Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing?

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing?
Well tried the electric lift pump idea with no change in how it starts with cold engine.. so now really puzzled on what changed.

Received around 8” wet heavy snow Friday and ran fine while moving snow for over an hour. Did notice during this time that throttle would drift back to around 1700 RPM if set at any speed above 1700. Did not notice this when blowing snow earlier this winter. Will rev up to 2,600 at stay there as long as you hold the throttle. Suspect friction nut worked loose.

I did clean the injector pump before swapping feed pumps and saw no evidence of any fuel leaks.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #22  
My next step would be to remove the stop solenoid and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it will but I would try just to eliminate it. I see three wires going to it in your picture. So it has the pull and hold circuit. Maybe it is not pulling all the way back at first?

I suspect the friction nut needs adjusting as well.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #23  
My next step would be to remove the stop solenoid and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it will but I would try just to eliminate it. I see three wires going to it in your picture. So it has the pull and hold circuit. Maybe it is not pulling all the way back at first?

I suspect the friction nut needs adjusting as well.
Possibly. Check the throw of the lever as compared to the throw of the solenoid and go from there. If your ignition is damaged, it may be causing the problem where the pull in portion is not being de-energized. I would determine how the solenoid works while disconnected from the wiring harness using a fused jumper then you can eliminate it as the problem.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #24  
Is the stop solenoid always either all on or all off, or can it be partially closed/open?

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #25  
Is the stop solenoid always either all on or all off, or can it be partially closed/open?
I "believe" it is all open or all closed and our design should pull when energized. Or will push or pull in the opposite design of any spring tension. You could rotate the IP lever towards the seat and try starting and try the reverse if that doesn't work. Then once you see the movement parameters of the lever you will set the solenoid travel for on/off accordingly. Maybe someone here with the same model can make an observation regarding their own identical machine and give you more accurate and solid information.

I removed the stop solenoid assembly from the injector pump and it is pull to start spring out to stop. Since the hole in the IP is approx 1 1/8” diameter I made a cover to replace the solenoid. Made no difference in how it starts so another item eliminated.

I did tighten friction assembly on throttle linkage so it now stays where you set it.

Think I am going to wait till spring - summer when grass is growing so can run under load for a period of time and run a tank of fuel with injector cleaner through it then. This is on off chance the warm winter and limited use possible created a little algae or something.

Shouldn’t hurt anything and may get lucky and it helps

Thanks again for all helpful ideas.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #27  
1711677462308.png
Screenshot_20240328-215457~2.png
Is the rod on the upper left fuel cut off or throttle? What is the lever circled in yellow? Where is your throttle connected?

Lever circled is manual fuel shut off. When I removed the stop solenoid I used a mirror to look through the mounting hole to observe the fuel shut off mechanism movement while operating that manual lever. Everything looked clean and moved freely from what I could see.

Upper left with linkage attached is throttle.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #30  
Lever circled is manual fuel shut off. When I removed the stop solenoid I used a mirror to look through the mounting hole to observe the fuel shut off mechanism movement while operating that manual lever. Everything looked clean and moved freely from what I could see.

Upper left with linkage attached is throttle.
The circled lever is where the solenoid connects?
Have you checked to see if the banjo bolt/bleeder has a fine mesh screen or a screen below the bolt? And the vertical fitting to the right if it originates from the same line?
Screenshot_20240329-090212~2.png

I would highly recommend bypassing/replacing your filter with a clear automotive filter