Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #21  
I like the way you think Bird. Don't buy from HF unless you can afford to throw it away when it breaks.

The drill that went bad is put on sale now and then for thirty bucks. I'm almost tempted to by another one just for parts, but then, I have a nice Makita drill that hasn't broke yet, and I know I can get parts for. Makita customer service is great, and the Makita girl ain't bad either.

Tom, a real tool freak.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #22  
I buy items from H.F. but I wouldn't spend alot of money for the items that I buy. No high $ items, no more than $50.00 on an item.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #23  
The specs on the HF unit fall between the Miller Spectrum 375 and Spectrum 625, although they are much closer to the 625 which is rated for 1/2". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, comparing the 3/8" models (which is what the HF is rated at), the Miller gets the job done with less amps (27 vs 36) and a higher plasma flow (4.5 cfm vs 3.5 cfm for the HF).

The Miller calculates their rating at a temperature of 104 F. The HF does not publish this spec. It does make a difference.

Both need clean dry air to operate at their rated specs.

The Miller has a built in air pressure regulator while the HF does not. You will have to buy a dedicated external regulator to get your air compressor pressure down to 60 psi with the HF.

The Miller is more portable at either 110v or 230v.

The Miller is a transformer power source while the HF is an inverter.

The Miller will rated cut 3/8", quality cut 1/2" and sever 5/8" steel. The HF will rated cut 3/8" and they publish no specs for thicker sizes.

Consumables are much easier to obtain for the Miller unit (it's a Hypertherm torch).

The Miller has the industry's best warranty. I could find nothing about the HF warranty.

The HF has no track record regarding performance or reliability.

The Miller unit is built to take a beating with everyday use. The HF is for occasional light duty use.

Either unit will do the job (cut 3/8" steel). One does it better, while one does it less expensively. Only the buyer can assess the pros and cons of each unit as to how either will do the job he needs it to do.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The Miller has a built in air pressure regulator while the HF does not. You will have to buy a dedicated external regulator to get your air compressor pressure down to 60 psi with the HF. )</font>
Actually it includes an external filter/regulator, intended to be mounted on the inlet of the machine.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The Miller unit is built to take a beating with everyday use. The HF is for occasional light duty use. <snip> Only the buyer can assess the pros and cons of each unit as to how either will do the job he needs it to do. )</font>
Quite true - my anticipated needs were such that I figured I would only be using it occassionally and not every day ... and I have several other tools to cut metal - a Sears Twin-Cutter, a HF bandsaw, Sawzall, etc. - depending on the particular material. If I was flush and money was not a concern there's no doubt I'd prefer a one of the name brands (Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, etc.) - just like I'd prefer a better bandsaw - but for now the HF unit is getting the job done.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #25  
I don't know if one cuts 3/8 better than the other or not. The HF/CE unit is rated for 3/8 like the Miller. The HF unit is rated at 100volts vs 90 volts. The HF/CE unit is advertised at 36 amps which is misleading...its really a 28 amp unit. Look at inverter units and they typicaly rate them at 60% duty cycle. The unit will cut much thicker just like the Miller will. The HF still has more power no matter how you slice it. I'm not saying the Miller is bad just newer technology is all.

For home use this is probably fine for shop or production I'd go with a Miller etc.. where you need parts and service localy.
Thats one fo the reasons I bought my Millermatic 251 localy and they gave me a discount to almost match what I could by it online for. Shipping several hundred pounds someplace for service aint worth it.

FYI...I'm not in the market to buy a plasma unit, have a torch that will cut 2" without blinking. Now that inverter units are gaining some momentum at half the price thier looking a lot better. The technology just keeps improving and inverter units are just the next step.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The biggest drawback mentioned was repair parts and consumables, especially consumables.)</font>

I just looked at this thread. I'm sorry, but I honestly think the biggest drawback is that the HF stuff is junk. In my wildest moments I can't imagine spending $500 at HF for anything that wasn't a name brand item. I used to just laugh when I saw "expensive" HF items halfway dissasembled in someone's garage because they quit working, thinking that they got what they deserve. Now I just feel sorry for them because they got taken.

