck, no trailer and no experience. $200 an hour seems high, but to make that nut every month on all new equipment, I bet that is what it takes.

The real deal will be in a couple years if she is still in business.

/ Guys running mulching units #6  
Hey AlanB, Good point about thread. Where do you find this Dixie Contractor? It sounds interesting. I myself started from scratch so hats off to her on all points, two machines, and $200 hour. It's alot of work keeping up with one machine let alone two, but alot of my maint. is on my mulching head. From other people I've talked to in the business and salesman these tractors are just the beginning. I would consider myself extremely blessed to be busy enough to need another tractor.I must say I am already blessed for I am still in business and things are picking up. Robbie

/ Guys running mulching units #7  
I am looking to start from scratch, so it is interesting that somebody has made it this far. Still running numbers and waiting to see the equipment. Then I plan to do more networking in my target market. I would love to hear your stories. Months in the business. Mistakes. Things done right. Biggest surprise (good and bad). Things you might have done differently. General lessons learned.

Dixie contractor get's mailed to us once a month. Not really sure where or how I signed up to be honest. Something I am sure with the lawn care business or the skid steer got me on thier list, but it is interesting reading.

I picture she had to have gone $200,000 into debt to make that business start. I did not catch that she was running two machines. I just don't know that I would have the gumption to launch into that. I do see guy's every year though with new trucks, new trailers, new mowers out there making a "killing" cutting grass, at least till stuff starts breaking and those 6 month defferred payments come due. The folks that I seem to see year after year though are much like us, decent equipment, but not new, and the same truck a couple years at a hit.

Burnetma, I have a buddy that is an arborist, and we were talking last weekend about equipment, new, used, warraties etc. He is much like me in that he snuck in on the equipment one piece at a time, and progressed as he went. He and I often debate just selling all our stuff, taking that money, and going down and making a down payment on all new stuff and starting will all new clean shiny equipment. We usually have this conversation while laying on a concrete floor with oil and grease on our arms and in our eyes while cussing a particular peice of equipment :)

My suggestion is to not listen to sales guys, but to listen to guys in the field doing the work. If I was going to do the mulching (and we have some equipment and trailers etc.) I would advertise the service and just arrange to rent the equipment for a bit (month) Also sit down with your wife, Signifigant other, mom, dad, whoever, and say, OK, I have $100,000 in my hand, what can I do with it too make money.

/ Guys running mulching units #9  
Alan,

Interesting closing paragraph. Some would say take the $100k and invest it and make money without sweating. Then you have guys like us... For me at least, I like to rely on my own hard work and determination to make a go of things.

Mark

/ Guys running mulching units #10  
AlanB. My wife has been behind our business venture 110% and has actually come up with some of our best advertising {flyers,newspaper ads,cards,etc.}. A womens point of view in this business is very different from ours, why women would like the service and simple wording. Try to come with a statment 5 words or less that will draw enough attention to get somone to ask or take note. That has been a struggle for us. Forget the words underbrush mulching, that just confuses people. Don't get me wrong, we've not found the magic fraze but where looking. Leasing like you said might work but I believe you would have to buy the head and lease the skid for around here to rent a package is 4500.00 a month and up if you can find one and it's not out on lease. Your dollar amounts are right on, You know what it cost to run equipment. Like I told somone on here ealier I best angle in this business is to already be in this field per say. The other gentlemen was in stump grinding and already had work lined up. By the sounds of it you do too, or atleast know exactly where to look. And as far as salesman they still saying 175-200$ per hour. That is not real world. This I know from experience. Robbie