Had a first yesterday

/ Had a first yesterday #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
I was out walking the dogs yesterday morning. I try to walk them in the mornings and afternoon. Our usual path is about 1 1/2 miles of hilly woods behind the house, half of which is on my property. Over the years we have seen almost every wildlife that lives around here. Moose, deer, black bears, wild turkeys, opossum, skunk, porcupine, fisher cats, fox, coyote, you name it we've seen it. Yesterday while walking one of the beagles started howling like he was chasing a chipmunk. It wasn't until the border collie/ lab mix started barking that it got my attention. As soon as I started to walk over I heard what sounded like a sheep's blat. I've never heard one in person before but knew it was a fawn so I picked up the pace. The dogs were excited but not willing to get closer than 5 feet to the poor little guy.

It's not uncommon for White tails to reach 200 lbs around here. Standing it between a couple ferns was a fawn about a foot tall and maybe 15 lbs. He (I say he but it could have been a she) could stand but I think he could barely walk as his rear legs were spread pretty wide apart for stability. A quick shout to the dogs and the three of them stopped barking and sat down. The fawn had his tail standing up and looked like it was shaking in fear. Between me silencing the dogs and talking in a soft voice to him he quickly put his tail down and looked at ease. I stayed about 15 feet away from him and only stayed for a few moments because I didn't want to scare mama anymore than we already had. I usually have my cell on me but because it was lightly raining I left it at home, too bad because I bet I could have real nice background for the computer. As we walked away I made sure to make plenty of noise so mama would know where we were.

It always amazes me how mother nature can remind you how much of a miracle this planet is. Tomorrow we'll be going back to make sure the little guy and his mother reunited and went on their way.

/ Had a first yesterday #2  
Nice story. After living on my property for twelve years I finally heard a fawn last year and I actually thought it was one of my neighbors lambs in our woods.

I watched as a doe chased our 70 lb. mutt out of the woods in defense of her fawn the other day too. It was hilarious to see that dog running from the deer. They were in a stand off going back and forth for awhile until Halo gave up.

Kevin