Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,511  
I need to surface sand a floor in a small room. It's only 9' x 13' and the floor is in fair shape with a few spots and stains, but it won't need an aggressive sand down. I don't have a rental yard close enough by to go for a floor sander. I have a very, very old belt sander (either Skil or B&D, labels are long gone) that keeps throwing belts. The C/E version is discontinued and they only have the Warrior and Bauer. Is the Bauer worth the extra $15?

$54.99

$39.99

Edit .....

Now I see a coupon for the Bauer at $49.99 and one for the Warrior at $29.99 which makes it a $20 difference.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,512  
I've had great luck with this grinder. The thought of spending $100+ on a grinder to suck in cutting wheel, flap disk, and grinding wheel debris just doesn't sit well with me and when I went through 2 expensive grinders within a month, I figured I'd give this a shot. It's been probably 4 years now and it's still going strong. I'm not exactly easy with my grinders, so it's probably been close to overheating several times but it doesn't seem to hurt it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#14,513  
I need to surface sand a floor in a small room. It's only 9' x 13' and the floor is in fair shape with a few spots and stains, but it won't need an aggressive sand down. I don't have a rental yard close enough by to go for a floor sander. I have a very, very old belt sander (either Skil or B&D, labels are long gone) that keeps throwing belts. The C/E version is discontinued and they only have the Warrior and Bauer. Is the Bauer worth the extra $15?

$54.99

$39.99

Edit .....

Now I see a coupon for the Bauer at $49.99 and one for the Warrior at $29.99 which makes it a $20 difference.
I'd go for the better, Bauer. I burned up a belt sander doing a floor like that and in my experience, the Warrior brand is just barely OK.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,514  
I might take back anything good I had said about the 1/2" drive Bauer 20V impact, For whatever reason I trusted it when I put the lugnuts on my F350 and almost lost a rear tire with the camper in the truck and towing about 7000lb... so like 18k pounds combined... could have went bad but stopped with 3 lug studs left on the rear drivers side tire... luckily I was paying attention and the auto parts store was open, I made it back home fine with only an hour and a half stopped...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,516  
Too loose or too tight?

Rechecking tightness after a wheel has been mounted is something I've gotten into the habit of always doing: I usually do it after 50 miles or so of driving. Most of the time, things are fine, but occasionally I'll find a couple that are not to spec. Worst case was when I got in a jam and had my winter tires put on by one of those "quick-lube" type places when my regular guy was too backed up to get to it. I'm not sure if they just did not tighten some nuts properly. I know they didn't bother to clean off the rust/dirt/crud that was on the mating surfaces prior to mounting.

Too tight is an issue that far too many people ignore. It's not difficult to do damage to a fastener by overtightening, and it's not always apparent by looking at it. This can happen with an impact wrench or when tightening by hand. Once a fastener has been over-stressed, it just can't be relied on.

I'm not saying either of these problems were Rangerfredbob's issue... just a word of warning to folks to remember to double check.

I used to use the "two grunts and a fart" method of estimating the proper torque on my lug nuts. Then for a while I switched to an impact wrench. I found I had real trouble assessing just how tight I was getting things. Now I might use the impact to spin the nut on, but on its lowest setting, and I don't keep hammering - I stop knowing I'm well short of the required torque (or I'll just spin them on by hand). Then I follow up with a torque wrench. When I'm on the road, I don't have a torque wrench, but using one has given me a better feel for how far to push things when using the lug wrench.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,517  
Rechecking tightness after a wheel has been mounted is something I've gotten into the habit of always doing: I usually do it after 50 miles or so of driving. Most of the time, things are fine, but occasionally I'll find a couple that are not to spec.
+1 on that! I had aftermarket wheels on an F-150 I had back in the 80s/90s, and those rims were notorious for needing to be re-torqued after 50 mi. or so. Always caught it in time, but still...
I'd go with the better one. $50 isn't that much, and you're likely to minimize the chance of the smoke getting out before the job's complete, as well as probably less vibration, etc. I don't envy you in your project...I tried sanding a floor once with a hand belt sander. Once. Once was enough!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,518  
I might take back anything good I had said about the 1/2" drive Bauer 20V impact, For whatever reason I trusted it when I put the lugnuts on my F350 and almost lost a rear tire with the camper in the truck and towing about 7000lb... so like 18k pounds combined... could have went bad but stopped with 3 lug studs left on the rear drivers side tire... luckily I was paying attention and the auto parts store was open, I made it back home fine with only an hour and a half stopped...
How is any of that the impact's fault? If you trusted it to properly tighten your lugs and didn't follow up with a torque wrench, then that is entirely on you.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,519  
They were too loose...

Not blaming the impact on that, but if you put a wrench on anything after installing it with that impact it's surprisingly wimpy... It "sounds" impressive but it isn't... I could have gotten a dud, I might try to tinker with it at some point...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,520  
They were too loose...

Not blaming the impact on that, but if you put a wrench on anything after installing it with that impact it's surprisingly wimpy... It "sounds" impressive but it isn't... I could have gotten a dud, I might try to tinker with it at some point...
You should see if they rated your particular model on the Torque Test Channel on YouTube. They do some great testing of a wide variety of brands and models.

{EDIT}
Found what I think is your model in this test of 1/2" budget cordless impact wrenches (this review was focused on mid-torque models). The Bauer finished dead last. It was physically the largest of the tools tested (as big as many high torque models). In particular, they noted that Harbor Freight is know for "making particularly proud torque claims". In this case, it made only 66% of it's claimed torque.

Last edited: