Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
   / Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #2  
Two way splitters are a good design. I have one. This one looks a little light for a 20 ton unit but it would probably be OK if you don't overload it.

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #3  
Its Harbor Freight...

Don't want to start a bashing thread. I own many Harbor Freight tools. Some are great and some I've been very disappointed with. I have some 30 year old air tools from them that still work flawlessly. Some others failed on the 2nd use. I have a metal cutting bandsaw from them that is kinda crappy, as in, it burst into flames. I have an air compressor from them that will make you deaf... WHAT? I said deaf! I have an engine hoist that works great. A cement mixer that works great. I have metal punches from them that are flattening with minor usage. I just broke off an allen head wrench from them in a cap bolt last week with minor torque. Their toolboxes are weak. I have a hand held grinder that works great. A chainsaw sharpener that works great. So, I am impartial. I'd stay away from anything from them with a gas motor and hydraulics, or large electric motors. Of course, that's just my opinion.

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #4  
I just saw the same ad. Looks like a good deal, good reviews. I was going to look up the Powerhorse at Northern for comparison but it looks like they are no longer selling that model.

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #5  
Good reviews? I think the one I looked at only had 7 reviews. The oldest one, from June. That's not too many folks and not too much usage time, either.

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #6  
2 way are nice, not sure about NT quality though. I just bought the 22 ton from TSC, they had a Black Friday sale for $899. Much quicker than I thought it would be and it has taken everything I have thrown at it so far. I like the fact that there is a TSC close if I need to return, or exchange, but dont think that will be necessary. You may live by a NT IDK, not sure what their return policy is either?

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #7  
I bought a 27 ton Dirty Hand Tools splitter on Black Friday from Lowes. Menards advertised them for $699 & Lowes matched their price + 18 months 0% financing. Regular price was $1299.

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #8  
I finally actually watched the video. The Harbor Freight design is new in that the cylinder moves and functions as part of the guide and all of the hydraulics flow through the rod. Pretty neat design although it makes the cylinder a special part.

Has anyone out there seen a cylinder before where the flow passes through the rod?

/ Harbor Freight 2-way log splitter #9  
I got a 22 ton .. It's s son of a gun to start under 35 degrees .. Gotta warm the hydraulic resivior with torpedo heater in order to crank the engine .. I need to install a shut off valve