Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #981  
The headband LED lights work well. Definitely will not take a smash to the head though lol.

Ken

Maybe I'll try another. I don't consider the failure of mine a manufacturer's defect. :eek:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #982  
Thanks for the warning but already I only visit Autozone if the other options are a no go. :D

The funny part is I do not know/remember why. :confused:

Maybe you had the same experience I had eight years ago. You go in to the store, go up to the counter, the clerk asks what it is you need, you begin to tell him and he cuts you off in mid-sentence to take a phone call. You stand there for what seems like an hour (probably more like a minute or two) while he talks the other customer on the phone. I turned around and left the store, haven't been to an Auto Zone store ever since. The way I was taught was that the customer standing in front of you has priority. The one on the phone can either wait on hold or call back.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #983  
seems most of the big wrenches/sockets from HF are decent. my dad has a 3/4" drive ratchet/socket set, and it's big and heavy. seems like it would take a bit for any of it to break.

Come to think of it, I have a huge 3/4" and 1" socket set of up to several inches for farm use. I think it starts at 1 1/4" and goes up. It's a serious set with strong sockets and pretty good looking breaker bars. I also bought a 1" drive ratchet. I have put a lot of pressure on this stuff and nothing has ever broken or bent. The breaker bars and ratchet feel like they want to snap--and I'm ready for it--but they just don't do it.
The sockets also get used as as impact sockets, which I shouldn't but no breaks yet. I have owned them for maybe 8 years.The set was on "sale" for $50 back then and since a USA set would cost many times as much, my occasional use makes it good for me.

Also have a set of 1/2" impact sockets and I have beat the living snot out of them with pure abuse and not a one has broken.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #984  
Thanks for the warning but already I only visit Autozone if the other options are a no go. :D

The funny part is I do not know/remember why. :confused:

Haha yeah I'm glad i found a HF closer instead of 75 miles one way (what we do to shop at the store LOL) The one closer is in NJ but I have to pay a toll but worth it!

havent brought any hand tools yet but I need a dead blow.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #985  
Maybe you had the same experience I had eight years ago. You go in to the store, go up to the counter, the clerk asks what it is you need, you begin to tell him and he cuts you off in mid-sentence to take a phone call. You stand there for what seems like an hour (probably more like a minute or two) while he talks the other customer on the phone. I turned around and left the store, haven't been to an Auto Zone store ever since. The way I was taught was that the customer standing in front of you has priority. The one on the phone can either wait on hold or call back.

Yeah that bothers me too..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #986  

Here is a strategy that I came up with and it works.

Borrow their phone to make a call. Call them and tell them you are sending someone over right away to get the xyz. Now this has multiple beneficial effects: 1. it ties up two of their lines giving you a greater % of their attention, 2. they always seem to service the caller ahead of the walk-in customer so you are given higher priority.

It is with varying degrees of difficulty that you get the counter man to pull the stock in anticipation of the arrival of the "guy" sent to get the parts for this "rush job." When the guy gets the parts and has them set aside for "insert your name here" you announce that you are there to pick up the parts for the rush job that was phoned in. I have done it and it works.

If the danged counter guy would just put a caller on hold and let me finish describing what I want and then get it and sell it to me without making me wait through at least one if not more phone calls from Lookie Lou price shoppers who probably aren't going to buy anyway then I wouldn't feel free to con them.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #987  
Here's another 20% off coupon.

Factory Direct To You!

There's a new store opening, and the ads on the local news site linked to this page with the coupon. The coupon itself doesn't make any reference to the new store so it should work anywhere.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #988  
Here's another 20% off coupon.

Factory Direct To You!

There's a new store opening, and the ads on the local news site linked to this page with the coupon. The coupon itself doesn't make any reference to the new store so it should work anywhere.

Even better; my favorite (serious, not kidding) yellow handled hammers are on sale for $1.99 too! It's hammer time baby. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #989  
Dargo, me thinks you protest too much about HF. I think you have a girlfriend behind the counter or you actually have a soft spot in your heart for HF.:thumbsup:

I would certainly consider myself in the category of HF shopper that hopes against hope that the tools are going to do as advertised for at least a job or two. I'd never buy Snap On equivalent due to cost so for me the choice is often to either buy something from HF and do the work myself or pay a professional to do it for me. So far I've come out ahead as the HF tools I've bought have often allowed me to tackle tasks I'd not try without adding a few tools to my collection.

I've also used HF tools as a guidepost to decide what tools I am willing to spend money on to get something substantially better than HF's offering. For example the new HF multifunction oscillating tool even at $50 seemed like a waste of money so I bought the original Fein version at many times the cost. However, an extra set of ratcheting wrenches for $20 or a jumbo wrench set for $40 or an anvil at a buck a pound seems a no brainer as I would be loath to purchase such items for three or four times the cost from a more reputable manufacturer. On the other hand, while I really would like a 4 or 5 hp compressor I just cannot bring myself to trust HF on that sort of equipment and try to steer clear of complex devices too. Still, truth be told I did buy a $250 drain cleaner that more than paid for itself in one use but that just backs up my point about considering the cost of HF tools compared to hiring a professional to do the job.

So Dargo, I think you are kinda like the guy in school who teases only the pretty girls he's actually interested in when he's afraid to acknowledge as much. Come clean.:D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #990  
I bought the little 8 gallon 2HP compressor for use in the garage. It is oil cooled, very loud, but works well. I think I got it on sale for $90.

Of course, it was a project: I had to adjust the cutoff pressure because it slowly worked itself down to cutting off at 105 lbs and not kicking in until it reach 80lbs. It is rated at 115lbs, so I adjusted it up to 120lbs. Now my framing nailer always has at least 95PSI available to it. Actually, I think I need to adjust it again.

Oh, yeah, it is portable enough that I was lugging it around to various projects around the house. My 60 gallon compressor doesn't lend itself to moving around, and 200 feet of air hose is just too much to deal with.

The main downside is that it won't start up if you are too far from the breaker. I have to run 12 gauge extension cord to a 20A outlet near the breaker in the garage. I have successfully run it on 160 feet of 12 gauge extension cord, though. Also, I have a Honda EU2000i generator, and that will not power the compressor.

On the other hand, I picked up a used Porter Cable 2 gallon 1 HP 150 PSI compressor off Craigslist for $100, and it came with a free brand new brad nailer. The PC is quiet, will run off my generator, is very light weight, and doesn't require fiddling with the cutoff.

The 8 gallon HF compressor does just fine with my impact wrench: I haven't tried the 2 gallon PC compressor with the impact wrench, but I suspect it may have trouble keeping up.