Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,181  
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread or not, but the new Lawnmower/ATV lift is excellent, especially for the price. I highly recommend it. It has a maximum 300 pound lift capacity and comes with a 90 money back guarantee or an even exchange.
I had one but brought it back because I overloaded the lift capacity about 3 times more the maximum capacity and blew out the seals in the jack. Totally my fault. Even after that, the jack still worked but not like it should and it didn't trust it.
The coupon price ends 03-31-14 so you might wanna pick one up for the $77.99 price. But you can also use a 25% off coupon or get an online coupon code (google search) and show it at the register. That brings the price down to $58.50 plus tax. Folks this can't be beat! Well worth it!! If you use the right coupon you can also get a free tape measure like I did.

Attachments

• image-1602135073.jpg
    image-1602135073.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 183
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#4,183  
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread or not, but the new Lawnmower/ATV lift is excellent, especially for the price. ........
That's a great price. My solution is to mount a 110 volt hoist from the rafters. It is a little more versatile, for instance I can suspend 3 point attachments and easily guide them into place.

Electric Hoist - 880 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,184  
I looked into the Pro Lifts and other lifts but they didn't extend wide enough for the caster wheels on my mower (Hustler Super Z). But the Harbor Freight lift did so I figured I'd try it. It worked but wouldn't lift it up all the way.
When I returned the HF lift, I ordered the MoJack Pro from Home Depot online. This thing is the lift of lawnmower lifts. Expensive but well worth it. They even price matched the lowest price I could find online.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,185  
Ultrasonic Cleaning

I'm sure this may have been posted before but gonna share it anyways. I bought my wife a HF ultrasonic cleaner for her vast jewelry collection :shocked: then she found out that they weren't good on the settings of her rings. I had mentioned that I was going to get one for myself to clean parts with. My eyes popped outward when she said I could have hers. What?
View attachment 368069

Just wish it was a bit deeper for larger carbs. I have a couple of rare ATV's and spare parts and wanted to clean them up. I used some "simple green" cut with water. I stripped down the carb and set it in. I set the temp to 180 degrees and the timer to max at eight minutes. Since the carb would not be totally immersed, I had to roll it over every other cycle. I did this quite a few times. You tell me whether it worked or not. I was amazed.

Here's a picture of two Mikuni BTM32SH carbs. One cleaned and assembled and the other yet to be cleaned. They where both equally dirty.

View attachment 368070 View attachment 368071 View attachment 368072 View attachment 368073

The next pictures are a closer shot of the one I cleaned. Simply amazing.

View attachment 368074 View attachment 368075 View attachment 368076 View attachment 368077 View attachment 368078 View attachment 368079 View attachment 368080

Using different combinations of cleaner for different types of metals. Going to start on the second one tomorrow. -kid

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,186  
kid--On the ultrasonic cleaner, that's good information to know.

Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

I notice the cleaning times seem to be very short . How did that work for you? Have you noticed any downsides to the cleaner or any problems with any connected parts on things being cleaned? Was it only bad on your wife's rings or equally bad on other jewelry as well? Any info helpful since this type of tool would work for me.

Other guys, don't let a wife's jewelry volume or shoe number be a deterrent. For me, the shoes proved helpful for me recently when she asked why I needed more tools. My answer was "well, how many pairs of shoes do you need". Case closed and I probably could have bought another tractor at that point. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,187  
kid--On the ultrasonic cleaner, that's good information to know. Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter I notice the cleaning times seem to be very short . How did that work for you? Have you noticed any downsides to the cleaner or any problems with any connected parts on things being cleaned? Was it only bad on your wife's rings or equally bad on other jewelry as well? Any info helpful since this type of tool would work for me. Other guys, don't let a wife's jewelry volume or shoe number be a deterrent. For me, the shoes proved helpful for me recently when she asked why I needed more tools. My answer was "well, how many pairs of shoes do you need". Case closed and I probably could have bought another tractor at that point. :D

As far as the Mrs jewelry, it's. What she has heard. The ultrasonic cleaner isn't perfect and it won't perform like the bigger high powered units will. IMHO small tractor carbs would easily fit inside submersed. On severely grimy ones, I'd suggest a presoak in a parts cleaning solution using a petroleum based cleaner. Then go into the ultrasonic. The more open cavities the waves have to enter the better the job. I had one main jet i just couldn't get it to turn loose. The ultrasonic cleaner did an. Excellent job cleaning. It since it was fully open on both sides.

The cycle time is meant probably to allow. The signal generator to rest momentarily. The bigger professional ones have a greater run time. A lot of guys use it to clean spent brass rounds with a specified cleaner and from pictures it does a great job for that purpose. HF also has a tumbler to polish to make brass or certain metals look like new.

I am quite please with the result of this small unit. Although it took ten to fifteen cycles because half the carb was out of the solution but worked non the less.

BTW using a petroleum based cleaner in this unit is not recommended due to the fact it heats the fluid and raised the flashpoint.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,188  
the ultra sonic cleaning loosens the stones in their settings ( they are now no longer held firmly by the claws or retainers ) imagine loosing a diamond from her engagement ring and have to replace it ( yeh, it happens ! )

for chains , solid rings , solid things , they are great and get into every nook and cranny ....

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,189  
the ultra sonic cleaning loosens the stones in their settings ( they are now no longer held firmly by the claws or retainers ) imagine loosing a diamond from her engagement ring and have to replace it ( yeh, it happens ! )

for chains , solid rings , solid things , they are great and get into every nook and cranny ....

The ultrasonic cleaners also destroy pearls.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,190  
What are the Mikunis for? I had a Mazda GLC in the 80's, and we put an aftermarket kit of header, a pair of twin throat sidedraft Mikunis with new intake manifolds, modified distributor and I forget what else on it. Truly a great little car, but if you had emissions inspections to pass, you were in trouble. It sure sounded nice when you opened the throttles, with gravel guard air cleaners and the headers on the other side. I even rigged up a system to advance the throttle a bit when the AC compressor kicked in, using the emissions parts I had taken off.