Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,031  
I bought one of these a few months ago. Already paid for itself in sharper chainsaw blades

image_13983.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,032  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,033  
Re: Recall - HF blue 19.2V Cordless Drill

WOW thats scarey, I remove or try to remoe my bats when not in use. I had a well know Ryobi that melted from the switch as well,HD didnt seem to want to exchange it either..Like anything , pull the battery when possible.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,034  
Re: Recall - HF blue 19.2V Cordless Drill

WOW thats scarey, I remove or try to remoe my bats when not in use. I had a well know Ryobi that melted from the switch as well,HD didnt seem to want to exchange it either..Like anything , pull the battery when possible.

Absolutely...these lithium batts can go bonkers and heat up and cause problems. Same thing when charging them--keep an eye on them and watch how hot they can get.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,035  
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday, killing time while the spouse was at the craft/ fabric store down the street.
There was 41/2" angle grinder on sale for 9.99$.:rolleyes: :shocked: :drool:

Looked to be of good quality...so I figured I would regret leaving the store without it even though I already have 2.
I can justify 3 grinders, as it's quicker than having to switch from a cutoff wheel to a grinding wheel to a wire brush... Anyway... it's mine and it seems to be OK even though it's only 4.5 amps, enough for a cup brush.
For 10$ I figured I would give it a go ...90 day warranty.

Thanks for giving me the necessary rationalization to buy another grinder (I just bought my 2nd-their 4.5" paddle switched model and haven't used it yet), your grinder swapping vs wheel/disk swapping is a great efficiency improver.
Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,036  
Can't beat that for an angle grinder. I like the idea of not having to change out discs like you said.

I recently picked up an OBDII scanner essentially as an "open box return" not used.
View attachment 290159

This is the "top end" model. Very easy to use- scrolling through the menu and finding the data I needed was easy. I haven't yet tried to upload anything to my computer or- update the software. For my needs, tieing anything to my computer isn't a necessity. I have heard that some probems may arise with updating the software but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I now will be able to do a lot more of the maintenance on my vehices and save substantial money. Already, on our Audi- I have been able to deal with several issues that have persisted. That alone has saved at least one $80.00 scan at the dealership.

We have one, and it has saved several family members from expensive "fault-hunting" service bills and repair scams.
Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,037  
Can't beat that for an angle grinder. I like the idea of not having to change out discs like you said.

I recently picked up an OBDII scanner essentially as an "open box return" not used.
View attachment 290159

This is the "top end" model. Very easy to use- scrolling through the menu and finding the data I needed was easy. I haven't yet tried to upload anything to my computer or- update the software. For my needs, tieing anything to my computer isn't a necessity. I have heard that some probems may arise with updating the software but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I now will be able to do a lot more of the maintenance on my vehices and save substantial money. Already, on our Audi- I have been able to deal with several issues that have persisted. That alone has saved at least one $80.00 scan at the dealership.

I was toying with buying one for some time. After finally breaking down and getting a smart phone I ended up buying a wireless (blue tooth) OBDII adapter for the phone and downloaded an app. For less than $30 it works great. If you have a fault it'll read the code, a description, and ask if you want to search the internet for more detailed info. It'll display any gauge or sensor that's connected to the computer. It'll even read the tire pressure sensors on cars that display the actual pressure. You can even drive down the road and display any gauge or sensor as well as chart it in case you have a problem that's not giving a check engine code.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,038  
crazyal said:
I was toying with buying one for some time. After finally breaking down and getting a smart phone I ended up buying a wireless (blue tooth) OBDII adapter for the phone and downloaded an app. For less than $30 it works great. If you have a fault it'll read the code, a description, and ask if you want to search the internet for more detailed info. It'll display any gauge or sensor that's connected to the computer. It'll even read the tire pressure sensors on cars that display the actual pressure. You can even drive down the road and display any gauge or sensor as well as chart it in case you have a problem that's not giving a check engine code.

That sounds like an amazing ap. do you have a link or any additional info?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,039  
The app is called "torque" it's for Android phones.
Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle
The website isn't all that great but the app works very well. In fact I opted to pay the $5 for the upgrade.
Here's the adapter I bought. I paid more because it's a US seller. If you don't mind buying direct from China you can get it for half the price. I think the price has gone up a few bucks but it's still only $25.
Interfuse Mini Car Diagnostic Scanner - ELM327 v1.5 OBD-II Bluetooth for Android | eBay

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,040  
I have a similar Bluetooth adapter that I got on Amazon and Touchscan installed on my laptop (which has a bluetooth adapter in it). $40 total invested and it works well for most gas vehicles. Touchscan doesn't read many codes on Diesels (or at least not on my parents '99 E350 w/ the 7.3L diesel).
Touchscan lists for $35, but some sites (I think I used mp3car) have it on sale for $25 with great regularity.

Aaron Z