Due to past personal experience, I see HF being put out of business by attorneys because of their defective junk hurting or killing people. Your opinion may well vary, but I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to buy stuff there. And, by the way, I'm not intending this to be a "reply" to MadReferee, I only used his quote.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't know if one cuts 3/8 better than the other or not. The HF/CE unit is rated for 3/8 like the Miller. The HF unit is rated at 100volts vs 90 volts. The HF/CE unit is advertised at 36 amps which is misleading...its really a 28 amp unit. Look at inverter units and they typicaly rate them at 60% duty cycle. The unit will cut much thicker just like the Miller will. The HF still has more power no matter how you slice it.)</font>

You're making the typical marketing hype mistake.

You have got to compare apples to apples and those apples are the rated specs. To get a 3/8" cut the HF is a 36 amp unit while the Miller is a 27 amp unit. The HF unit uses more oomph to get its rated cut. That is a fact, at least according to the HF spec sheet. It may have more power than the Miller but more of it is being used to get its rating. It's called inefficiency.

The marketing gurus at HF have under rated this unit because its power specs look much better than the Miller and other comparable 3/8" units. However, when compared to units with similar specs (ie most 1/2" units), the HF falls way short. HF's primary audience is the casual user and to the casual user more power translates to a better unit, even if it isn't the case. It's all marketing.

As I said before, you get what you pay for, and on a high dollar purchase I think one would rather have a name brand than a marketing hyped brand.

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #28  
Amen to that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm sorry, but I honestly think the biggest drawback is that the HF stuff is junk. )</font>
Brent, I can appreciate that you've had bad experiences with HF tools - in one a case potentially life-threatening IIRC - but in all honesty I can't agree with a blanket statement that all HF merchandise is junk.

I'll certainly agree that they sell some real stinkers (ask me about the drill pump I bought from them - or the set of gear pullers of which I broke three out of four - of course I'll return them for replacement since they all carry a lifetime warranty) - but on the otherhand some of what they sell is decent quality. Is it the best quality out there ? Probably not ... but then in some cases "good enough" will do..

Given the fact that they started back in 1968 and have been in business for over 35 years, now have 224 retail stores, plus the sales site on the web, I wouldn't bet the farm on them being out of business any time real soon. They didn't get to be the size they are by being totally stupid business people.

Some of their more expensive items (tools they consider "industrial") carry a longer warranty (although not advertised on the website) - I have a Chicago Electic jackhammer - I think the warranty on it was 3 years.

They also offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - if you are not satisfied with any item, return it for a "fast courteous, hassle-free refund" (I personally wasn't even aware of this myself until a friend and fellow TBN member pointed out to me that he had never had HF refuse to accept an item returned for refund)

There was a little operation back a hundred years or so ago that built their business on a similar type of guarantee .... perhaps you have heard of them .... Sears, Roebuck & Co. ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Harbor Freight plasma cutter $500 #30  
Point well taken. Okay, since the only good service I've gotten from something there is from an Ingersol Rand 3/4" impact, I suppose I have a dim view of their items. I guess part of it is the fact that I feel that I was stupid for several years and kept buying their stuff because it was cheap. Nothing is cheap enough when it nearly kills you. Since you recall from a past post of mine, I won't bring up what the final straw was. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess my "issue" is that they do seem to try to make it appear that their house brand of stuff is equal to the name brand item when that simply is not the case. I just can't see anyone spending over $100 or so on any of their throw away items. Yes, they will exchange or warranty it, but after 4 or 5 trips in, it just isn't worth the hassle. I just throw the junk away and now chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Again, your're right, my blanket statement was based on personal experience and likely not a fair statement. However, I would have to say that I would not even remotely consider paying half that much for their plasma cutter. Knowing that there is a relatively high chance that it will never make it through the very first use, I'd have to pass on it every time. I don't have the desire to get hurt, hurt someone else, destroy my home, or make numerous trips taking broken items back. And, those are the experiences I've had with HF items. Some things you just don't want to go cheap on. With a plasma cutter, there is way too much of a chance for disaster using subpar equipment.