Handgun Advice

/ Handgun Advice #51  
Will_C said:
To add to this old post, I just bought a S&W 686, 6" barrel. It should be a good gun to learn centerfire revolver shooting. Thanks for all the advice.
Will

Congratulations on choosing a great handgun. I have the same gun, but blued version (M586). The L frame Smiths are truly fine revolvers. If I could have only one, this would probably be the one I would keep. I have shot many of them and never found one that was inaccurate.

With .38 wadcutters, it is like shooting a .22. With full-house .357's it is plenty powerful for nearly all handgun applications. Made of stainless steel, you can shoot the thing all day, then throw it in the back of the truck with the tire chains until you want to shoot again. Well, maybe not, but you get the picture--much less maintenance sensitive than a blued gun.

If you choose to shoot cast bullets, here is a cleaning method you can use on stainless guns only. Mix a 50:50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Seal the barrel with a small cork in the forcing cone. Stand the gun with the barrel pointed up. Fill the barrel with the mixture and let sit for about 5-10 minutes (it will be bubbling). This concoction dissolves the lead; it may take a couple applications depending on how much lead is in the barrel. Then follow with a couple patches and oil. It is harmless to stainless guns. I got this out of American Rifleman many years ago.

Good luck, have fun with your new gun.

/ Handgun Advice #52  
Will_C said:
I got the 7shot model. There are some lighter weight L frames in the S+W catalog I got at the sporting goods store.
Will

Awesome! I have to agree with RedRocker in that the 686 is one of the finest revolvers to shoot. I have some extremely high dollar revolvers from the Colt custom shop and, other than their perfect triggers, the regular ole S&W 686 shoots darn near as well.