Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions?

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #21  
Wheeeee.......HF is taking a beating here. I've still got the first 4.5" grinder I bought from them in 1991 to get into a tight cracked frame on the dozer lift blade, ground out the crack and welded up. I thought I'll buy it, use it, kill it, and throw it away. As with all things, I beat them to death. Hey, I'm the guy who can break a bulldozer, so I know what I'm doing, when in comes to abusing tools. Th original grinder still works, I've bought a few since, another one for me, one for my Dad, another for my neighbor. They all still run. Now for the 14" cutoff saw, I did buy the heavy duty, 2hp, (yea, right!) on sale $100 one. Used it last year quite a bit, and it still works. It's not like using a table saw, it doesn't cut through metal, like the table saw through wood, but it does do the job. It sounds like from reading these post, it's a bit of a crap shoot gamble. Some HF tools deliver good, not great service, and some are almost DOA. I've never yet had to return one for replacement, but there's a first time for everything...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #22  
You get what you pay for. For light gauge work, this saw will be fine. For anything larger, like 1/8 or bigger, you'll burn it out in a short time.

For my horse stall project, I cut a bunch of 14 gauge c-channel and 3/4" box steel. Went through a Wilton chop saw (big one, looked tough) in no time. Upgraded toa DeWalt D-Handle and never looked back. Would've preferred the Milwaukee, but the yellow one was on sale and was slightly bigger (motor).

LAXPatrick

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #23  
Yes, you get what you paid for but my HF 14" has done whatever I wantec it to do. 4" pipe, 3/8' sidewalls, and straight cuts. What do you want? I have time to let the blade do it's job and after a few cuts, you learn the idiosyncracies of the saw. A lot of machine for the cost but I'm not an expert. Go ahead and spend the extra bucks if you will use it alot but for me - it is great! Best of luck to you - Clyde

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #24  
My exerience with Harbor Freight is that for the most part the basic hand tools, bench grinders and the large metal band saws are OK. I have one of their Large milling, drilling, lathe machines a horizontal/vertical band saw, and MIG, they all work to my satisfaction. If it has a BRUSHLESS motor it will probably last a long time.
However, my general rule of thumb is that if it has a power cord and brushes in the motor, STAY AWAY from it, because it will fry sooner or later.

As far as the "Communist" comment goes. Yes the Chinese are communist, but keep in mind that is not by their choice. I suppose a billion would be willing to lay down their life for freedom if they even knew what freedom was, The average Chineman is an uneducated pesant living in diplorable (by our standards) conditions and is very happy to make a few cents to keep his family clothed and fed. Before you bash the Chinese, educate yourself on their culture. Do you eat Chinese food ?

People are good - govenments are bad.

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #25  
   / Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #26  
In general Harbor Freight has a very liberal return policy. If you were to purchase that saw - I would use the heck out of it right away then judge for yourself weather or not it's something you think will last and if you want to keep it.

If you buy it online then later return it you will loose the shipping costs both ways so thats the risk you take. Better to buy from a local H/F store if you have one close by.

Good luck.

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #27  
My experience has taught me that in general, cheap tools will do the job they are designed for, they just don't last as long as the more expensive models. Also, the more expensive tools just "work" a little better and have a heavier, more solid feel to them. I buy and use both. If I plan on using a tool a lot and having it around for a long time I will buy the best that I can afford. If I only plan on using a tool occasionally, I will buy a cheap model. Why tie up good money in something that mostly just sets around and gathers dust. On the other hand, for a tool that you need to depend on and will see a lot of hard use, spend the money and buy the best. You will not be sorry.

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #28  
First HF $ 1/2 Grinder 7yr old working good, 14" chop saw 1yr old and still cuts 1 1/4 x 2 1/2 mild steel and lots of 3/8 x 5 strap. Cheep yes but a friend has gone thru one DW and a Milwakie in the same time and only cuts smaller stock.

If you get a good one, enjoy it, know matter what brand.

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions? #29  
Toolguy - I'm in complete agreement with you. I picked one up at Menard's(local lumber/tool store) in the upper central states for about that price. I saw rebar, some steel pipe, and steel stock with it. I have learned to live with it's idiosyncracies such as supporting longer pieces while sawing. It is noisy and the bearings have always rumbled somewhat but it is always up to the task with square cuts. I see no reason to spend more for the occasional use I give it and it doesn't owe me anything at this point. Save your money to spend on the more important tools in your shop. It beats a hacksaw all to heck!!!! Clyde

/ Harbor Freight Metal Cut off Saw - Opinions?
I have decided to just build a power hacksaw instead.
I like making my own tools and this is a project I can do.
I even found a great set of plans.
Look down almost to the bottom of the page at this link.

Power HackSaw Plans ver 2

I already have motors and pulleys and shafts and bearings to use.
I just have to put it all together.
And it will do exactly what I need and at almost no cost.

Thanks for all the advice.

Pooh Bear