Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,532  
Rule of thumb...whatever current it takes at 120v it will take 10 times that at 12v. So to draw 2000 watts/16A at 120v then you need 160A at 12v to supply it. So no most alternators won't keep up with that.

Need help here: About the inverters. 2000 watts at 120v = about 16.666 amps of power. Doing some checking a circular saw may draw about 13a, a corded drill, maybe 7a. So why the "banked" batteries? Or is it that the alternator would be unable to keep up with the battery discharge? ~ sign me "Electrically Challenged Scotty"

2000 Watt Continuous/4000 Watt Peak Power Inverter

Scotty I am struggling with all the factors too. :)

Skyco covered it well. Download the manual from the link above and it shows the size of battery bank needed to run different loads. Someone was talking about using the alternator. I would want at least a 300 amp alternator if going to use the full potential

This inverter is for my golf cart we bought as a run about or in the motorhome.

While the golf cart is 36v/105 amp this morning I drew up the cable diagram to also give a 12v/ 315 amp output at the same time. Well they will be there at the same time but if the cart is moving we will not be using the electric pole saw at the same time. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,533  
Something else that has worked for me are their boxes of "acid Brushes", assuming you don't pay retail.
They come in 1/2" to 4" and are great for things to be brushed that you don't want to waste a paint bush. Norm on PBS uses them to spread glue.
I use for glue. oil, paint touch-up, etc.
Cheap, good and one-time use.

I have dozens of the 1" ones...Saw them on sale and forgot I already had a case...:ashamed::confused2:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,536  
Gale/Skyco- Thanks for the Education! To: CTF and Cali: I once had cohort at work, come up with the statement: "It's so cheap, you can't afford, not to buy it!" :confused2::confused2::confused2:???? ~Scotty

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,537  
That's what I always say to myself..."It may be junk, but at least it's on sale"...:thumbsup:

The inverter was not a must buy but it was on sale for $160 already but the Super Coupon in the Feb mail out flyer it was only $130 so I went for it. After church the son and I took it out of the box. It has both a volt and amp readout looks quite nice.

I just can not stand to have those six 6 volt batteries just setting there most of the time. :D

Having a parallel 12v and series 36v at the same time just seems cool.

Getting five 12x18 heavy silver tarps for $75 I just could not pass up either. $5-$15 items can reallty add up at the cash register too.:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,539  
Pick three 12 volt batteries (actually pairs of 6's) and tie the + posts of those three together and do the same for the negative posts.

You are just connecting three 12v batteries in parallel in effect.

This will give us the current 36v/105 amp tap to the 36v cart motor and with parallel on top of the series we will have the 12v/315 amp tap for the invert.

I do not have a scanner or I would upload my church bulletin. :D

At this point I guess I will take the cheap route min number of cables due to the size they will need to be to cope with possible loads.

For those who wants the advantage of a 36v to 12v converter without the cost for just radio/lights the wiring could not have be very heavy at all.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,540  
Pick three 12 volt batteries (actually pairs of 6's) and tie the + posts of those three together and do the same for the negative posts.

You are just connecting three 12v batteries in parallel in effect.

This will give us the current 36v/105 amp tap to the 36v cart motor and with parallel on top of the series we will have the 12v/315 amp tap for the invert.

I do not have a scanner or I would upload my church bulletin. :D

At this point I guess I will take the cheap route min number of cables due to the size they will need to be to cope with possible loads.

For those who wants the advantage of a 36v to 12v converter without the cost for just radio/lights the wiring could not have be very heavy at all.

I guess I don't understand what you are doing. If you wire all the + terminals together and all the - terminals together, you will have a very heavy duty 12 volt battery but you can not run your 36 volt cart motor off of it unless you remove the cables and hook them back up in series. Am I missing something?