Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,151  
....I think "Dargo" is some ancient dialect for "Murphy":laughing:

So far, no complaints about the few purchases I have made from HF. I certainly appreciate people sharing their experiences so I may make informed purchases.

Regarding "Homier"- I used to enjoy going to their "Circus" events years ago. I still have two hand trucks purchased 8 years ago at 14.99 each....beaten, abused- certainly not loved.......still in good shape with original wheels. :thumbsup:

About 7 years ago, I purchased a refurbished Dewalt Air Framing Gun. The price was great, and I wagered that if it only lasted for the project I was buying it for- then it would be worth it. It is still going strong to this day!

Otherwise, Homier's quality went out the window some time ago..... There is a new 'Circus' that comes around every so often- but they are awful. Frequently they do not have what is in the sale paper, and what they do have looks to be "refurbished" by going through the dumpster for parts.

I can only hope that HF will build a store closer to me...........with the hopes that Dargo's returns won't be used to stock the new store!:D

I have to agree that the traveling gypsy tool sales are generally a lower quality than HF. I've had some luck with their tools, but I like the security of dealing with a HF store where I can return something if I need to.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,152  
I have to agree that the traveling gypsy tool sales are generally a lower quality than HF. I've had some luck with their tools, but I like the security of dealing with a HF store where I can return something if I need to.

I always wondered where those guys buy that stuff they are out trying to sell out of their trucks. My FIL bought a metal saw, engine lift and press. My BIL is still using them 30 years later. The FIL never used them much however.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,153  
I was at HF over the weekend and bought one of these. I'm a flashlight freak and this is my latest favorite toy. Boy-o-boy is this thing ever bright. Woohoo!:cool2:

...and if it fails, it's one heck of a billy club.:laughing::p

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,154  
Last night I picked up the receiver hitch vice mounting plate for $20 but did not like the quality/feel of any of the HF smaller vices when opening and closing them.

The main thing I went for was the 92801 rotary laser level that was on sale so net with 20% coupon was $40.

From working with it in the house last night I think I got it figured out how to use on laying out the 18x28 storage building with a 12" lean-to on one of the long sides that Classic Manor Buildings is to start in two weeks. They wanted it staked out but I also wanted to get it done so I will know its exact foot print. I may want to get rock down in the lean-to spot before it gets built because 28' long and access only from one end would make building the rock base a hand job for the most part.

I know a high quality self leveling laser system can run well over $1000 do I know at $40 I did not get much but it should be interesting and the laser has already got the kids attention from when I demostrated it last night.

Hopefully this weekend we will get the big limbs cut and moved out so we can get serious with the final location staking.:thumbsup:

This two story storage building is really needed. Some of the second level is going to serve as the "tree house" the kids never got. A couple days ago it hit me I could pour a slab and make some of the lean-to into a work shop that would be more secure for my tools since it is on the opposite side of the house as the drive and where in time I want to build a 'real' shop that would be big enough to pull the MH into but I have to get this building built so I can tear down what is there now and do a lot of backhoe work to get a flat area the size I desire.

I have more projects were establishing grades before starting projects would be nice so I hope the laser level works out OK for our simple use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,156  
OK this is kind of ontopic. I bought the black rolling 8 gallon compressor 2 yrs or so ago. I bought it to put up a lot of trim in my house. I bought the 1 yr extended warrenty so if it broke while the bulk of my repair was going on i would be ok. Oh i got it on sale for $89.

Now when i drain it i have noticed that there is a goo in the bottom of it? Its sticky and hard and crusty sometimes. I went to check the foam air filter since i have not done it since purchase and it was used in the dusty house while remodeling. Well here is the kicker, there was only a small piece of foam left it sucked the other through the compresser and that is what the goo is i guess.

When at HF i asked the girl did they sell the filters, cause i could get one by phone for $2 but to ship it was like 5-8$. She said no they dont sell them but if i brought my compresser back they would just swap it out, i said the compresser is fine i just need the filter, she said thats no problem just come get a new one. I told her my "extended" warrenty has been over for like a year or more, and she said thats no problem, we will just sell you a new extended warrenty for $20 and then swap out the offending (she did not use this term, i did ) item for a replacement and the other will be sent off to be refurb and sent to dargo :laughing::laughing: (i added this to), but reallly she said they would refurb it. SO i m sitting here like whats the point to buy a warrenty if i can come in at anytime and get a new one after buying a warrenty she did not really understand my question, but said she would go check with the manager, who told her yea my warrenty is expired but if i bought a new $20 extended warrenty they would swap out my compressor. Man i call that standing behind there junk. I think i am tempted to buy it and swap for only $10 more than buying a filter then its all new, just wish i had done that befor i replaced the broken regulater that i got from lowes that is worse than the HF one and so i bough a HF replacement regulator.

So if yall store is like mine just buy a 1 yr warrenty or no warrenty and when it breaks go to the store and say your out of warrenty but want to replace it they will sell you a warrenty and then replace the tool that really was out of warrenty, this place is crazy but my kind of store. Of course there is the return hassle to deal with of driving to the store etc.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,157  
Clemsonfor since finding the HF store in our region I have been trying to figure out how they operate.

The ONLY thing I can compute in my pea brain is they have some really high GROSS margins on what they sell. Yesterday I did get the $60 level for $40 but spent $100 more on other stuff that I have lived 59 years without. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,158  
I have noticed that HF sales people are more agressive about selling these extended warranties recently. I suspect they have some sort of incentive plan for the staff. Funny because you can barely get an answer from them while looking for stuff but once you select it they are all over you with extended warranty offers. Seems like a short sighted attempt to increase profits (extended warranties we all know are mostly profit) as they foster attitudes amongst their staff (as noted above by Clemsonfor) that clearly work against the companies interests and common sense.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,159  
we will just sell you a new extended warrenty for $20 and then swap out the offending (she did not use this term, i did ) item for a replacement and the other will be sent off to refurb and send to dargo :laughing::laughing:.

I seriously about fell off my chair from laughing so hard when I read that. Way to catch me off guard with a good dig.

Dargo, I hope you know we love you. We just love Harbor Freight more. ;)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,160  
I agree they proably make $3 or something for the purchase of an extended plan, but why in the world would i now buy it, if according to the manager,who i saw her go speak with , i can just buy it when it tears up and then swap it out. Basically if it dosent tear up i never spend the money, but if it does tear up i do spend it, yet still get my new item? :confused2:

Me too on the purchase of other junk. I went to HF to buy the biggest crowbars they had (i'm tearing out the plywood and hardwood combination in my living room (long story about the combination). They were 3 feet or so, i bought one for me and one for the wife $8.99/ piece. I did not feel that was a bad deal (latter i saw a similar size at lowes for $13+. Anyway i found the "headlight restorer kit" i-net sale for $8.99 (was the cheaper of the 2 kits they sell). Thats another thing i used it and that thing was worth it it took my 20 yr old hazed ranger headlights and made them look brand new. So it dont suck!!!! Then i bought some staples for my floor nailer ($35) i bought there on a super saver sale months back (anticipating this project) for like $70. Then picked up the metal cuting disks on sale and a close out 2ton bottle jack for a little over $4 and some lightweight ratchet straps ($5) for securing the bushog from flapping on the trailer and extra implements on the trailer. Any way my trip to buy what i figured would be $20 worth of crowbars ended up being like $90!!!!