Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #11  
The 3pt hitch backhoes aren't that bad....back in the late 70's early 80's we had a small farm and we had a Kubota 245DT with a 3pt backhoe.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we did with that thing. Way more than what you're proposing. Plus, if you have soft soil, it should be easy digging.

That Yanmar is just beggin for a hoe.

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #12  
I looked hard at the HF backhoe last year and decided to make a MetKit 708 Cadddigger with high performance cylinders instead. Health issues have delayed construction until cooler weather this fall. I suspect most problems with 3pt backhoes are off axis work at far reach. I will have no time pressure and can move my tractor as needed to keep the hoe force working against the pads. If I break it I all ready bought it and Tommy can sell me some new tractor parts.
Harold

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe
Builder said:
The 3pt hitch backhoes aren't that bad....back in the late 70's early 80's we had a small farm and we had a Kubota 245DT with a 3pt backhoe.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we did with that thing. Way more than what you're proposing. Plus, if you have soft soil, it should be easy digging.

That Yanmar is just beggin for a hoe.
I may have located a Kubota K-650 backhoe. Is that what you had?

I started a thread on that subject over in Kubota Buying forum to see if someone can describe that model, since a search here and on Google returns nothing.

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #14  
You should be able to get a Woods BH6000 with a 3pt kit for under $5000. Use it, and then sell it on ebay when your done.

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #15  
For all the work and applications that you have, I would strongly recommend forgetting the towable unit. It and you will get worn out very fast. Try sticking with eBay for a while for something that you can really use. Do an advanced search for a backhoe within 200 miles with email notification for new items. Last year, I bought a meticulously maintained Case 580CK for $6000. It needed absolutely nothing, came with three sizes rear buckets, all manuals, and a bunch of spare parts. It runs like a charm and the only money put into it over the last year has been fuel, grease and an oil change. Maybe I was just lucky.

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe
Ok, I appreciate everyone's advice. Several of you persuaded me the HF unit is an ineffective toy, and to look for a real backhoe.

I found one! It's a Kubota 3-point backhoe, sized for the model Kubota (L225) that is a near-twin to my Yanmar in size, hp, and age. That's a 4x8 trailer in my photo for a size comparison.

It's in excellent condition since the original owner was a farmer who only used it occasionally. I don't see any wear at all in the pins.

The Kubota dealer says these were supplied by a US manufacturer, so I would like to identify the real manufacturer if possible. Does anyone recognise my photos?

I'll continue posting in this thread for a bit, while I am asking dumb beginner questions :) then start a new backhoe thread over in the Yanmar forum (my TBN home).

Thank you to all of you. There is tremendous breadth and depth of expertise here and I appreciate your sharing.

Attachments

• P1110945rBH1.jpg
    P1110945rBH1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 6,455
  • P1110947rBH2detail.jpg
    P1110947rBH2detail.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 3,002
   / Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #17  
I think you'll be really glad you went for the real thing. It looks to be in real good shape.
Enjoy it!

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #18  
California said:
Ok, I appreciate everyone's advice. Several of you persuaded me the HF unit is an ineffective toy, and to look for a real backhoe.

I found one! It's a Kubota 3-point backhoe, sized for the model Kubota (L225) that is a near-twin to my Yanmar in size, hp, and age. That's a 4x8 trailer in my photo for a size comparison.

It's in excellent condition since the original owner was a farmer who only used it occasionally. I don't see any wear at all in the pins.

The Kubota dealer says these were supplied by a US manufacturer, so I would like to identify the real manufacturer if possible. Does anyone recognise my photos?

I'll continue posting in this thread for a bit, while I am asking dumb beginner questions :) then start a new backhoe thread over in the Yanmar forum (my TBN home).

Thank you to all of you. There is tremendous breadth and depth of expertise here and I appreciate your sharing.

You kicked-butt my man! that's an excellent 3pt backhoe you wont be disappointed!

That backhoe brings back memories....we widened streams, dug-up stumps dug miles of footings, trenches, etc.

Great job, that will cick the crap out of the HF towable backhoe.

Anytime you need me to spend more of your money, just let me know ;) :)

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #19  
I purchased a towable"Trencher" from Harbor Freight 2 yrs ago at first it did great I was digging in pretty hard ground at times The unit started to come a part I mean i replaced every cylinder,hoses,main bucket boom "it broke in half", both front support brackets,engine,tires Its not bad if you want to buy 2 the warranty is very bad I first ordered parts from Harbor Freight but was sent a hydralic pump -for a cylinder an engine for a main bucket boom so I will use mine for flowers and roses or so and rent one to dig big holes

/ Harbor Freight's little Towable Backhoe #20  
I purchased a towable"Trencher" from Harbor Freight 2 yrs ago at first it did great I was digging in pretty hard ground at times The unit started to come a part I mean i replaced every cylinder,hoses,main bucket boom "it broke in half", both front support brackets,engine,tires Its not bad if you want to buy 2 the warranty is very bad I first ordered parts from Harbor Freight but was sent a hydralic pump -for a cylinder an engine for a main bucket boom so I will use mine for flowers and roses or so and rent one to dig big holes

i have the harbor freight back hoe. when it works it works good. but the center seal on all the cylinders leak over time. ive had the rod nuts back off several times.broke the cylinder ends off twice. replaced the controle lever pack twice. put two pumps on it. riped the bucket apart twice. for the money i have had alot of fun with it. i have worked it pretty hard. if you can't work on them then leave them alone. if i had to pay to get mine fixed i could have bought a comercial duty one. the bucket just ripped off again so im going to try a dr 9 in bucket. the cylinders.....well i will probablyfind another source for then also since ive had trouble with each and every one.