Quick Hitches harbor freight quick hitch

/ harbor freight quick hitch #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
After reading all the old threads on this,i finally ordered one today.[early xmas present]Even if i have to tweek it a little 69.00 is alot cheaper than any other brands ive researched.FIGURED the shipping would be a bear for something that heavy,NOT SO dont have exact amount was something like 7 bucks
I will test this puppy out,gonna get a draw bar and haul wood with the log arch trailer im building.will post
Just wanted to notify you its on saleREGULAR 99.00
plus if you use coupon 271-372-758 you get a 10 dollar gift card.
ALAN

/ harbor freight quick hitch #2  
Escavador,

I got the HF model, and it works well. The one downfall was the top-hook.
My Cat 1 attachements have support pieces connecting the A frame, so the hook cannot rise up to catch the top link.

The bottom links work just fine.

For the money, it's hard to beat. I haven't removed it since attaching it.
On the BX machines it also helps with PTO shaft lengths, I didn't have to cut my Rotary cutter or Tiller shafts, since the Quick Hitch addes another approx. 3 " of length.

Good luck with yours, I think you will like it. Check your attachments at the top link, and see if they have any obstructions that will keep the Hook from rising up to grab the link.

/ harbor freight quick hitch #3  
I bought one after reading a very lengthy thread here about them.
I 'almost' wish I hadn't.
I had to modify it as other have had to do in order to make it work.
It was too narrow (26.5 inches) between the lower hooks. It is supposed to be 27 1/4.
After I spread it with a bottle jack, it works ok but it looks a little goofy.
All of the other brands I looked at had the correct spacing but I just gave $64 for mine so I guess I can't complain.

/ harbor freight quick hitch #4  
I finally got around to measuring the HF quick hitch I got a couple of months ago. Mine is 26 1/2" across the inside. It fits all my implements with no problem. I have a 7' King Kutter PRB-84 rear blade, a KK carryall, and a 5' Howse mower.

The hitch doesn't just hook up with everything right out of the box and I don't think it can be expected to. I had to do these things -

I got rid of the bolts on the quick hitch top hook and replaced them with pins. I had to clean the hitch holes up with a Dremel first since they were too tight to let the pins through both sides and the hook.

All the implement Cat 1 bottom pins required bushings to take them up to Cat 2 diameter so they'll fit the lower quick hitch hooks properly.

The mower required the HF top link adapter because it's slotted to allow the mower to float.

The KK rear blade requires I hook into the top brace cross bolt instead of the normal top link pin. They must have designed this for quick hitch use since it has adequate clearance below it for the hook to get into the brace and hook the cross bolt. The KK installed bushing even makes the diameter right.

I had to add a bushing to the carryall top link pin to make the diameter larger so it didn't slop on the quick hitch hook.

Other than the Dremel work, I don't think any of these small issues are problems with the HF hitch in particular. I think they're just the issues you run into when converting equipment to use any quick hitch.

Overall I'm really happy with mine. For the $$ spent, it's a deal IMO.

/ harbor freight quick hitch #5  
JSharp said:
I got rid of the bolts on the quick hitch top hook and replaced them with pins. I had to clean the hitch holes up with a Dremel first since they were too tight to let the pins through both sides and the hook.

JSharp,
I did similar. ditched the bolts, used 1/2" pins, and drilled-thru all holes to make sure the pins slid in and out with ease.

I ditched the top hook altogether. made my own swivelling toplink as seen in an another thread.

For the KK Tiller I had to cut a bit of metal off of the back side of the bottom hooks, since the lower pins on the KK tiller were pretty close to it's frame.

All-in-all it's still much better than fighting the bottom link hook-up.
I may have to change the height on the top link, from attachment to attachment, but at least it's easy to get to. No more horsing with the bottom links.
My hitch/unhitch time and aggravation factor is much lower with the QH.

Like JSharp said, at $64.99 I really can't complain, it's getting the job done.

/ harbor freight quick hitch #6  
I bought a Speeco quick hitch from TSC and had problems since neither the kingkutter rear blade or the farm force carry-all (which I bought from the same TSC store) where quick hitch compatible.

I returned the Speeco and am currently using a TSC provided quick hitch that looks like this -
TRACTOR QUICK HITCH ALL CAT 1 EZ FORD DEERE KUBOTA - (eBay item 220161251181 end time Oct-26-07 14:22:08 PDT)

it's not very good-even for $30

I am probably going to buy one of these
Welcome to CARTER AND SON'S TOOL AND DIE

/ harbor freight quick hitch #7  
I bought the ones on ebay that Northland listed and they work OK for a sub compact tractor. I'm going to drill four holes in each, thread the holes and uses bolts to keep them straight will I'm hooking up. The problem I have is my 3 point attachments are different widths.

/ harbor freight quick hitch #8  
Old School-let me know how that works as not having the hitches straight seems to be my main problem as well. All my implements have different widths as well:(

/ harbor freight quick hitch #9  
I didn't have any problems with my HFQH being too narrow, but rather too wide. My BB was 28" to the outside flange, so I had to cut those and move them outboard, then weld back on. Then made a couple of longer 7/8" pins.
Next I had to trim the metal in front of the top pin so it would clear the bolts.
Need to find a couple of those HF adapters next for my middle buster and RC mower.
I think it's worth what I gave for it (was on sale for $64, then added my 15% coupon to the deal) especially if it cuts down on the 45 minutes i was spending every time I had swap the BB and mower!

/ harbor freight quick hitch #10  
Northland said:
Old School-let me know how that works as not having the hitches straight seems to be my main problem as well. All my implements have different widths as well:(

Here's the issue: when I go to a narrow implement the side bolts need to be readjusted to be able to hook up, undermining the purpose. One bolt from the bottom to keep them straight up and down and let them swivel left to right to accommodate the different widths. The bolt from the bottom also provides enough tension to keep the quick hitch aligned.

Hope that helps.