Happy New Owner! Ford 4000

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #12  
It's a 1958. Early model 1841 would be painted red body with grey tin. Your sherman was factory installed unlike earlier models that were dealer installed. The early sherman combo should have the J style lever because the early cable system did not get in the way. Later 4000 steering system was in the way so they went with a straight lever. The sherman combo you Have(I believe, because they also made a reverser shift, post photos to confirm) is a high/low/regular range this will make your 4 speed trans in to a 12 speed with three neutral speeds, for pto appilcation. So if your backhoe is run off the pto shaft in high range/neutral would give you a faster responce. To operate push the lever in toward the body and move down toward the bottom of the tractor. This is your low range. Then shift thru your 4 gears. Pulling the lever up (thru the neutral detent) and back toward the seat will give you your high range. Pushing the lever down to the middle neutral detent position and then while it the neutral position pull the lever out (away from the tractors body, about 3/8" or so) and back toward the seat will give you your regular gear range.
There is a slot toward the rear face plate on the back side of the drum to adjust the brakes. they had rubber gromets but most a long gone.
Most of the 1841's steering cable systems were replaced. I think the one on my 1841 is off a truck, a real farmerization butcher job.

Kirk

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #13  
That is a good model tractor and parts for the engine are easy to find. The Ford 800 series was the first Ford series with the weight and features that was competitive with other brands of the era. We went from a 53 600 to a 1962 800 series and it was sweet.

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #15  
Should really have the mod move that other thread here, since it is a more appropriate board than the New Holland board...

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000
I would be fine with that if a mod wants to do it?

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #17  
they should probably combine the threads...