HARD DECISION

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / HARD DECISION #21  
Farmwithjunk said:
WOW! The Mahindra boys are T.O.U.C.H.Y. 'bout their tractors! ;) Not to be commenting on post's by others, but you didn't hear ME say anything NEGATIVE about them. Just POSITIVES about a known excellent product from Massey Ferguson. After ALMOST an entire lifetime around this sort of tractor, I know where I'd bank MY money.
Sorry if my shotgun blast caught you in the spray of my reply to the "Mahindra = Off-Brand" boys. Ya just get sick & tired of that kind of BS comment appearing over and over again. Lets compare tractors on the merits. And if you have personal knowledge that a Mahindra 3525 won't hold up, than please contribute it. I'd like to know about it as well.

Dougster

/ HARD DECISION #22  
Dougster said:
Sorry if my shotgun blast caught you in the spray of my reply to the "Mahindra = Off-Brand" boys. Ya just get sick & tired of that kind of BS comment appearing over and over again. Lets compare tractors on the merits. And if you have personal knowledge that a Mahindra 3525 won't hold up, than please contribute it. I'd like to know about it as well.

Dougster

Did I say the Mahindra wouldn't hold up? If so, please show me where I said so.

Compare tractors? The 231 has a good bit more power, the best engine of its type on the market, a loyal following WORLDWIDE, a well earned reputation as being one of the best ever for dependability, durability, economy of operation, and a great resale value. Mahindra 3525? Less power, who knows what resale will be in a few years as they're a relative newcomer to the US market without an established re-sale market here, Spotty parts network in some areas, and no real "history" in the US market to base a long term opinion on as far as durability/reliability.

The fact is that it's a relative unknown to MOST people, and a relatively new model, vs. a well known, well established design, with thousands and thousands of 231's on the job. AGCO/MF has a well established parts network in most areas. I couldn't tell you who or where the nearest Mahindra dealer is in these parts. We HAD one, who now sells Montana tractors, or at least until he finds a new "flavor of the month". So we're talking a well established well known brand vs. a relative upstart in this country. All things being equal, I go with what has worked for me for several decades. As the 2 models compare, it ISN'T equal. The Massey is more tractor.

Your results may vary.

Last edited:
   / HARD DECISION #23  
I've got to go with Farmwithjunk on this...

If you read back to my original post, my two criteria were nearest dealer and best fit (of the operator to the tractor).

I've seen solid dealer networks for the better known brands...not so much for some of the lesser known brands. I have no desire to drive more the 20-25 miles for supplies (filters, etc.) or have the tractor transported more then that distance, especially if I'm paying for it.

As a residential owner/operator, if my tractor goes down, it would be a pain but not the disaster it would be with a professional.

So, buy a machine that has a good reputation as well as a reputable company and dealer behind it to reduce your maintenance concerns. Obviously, by a machine with adequate power to do the job.

It's all a matter of comfort levels.

/ HARD DECISION #24  
Farmwithjunk said:
So we're talking a well established well known brand vs. an upstart in this country. All things being equal, I go with what has worked for me for several decades. Your results may vary.
I just plain give up here. :eek: You win. Our circumstances and points of view are so different that we will never agree. You like your 50's and 70's classic machines... and they obviously work for you. I need to own something that was built in the 21st century. Your experience with M-F has been great... my brief experience with M-F was a joke. Used stuff I looked at was pure rust bucket junk. New stuff was way overpriced compared to the competition. Your M-F dealer is obviously still in business and thriving. Mine is near bankruptcy and can't even put a 2310 on his lot anymore. No way he can compete with the other brands. JD dealer next to him took a hike as well. After him, I think the nearest M-F dealer would be up in New Hampshire somewhere. You don't know where to find a Mahindra dealer... and I've got so many of them around here now that I can't count them all. I've never had a delay or problem obtaining Mahindra parts... but you apparently know others who have.

I give up. That's it for me. Different strokes for different folks. I've got work to do. :(

Dougster

/ HARD DECISION #25  
Just to clarify a thing or two. I didn't nor do I INTEND to suggest that Massey Ferguson is better across the board with every model they make. Nor do I suggest Mahindra ISN'T capable of building a fine tractor. My recommendation is based upon the fact that the 231 Massey Ferguson is an excellent tractor. IMHO, it's one of the best, if not THE best ever in it's size and configuration. The 231 would not only be my choice against the Mahindra 3525, but it would probably be my pick against most any other model or brand of comparable tractor, so long as it could be bought "right".

And to further stack the deck, we're talking about a "bigger" tractor than the 3525 Mahindra.

So my picking the MF is a fair, honest, objective apraisal of the pair, and NOT a one-sided "slam" against Mahindra's in general or against a certain model.

