Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #1  

JD230511

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Im on my turn on 3rd shift. ( dang 7 day rotating shifts ) I got home this morning from work and there was a kitten on the porch. i dont have any cats and havent seen any around. It can stay around as long as it stay away from the dog. ( English Mastiff ) My only question is it looks like its butt is coming out. should I wait and see if it survives or go ahead and get rid if it?

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #2  
It appears that you are facing a decision of a personal sort. From your earlier statement, it seems that you think the kitten is afflicted with a possible medical problem. If I were faced with your situation, I would either take the kitten to a Vet or the local Humane Society and then base my decision on what steps to take in regards to what those professionals suggest. I am only offering some advice. The final choice and decision will be entirely yours in the end. Good Luck and I sincerely hope that everything works out.:)

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #3  
Sounds sorta like what happened to a friend's dog recently. Turned out to be a hernia. The local vet referred him to a university vet program which was able to fix the dog. By the way someone dropped a cat at my house 8 years ago. He sleeps in my bed while I go to work:).

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning
Thanks. Maybe its just cause its only a month or so old. It can stay around to keep mice and stuff away.

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning
Thanks buck.

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #6  
If you keep the animal, you'll need to take it to the vet anyway. Your kitty may have worms or other medical condtion. Ignoring it will only allow it to get worse and the cat will suffer more than now. Like children, pets are not free. If you decide to keep it, your decision must be also to take care of it. Otherwise, the most humane thing to do is have it put down.

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #7  
Take it to the vet. Could be a hernia or could be just inflamed from infection or diahreha (spelling). I love animals cats and dogs. The wife works at a vet. She sees some of the worst stuff from people who even say there taking care of their animals! I cant stand for someone to have an animal and not take care of it. This means shots and worming when it needs it. Especially getting it fixed!!

If you want to keep it you need to go to the vet anyway, to fix it worm it and get the shots it needs. Or you can take it to the humane socity or shelter whicever you may have near you.

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #8  
I like animals and take good care of mine, but there are just too many stray cats and kittens to justify fixing this one with a hernia in my opinion.

I would put it down in as painless and expeditious way as possible.

I'll probably get flamed, but the fault lies with owners who don't spay or neuter their pets and let them roam free.

I know pets aren't wild animals, but when humans domesticate animals, we take on the responsibility and roles of controlling populations. In the wild, an animal with this kind of condition would live a short and miserable life before becoming prey.

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #9  
The problem with kittens is they grow up to be cats.

mark

/ Had a kitten on the porch when i got him from work this morning #10  
I see what you mean, but if he wants a cat this one needs a home and if he likes it he can choose to do as he likes. Going to the shelter may just not be something he will do?

Cat needs attention one way or the other, weather to let the humane society put it down or you get it repaired and keep it. And yes most shelters will put an animal down because of the problem with so many of them instead of using short funds to repair one.