>> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ??

/ >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #1  

BearKiller

Silver Member
I have searched and read until my head hurts and I am more :confused: confused now, than before I started.

I have gathered up steel and intend to set in on building a multi-purpose 3-PT-hitch trailer-receiver/pallet-fork/carry-all/boom-pole/ballast-carriage gizmo.

I intend to get a HF quik-hitch in the near future, but need this attachment I am building before I am likely to have the quik-hitch.

MY QUESTION :

What is the ideal pin-shoulder-to-pin-shoulder width/measurement for the two bottom pins so that this will best fit the #97214 HF quik-hitch ??

Many state that bottom pin centerline to top pin centerline is 15".

Several implements around here actually measure closer to 18".

What bottom pin to top pin centerline should I use ??

I am sure the answers to my questions are hidden somewhere, but I am not having success finding them.

Thanks.:)

/ >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #3  
The only rational answer is you need to buy the quick hitch first then build around it.

And you have named HF's model of hitch that has considerably larger side to side dimensions ('A') compared to the 'standard', so you are starting off into the world of custom design.

Harbor Freight #97214 dimensions: inside width of QH, 'A', 27.5 inches; upper pin height adjustable: 18, 19, 20, 21 inches above centerline of lower pins.

3_point_hitch_diagram.jpg

In this diagram on Tractorsmart, see the existing spreader near the top? You want the QH top hook to lift that spreader on all your implements, including your new combo tool.

If you try to lift by what they call the Top Link Pin, that won't work. You won't be able to engage it because your QH hook will bump into that spreader as you back up and prevent your attempt to hook the Top Link Pin.

I think the starting point is to measure the width, 'A' in that diagram, for all your implements then buy the version of QH that best matches them all. Then build your new attachment to fit it.

Standards are wonderful. That's why there are so many of them! I couldn't get that usask (University-Saskatchewan?) document to download, but I note the Tractorsmart chart dimensions (26" and 18") differ from the width stated on Louisiana State U's page ASAE Standard Quick Hitch Pin Dimensions which has the following chart:

image.aspx

Sorry if this just adds to the confusion! But really, buy the QH that matches your implements then build to fit it.

/ >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ??
Thank you CALIFORNIA and bcp.

My reason for opting for the 97214 hitch, instead of the 93691, is on account of the many that have had to spread their 93691 to fit their implements.

Thanks for pointing out about the top "spreader", which according to the Louisianna drawing IS the oft mentioned 15-inch, instead of the actual top-link's 18-inches.

Thanks for the drawings/specs.:)

/ >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #5  
"The only rational answer is you need to buy the quick hitch first then build around it."

And, if you have some attachments that just won't work with the quick hitch once you buy it, you can use the trailer hitch that you are going to make as an adapter. I made this one to adapt some non-iMatch stuff to my quick hitches.

It also serves as a basis for a boom pole that I recently posted pics of.

Best of luck on your projects.

Attachments

• 100_0303.JPG
    100_0303.JPG
    691.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1318 B.jpg
    IMG_1318 B.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 206
   / >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #6  
I did basically what is being suggested--I built the quick hitch to the "standard CAT 1" specs and then modified all my implements to fit the QH. It worked for me. Links to the project is below. The QH has made life so much easier--my only regret is that I did not do it earlier!

Mike

Attachments

• with trailer hitch.JPG
    with trailer hitch.JPG
    826.7 KB · Views: 227
   / >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #7  
I believe the height is adjustable.

Attachments

• z97214.gif
    z97214.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 154
   / >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #8  
The HF QH's come with bolts for adjusting the upper hook height. I replaced them with pins for easier adjustment.

Here's an as-built photo of rear forks I built from existing scrap. No lower pins needed. That angle-iron crossbar goes down in the pockets to stay in place.
70566d1171849399-pallet-forks-rear-3-pt-p1050892r.jpg

/ >> H-F QUIK HITCH QUESTION ?? #9  
For some reason, manufacturers use different dimensions for category-I hitch implements. This doesn't seem to be the case with Cat-II, Cat-III, and Cat-IV. The dimensions for the larger hitches are standard.

I have Cat-II & III hitches on larger tractors and they work on every implement I use them on. I also have a CAT-I which just sits on the floor, as not of my Cat-I implements fit, or are even the same size.

Go figure.