And I'm basing the opinion on the statement that the individual 231's are in the low houred, great condition as described.

/ HARD DECISION #26  
Mornin Bill and Doug,
Hey guys, nobody has to be the winner or looser here !!! Both of you guys have equipment that works for YOU !!! Thats all thats important ! You both have dealers closeby that work for YOU !!! Nobody can argue that either tractor is inferior ! Because neither tractor is. I own Massey Ferguson and two old restored Farmalls, so Im somewhat partial to those brands, but on occassion I did look at Mahindra and yes they are a very well built tractor IMHO. They are light years ahead of some off brands in quality, I could see that as soon as I started to visually inspect the tractors, before I even heard the tractor run ! And they most certainly did manufacture tractors for IH years ago, so that says a lot right there ! In summation, both reputable machines, although one gets the vote for service and parts availabilty on a national front !

Thanks for letting me have my say ! ;)

/ HARD DECISION #27  
Dougster said:
I just plain give up here. :eek: You win. Our circumstances and points of view are so different that we will never agree. You like your 50's and 70's classic machines... and they obviously work for you. I need to own something that was built in the 21st century. Your experience with M-F has been great... my brief experience with M-F was a joke. Used stuff I looked at was pure rust bucket junk. New stuff was way overpriced compared to the competition. Your M-F dealer is obviously still in business and thriving. Mine is near bankruptcy and can't even put a 2310 on his lot anymore. No way he can compete with the other brands. JD dealer next to him took a hike as well. After him, I think the nearest M-F dealer would be up in New Hampshire somewhere. You don't know where to find a Mahindra dealer... and I've got so many of them around here now that I can't count them all. I've never had a delay or problem obtaining Mahindra parts... but you apparently know others who have.

I give up. That's it for me. Different strokes for different folks. I've got work to do. :(

Dougster

The 231 isn't a "1950's" model tractor. Obviously, by the descriptions, it isn't a "rust bucket". You seem to be painting ALL masseys with a broad stroke as old TO20's and you're failing to realize Massey Ferguson is a thriving business which is the largest producer of farm tractors in the world. They aren't an antiquated fossil from a bygone era.

Your experience with Massey pricing flies in the face of anything I've ever heard. Massey utilities are among the lowest priced on the market. Your experience with an individual dealer might be just that. YOUR deal.

There are CHEAPER alternatives to Massey Ferguson. And if the cheaper alternatives meet your needs, then that might be alright for you. Myself, I'd rather have MORE TRACTOR for same or less money. That's where the MF utilities shine. More tractor for the dollar. That's especially true of certain models with a storied history of quality, dependability, durability, efficiency, and value.

In the end, a tractor is a tractor is a tractor. No amount of glitz and glamour, no sloped and styled plastic and chrome, no "21st century look" will make a tractor do any MORE or any LESS when push comes to shove. I've got a $66,000, 2007 Deere 6430 that won't pull a 15' batwing any different than a 1965 95hp tractor. We aren't sending a man to Mars here. We're talking about a TRACTOR.

The fact that you're TRYING to defend Mahindra (as a brand) over a model from another brand that is OBVIOUSLY bigger/more powerful shows me that you're taking the entire thing far too personal. Not EVERY Mahindra is superior to EVERY model and brand simply because you bought one.

/ HARD DECISION #28  
Farmwithjunk said:
WOW! The Mahindra boys are T.O.U.C.H.Y. 'bout their tractors! ;)

Not to be commenting on post's by others, but you didn't hear ME say anything NEGATIVE about them. Just POSITIVES about a known excellent product from Massey Ferguson. After ALMOST an entire lifetime around this sort of tractor, I know where I'd bank MY money.

Warranty being what it is, I STILL think the MF is a better buy, ESPECIALLY if you can get one @ $8000 or under w/ low hours. These tractors are rock solid. If there was any issues they would have surfaced by now. Sure, there's still a chance of a little part breaking, but a SLIGHT chance, unless there's abuse in the future. These are just that sound of a small tractor. In the end, you'll have a tractor that is well known to hold its value for several generations, not just a few years. You'll have what is considered THE BEST small diesel in its class. Mahindra's might be a good tractor, but that particular model of Massey is a GREAT tractor with a GREAT reputation, known far beyond the normal circles of tractor experts/enthusiast's. That great rep translates into re-sale value.

Point being, take 'em both, use 'em hard for 10 more years and see which one will best return your investment.

I'm still using a 36 year old rendition of that Massey Ferguson almost every day in my mowing business. I'd stack it up against most any NEW tractor for reliability, dependability, fuel efficiency, and ease of operation. You're look at one of the all-time greats as far as small utility tractors go.

