Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,451  
HF also has a third, smaller one. Its called
Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer #93983 on the website so a search on 'infrared' misses it.
The blister-pack for mine has the title 'Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer'.

Its manual says: See Http://www.ZyTemp.com where it seems to be model TN105 Compact Infrared Thermometer. ZyTemp appears to be a quality manufacturer and offers an optional 'Certificate of Calibration - traceable to national lab standard' certifying 2% accuracy.

ZyTemp's page explains the field of view for this model is 1:1, ie it sees a circle with diameter equal to the distance from the object. Their home page shows a pistol grip model with laser that has 1:100 field of view, obviously better if you don't want to get up close.

1:1 field of view for $7.99 works fine for me.

This is the one I've got. Tonight I am using it to check out an LP gas camper refrigerator. Hard to tell if they are working right away, but with this I can scan the cooling fins inside.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,452  
I've had some annoying experiences with HF (breaking stuff) in the last few weeks, so am a bit annoyed with them currently.

One question - I did buy jack stands from them. Was that a really bad idea? My thought was, "how can you mess up a jack stand" but really cheap metal would do it... Anyone have any experience before I trust them?

Forget where it is and run over it with a tractor?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,453  
for firefighting, I think one of those thermal imaging cameras would be better. That way you can see a whole wall or flor at once, and see how hot all the differnt places are. Also good for finding people in rubble.

Yeah, we (firefighters) use thermal imaging cameras...believe me, they aren't $29.99...maybe add three extra zeros to that...:confused2:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,454  
how can you mess up a jack stand
Dunno but HF did it!

I took one back that could extend beyond the top ratchet notch. At full height the stem rested - crooked - on a light-gauge shoulder inside the top of the base. Yes I had bent in the extension-limit tab and it hadn't yet reached the tab.

HF took it back for exchange with no hassle when I demonstrated the problem.

Suggestion: Check for this after you get yours home and have bent in the extension-limit tabs.

The jackstand is very hazardous if the upper half is pointed way off center and prevented from sliding down only by that lightweight internal shoulder.

I was trying to kick the stand under this implement while I held it up - (to weld mounts on it -see thread) when I discovered the jackstand looked bent.

'Some Assembly Required' ... ie the final quality control lookover. Cause they sure don't do it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,455  
I was reading on the "knock off" subject and ran across a story from a German tool machine maker. He (at a trade event) found a 'knock out' of one of their machines that had been purchased by a China company.

The techs at the show got very excited to talk with the OEM of the machine. They were asking for pointers how to improve their 'knock off" and the German said they were very serious about making it better. They never once to understand the German firm was not as excited about their 'knock off' skills.

I hear MB stopped building cars in China because of the problem. Some vehicles/tractors are copied so well that the sheet metal parts will interchange quite well I understand.

and MB is one the few real trendsetter large companies left, no wonder they worry

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,456  
Dunno but HF did it!

I took one back that could be extended beyond the top ratchet notch. At full height the stem rested - crooked - on a light-gauge shoulder inside the top of the base. Yes I had bent in the extension-limit tab and it hadn't yet reached the tab.

HF took it back for exchange with no hassle when I demonstrated the problem.

Suggestion: Check for this after you get yours home and have bent in the extension-limit tabs.

The jackstand is very hazardous if the upper half is pointed way off center and prevented from sliding down only by that lightweight internal shoulder.

I was trying to kick the stand under this implement while I held it up - (to weld mounts on it -see thread) when I discovered the jackstand looked bent.

'Some Assembly Required' ... ie the final quality control lookover. Cause they sure don't do it.

Too many people killed being smashed by falling cars. It doesn't make the big press much is all. I use 16" peices of cut up railroad ties as back up blocks. Oak doesnt break as sudden as concrete blocks.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,457  
This is the one I've got. Tonight I am using it to check out an LP gas camper refrigerator. Hard to tell if they are working right away, but with this I can scan the cooling fins inside.

Just a heads up on getting more accurate reading from most all of the IR thermometers is to use a piece of electrical tape on any shiny metal surfaces you are checking the temperature on. Scotch 33 has an emissivity of 0.99 and all of the non adjustable IR detectors are set to 1.0 (close enough to 0.99). Shinny metal has a much lower emissivity and will skew the readings considerably. Most painted surfaces (unless metallic paint) will have an emissivity of around 1.0 and should read OK. If you are interested in more accurate readings.:thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,458  
I had my biggest process stolen by a chinese company, a few smaller ones by japanese companies and several by a big american company. They piece together things you say while doing business with you. I think to asian companies there is no understanding of trade secrets etc. and if they learn something, so be it. The big american company was downright sneaky and deceptive.
That sounds like what I read happened to Perkins Diesel. They set up an assembly line in China anticipating a huge new market. Soon their Chinese partner voided their contracts and threw them out, and was supported by the Chinese court system. Now China Perkins Diesel (they even use the trademark) sells the same engines worldwide, has no relationship to Perkins, not even royalties, and I think far outsells Perkins.

I understand the same thing happened to Jeep/Chrysler/Mercedes. Soon a showroom opened across the street selling clone Jeeps (the modern models) for less than the real thing and emphasizing 'buy local'. Maybe that was the basis for Mercedes departing.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,459  
That sounds like what I read happened to Perkins Diesel. They set up an assembly line in China anticipating a huge new market. Soon their Chinese partner voided their contracts and threw them out, and was supported by the Chinese court system. Now China Perkins Diesel (they even use the trademark) sells the same engines worldwide, has no relationship to Perkins, not even royalties, and I think far outsells Perkins.

I understand the same thing happened to Jeep/Chrysler/Mercedes. Soon a showroom opened across the street selling clone Jeeps (the modern models) for less than the real thing and emphasizing 'buy local'. Maybe that was the basis for Mercedes departing.

Even with all the examples I still don't think "idea theft" is the main reason about everything is made elsewhere. I think its mainly because they work alot harder than americans do nowdays. You can also add the fact that governments have become more industry friendly elsewhere.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,460  

Just to clarify, even with all the examples I still don't think "idea theft" is the main reason about everything is made elsewhere. I think its mainly because they work alot harder than americans do nowdays. You can also add the fact that governments have become more industry friendly elsewhere. Pakistan and India have become industry giants and I'm glad for them. They used to be starving nations. They've done the work, they've kept government in check enough to produce, good for them!