Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #1  

BX2230Dude

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, L39
Since Kubota is made in Japan and assembled in the USA, I had always assumed it was 100% metric. Not true. While most of the bolts I've encountered servicing the tractor have been metric, some are in inches. For example I recently had to replace a hydraulic hose, it was 11/16". To avoid rounding off the bolt with an incorrectly sized metric socket or wrench I now check an unfamiliar bolt with my handy adjustable wrench. It's an 8" wrench made by Channel-Lock calibrated in 1/16 increments on one side and millimeters on the other. It's surprisingly accurate. If it doesn't align dead-on with a millimeter marking I turn the wrench over and It's usually dead-on in inches.

Attachments

• KubotaWrench.jpg
    KubotaWrench.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 592
   / Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #2  
Kubota tractors are made in Japan but the implements are made stateside. Your rule-of-thumb should be for any attachment and/or hydraulic hose (SAE) and tractor parts themselves (Metric).

My M9 came in as a bare tractor and the FEL was added in Georgia along with the remotes, tires and rims and then was shipped to my dealer.

Kubota tractors aren't assembled in the United States, per se'. I believe the zero turn units and the small lawn tractors are made here, but the CUT's and the bigger ag. tractors are all made in Japan, set in frames, containerized and shipped to Savanah, Georgia where they are trucked to Kubota's final assembly and shipping point in central Georgia.

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #3  
From Kubota.com
>Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) was formed in 1988 as Kubota’s North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, loaders, backhoes and other implements. The company employs 1200 workers. Two master buildings offer 616,000 square feet of manufacturing space. Today, one-third of all Kubota branded equipment sold in the United States is manufactured or assembled at its 151-acre Gainesville, Georgia facility.<

MY BX23's engine and HST was made in Japan and shipped to GA where the rest of the tractor and all it's implements were manufactured and assembled...
Volfandt

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance
Thanks for the info Volfandt and 5030. I had read here on TBN that the Kubota's were assembled in Georgia. I didn't know they had a large manufacturing plant as well. It's good to know that Kubota is employing a lot of Americans in Georgia.:) I thought it was odd that my metric wrench didn't quite feel right on the hydraulic hose fitting. I never suspected the hoses were made in the U.S.A. "When in doubt, check it out" :D

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #5  
I've been to the plant its a huge operation. They have expanded several times since that blurb was posted on the internet. At this point its probably close to double the size and capacity. The T's,G,GR,ZG,ZD and BX are all done in GA by KMA. As i recall, KIE does part of the excavator line, then there is another fabrication division that does the mower decks, loaders and backhoes. Each operates as a seperate business unit. The employee's are not unionized. There are also a handful of European models that are also done here for export. All the RTV production for the world is done on another line about 30yds away... that ones impressive! Sheet metal in one side and every 5 minutes another RTV out the other.

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #6  
Interesting wrench, but since it's a cresent style I guess the measurements are there to tell you what size you have. Otherwise I just adjust it until it's tight. a 17mm is close to an 11/16" wrench. But not as close as a 13 and 1/2" or a 19mm and 3/4" are. Next match if I recall is a 22mm and a 7/8". Forgot the 8mm and the 5/16" match. I don't know any bigger or smaller. 14mm and 9/16 sometimes work depending on the bolt/wrench age and wear.

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #7  
BX2230Dude said:
Since Kubota is made in Japan and assembled in the USA, I had always assumed it was 100% metric. Not true. While most of the bolts I've encountered servicing the tractor have been metric, some are in inches.
The grease fitting are all SAE too. Who woulda guessed. I still have a pile of new-but-useless metric ones laying around.

Jay

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #8  
Almost all the hydraulic hoses (that I've seen on various Kubota's) are Parker as wel as the couplers....good stuff.

/ Handiest Tool for Kubota Maintenance #9  
Good time saving idea Dude. Beats the old eyeball method.