No doubt the MF is a great tractor (maybe the best in this class/size). I wasn't trying to take anything away from it. I was just pointing out that Mahindra isn't quite the "off-brand" that some (not you, FWJ) are/were making it out to be.

Had I come across a deal on a MF like the one Travis is looking at before I bought my Mahindra, I may not even own a Mahindra. Who knows???

But, there is value in having a new machine with a 3-year warranty vs. a used machine (with an unknown history) and no warranty. If I knew the prior owner and knew that the tractor hadn't been abused, the MF would be a no brainer at the stated price. That not being the case, a new Mahindra with a 3-year warranty looks more attractive (to me).

And, I'm not THAT touchy about my chosen brand. I'm not even THAT brand loyal. But, after repeated posts calling Mahindra an "off-brand" (not from you, FWJ, but from other posters), I thought it was worth pointing out that, in today's world - not 30 years ago, Mahindra is a big, reputable player in the tractor world.

And, FWJ, you're right about this not really being an apple-to-apple comparison. There's a big difference in size/HP between the MF and Mahindra tractors being discussed here.

Later,

BR

/ HARD DECISION #29  
BamaRob said:
No doubt the MF is a great tractor (maybe the best in this class/size). I wasn't trying to take anything away from it. I was just pointing out that Mahindra isn't quite the "off-brand" that some are/were making it out to be.

Had I come across a deal on a MF like the one Travis is looking at before I bought my Mahindra, I may not even own a Mahindra. Who knows???

But, there is value in having a new machine with a 3-year warranty vs. a used machine (with an unknown history) and no warranty. If I knew the prior owner and knew that the tractor hadn't been abused, the MF would be a no brainer at the stated price. That not being the case, a new Mahindra with a 3-year warranty looks more attractive (to me).

And, I'm not THAT touchy about my chosen brand. I'm not even THAT brand loyal. But, after repeated posts calling Mahindra an "off-brand," I thought it was worth pointing out that, in today's world - not 30 years ago, Mahindra is a big, reputable player in the tractor world.

Later,

BR

No arguement from me on Mahindra being a player in the world market. No "off brand" comments either. (From ME anyway) One of my points was, the fact that they're relatively new to the US market. That in and of itself doesn't disqualify them from consideration. Another point I was hoping to make is that the Massey 231 is one of their best efforts. It is a SPLENDID little utility tractor. The particular unit(s) described are VERY low hour, with a known history. One is at a very good price, while the 1st one mentioned isn't out of theballpark on price. Compared to the PARTICULAR model of Mahindra mentioned (3525) I'd take the Massey in a heartbeat.

Where the issue went off axis was when the subject swapped around to imply all Masseys being ancient rusted out hulks from the stone age and all Mahindras being superior 21st century technology capable of doing so much more than those old relics from a by-gone era, regardless of size, hp, or model. (Not your comments Bama')

A large part of the debate centers around the need to bush hog (possibly with a 6' mower) The Mahindra mentioned would be marginal, if at all capable of handling that job. The Massey isn't exactly over-kill for that task, but in all likelyhood, more capable than the Mahindra 3525.

There is no "magic formula" that determines one tractor to be better than another in ALL cases. It's about the best fit for the task at hand, and for each individuals circumstances. That said, with-in the parameters set by the original poster, I'd STILL go with the 231 Massey.

In NO WAY am I trying to discredit Mahindra. Certain models just don't fit the needs of SOME people as well as some other choices, myself being one, and IMHO, the person asking the question that started this thread.

/ HARD DECISION #30  
Farmwithjunk said:
Where the issue went off axis was when the subject swapped around to imply all Masseys being ancient rusted out hulks from the stone age and all Mahindras being superior 21st century technology capable of doing so much more than those old relics from a by-gone era, regardless of size, hp, or model. (Not your comments Bama') .
I stand by my comments exactly as I wrote them. Not by this blatant distortion and misrepresentation of my words. :mad:
Farmwithjunk said:
A large part of the debate" (my emphasis added) centers around the need to bush hog (possibly with a 6' mower)
Guess I didn't see that overriding debate rule stated up front. I must need new glasses. Stupid me, I thought he owned a 5' bush-hog. :rolleyes: What other rules of the "debate" didn't I see??? :confused:

I will agree with FWJ on one thing: If folks want to compare brands or tractors, at least do it on an "apples to apples" basis however one chooses to define it based on personal situation: Same prices... or same power... or same condition (new vs. used)... and same purchase terms (warranty vs. none, cash vs. incentive financing, tractor alone or requirement to buy an unneeded, duplicate implement). :eek:

Dougster

Status
Not open for further replies.