Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe)

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #51  
I still haven't bought one although I think about it every spring. When (and if) I do it will be between the Harbor Freight and the Jansen. For my needs either should do just fine. I have seen good reviews on both and watched many videos.
The Jansen seems to be a bit better built but who knows? I am a homeowner who maintains his own property. My 5 acres gives me plenty to do and being retired gives me the time to do it.

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #52  
Jansen looks pretty nice. As long as you realize your limits and the abilities of the trencher you will be fine. Don't wait... you will find so many uses for it. It's like having a loader on your tractor... I don't know how I would live without mine.

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #53  
I know exactly what you mean about the loader....it's like having an extra hand around the home. My biggest issue is storage for the implements. Right now the only thing indoor is the tractor itself. I don't want to deal with fuel issues and my garage never gets below 40. But outside is my trailer, loader, ballast box, box blade etc. Im considering a carport type structure for the implements. Maybe that should be my next investment rather than more equipment.

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #54  
This old thread lives on!

Earlier this year, I tried to buy a Trencherman off a local hoarder I know. He bought it on sale from HF years ago and never assembled it. After maybe 8 years, it still sits in his sister's backyard, in the boxes, under tarps. Probably all rusty by now. Regardless, he will not let it go.

I wanted it to do what I did before with my CADDigger: get it up my steep trails to my septic and water tank area.

Instead, I bought a Chinese 1T mini-X.

I am sure these HF micro-excavators can be quite useful, as was my CADDigger. Attention to care and maintenance is always an issue.

BTW, I have another big-ticket item from HF: their Chinese bandsaw sawmill. Works fine for what it is. Not a WoodMizer for sure, but less than 1/3 the price. I got it used for $600.

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #55  
Sorry to dig up graves on my first forum post but I was looking into these little HF trenchers lately and I haven't been able to find the answer to a question I had. I've seen people speed them up by putting a better pump on it but is there any reason you couldn't power the thing through the remote out's on your tractor? I have no idea what the flow rate is on the pump motor combination but surely it's not the 8 gpms I have available through my very expensive motor hydraulic pump unit on wheels. Just looking at viable alternatives since the excavator for compact tractors seem to start at 7k. We choose not to get one, figuring we'd just rent later when we need one, but having now been exposed to the HF trencher...

Anyways I can't think of any reason why this couldn't or shouldn't be done, what say those who actually have experience with these machines?

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #56  
Sure you could power your Trencherman off your tractor's hydraulic system. You can even modify it to mount on a subframe that attaches to your tractor, for a semi-homemade backhoe attachment.

I built a CADDigger 728 back in the 90s, before I had a tractor. There was a version of the plans that did what I describe above.

Your Trencherman prob runs at 3-4 GPM, and 1500-1800 psi at 3600 RPM engine speed.

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #57  
I have available through my very expensive motor hydraulic pump unit on wheels. Just looking at viable alternatives since the excavator for compact tractors seem to start at 7k. We choose not to get one, figuring we'd just rent later when we need one, but having now been exposed to the HF trencher...

Anyways I can't think of any reason why this couldn't or shouldn't be done, what say those who actually have experience with these machines?

My HF trencher, if I recall correctly, is about 15 years old and has served me well. I don't use it a lot but when I do it does OK. My tractor is a Kubota Grand L 4610 HSTC and has rear quick-connect hydraulics I use to operate hydraulic scarifiers on the box blade. This in addition to top and tilt hydraulics. I suppose I could rig it to operate the trencher on the tractor hydraulics and it would likely operate the implement faster. The trencher is a tad slow and faster would seem to be better but you need to be careful to not try to do more HD work than the unit was designed for as you would start breaking or wearing things faster than normal.

Patrick

/ Harbor Freight (HF) Trencher(Backhoe) #58  
I have owned mine for 6 years and have put it thru Hell and still works like new. From digging a 8 foot x 8 foot x 6 foot deep pit to lifting 20 foot x 16 inch diameter oak trees on to a trailer, digging up 36 diameter stumps. If it ever wears out I will buy another. Nuff Said.