Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #1  

Pepsiboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I have purchased a new Husky YTH24V48 about 2months ago that I really like. Started in about 2 seconds of cranking all the time. HOWEVER, last week it has started to be hard to start after setting over night. Once it starts, it will restart easily all day. When it sets overnight, it will crank for 15 seconds at a time (the longest I will crank without stopping) 3 or 4 times before it will start. Once it starts, all is well for the day. This is a Briggs V-Twin 24 hp Easy start engine. I am wondering if it is a choke problem or a carb adjustment problem?

I talked to place where I purchased it, and they say "We don't service them. Take it to a dealer for warrantee work." The nearest dealer is 65 miles from me. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Dave

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #2  
I'd pull the air cleaner when the engine is cold, and give it one quick shot of carb cleaner down the carb. Then crank it and see if it fire instantly like it did when new. If it pops fast, then you know you have good spark and you can proceed with looking at choke/fuel issues. That's a quick way to eliminate any electrical issues.

Since it was starting well when new, and now it doesn't and you have to crank it a lot, I'd suspect the choke, choke-linkage is hung up with debris or gunk. Carefully inspect it to see it is all free moving.

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24
Already checked for spark. Got plenty. Also got fuel at carb. I'm unsure of how this automatic choke works. It APPEARS to be working right. I called the dealer and guess what, he said to "Bring it in and I'll check it out when I can." Yeah, an hour and a half drive each way and probably have to leave it there. I guess I'm just not in the mood to waste 3 hours time when I could be doing other things around here. Briggs wasn't any help either. THey just said talk to nearest dealer.

Maybe Monday I'll get up enough energy to take it to the dealer. There goes another wasted day.

Dave

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #4  
I have purchased a new Husky YTH24V48 about 2months ago that I really like. Started in about 2 seconds of cranking all the time. HOWEVER, last week it has started to be hard to start after setting over night. Once it starts, it will restart easily all day. When it sets overnight, it will crank for 15 seconds at a time (the longest I will crank without stopping) 3 or 4 times before it will start. Once it starts, all is well for the day. This is a Briggs V-Twin 24 hp Easy start engine. I am wondering if it is a choke problem or a carb adjustment problem?

I talked to place where I purchased it, and they say "We don't service them. Take it to a dealer for warrantee work." The nearest dealer is 65 miles from me. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Dave

I have one of these for years. And, it's exactly the same way.

It's a fuel issue. This can be proven by giving it a shot of ether, or WD-40, into the air box. It will fire right up.

If I use mine periodically, it starts pretty well. If it sits a while, it often cranks for 15 seconds before starting.

You can adjust the throttle cable to be sure the choke is closing fully. That helped. Even a small gap, will greatly increase cranking time. There is a screw that holds the cable on the engine, where you can adjust it.

I have found it starts faster if I just let it crank until it fires, no matter how long it is, rather than pausing and cranking multiple times.

I don't use it often enough to care that much, but it is annoying.

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #5  
my guess would be that it is letting the fuel drain back down overnight and has to get it pumped back up before it will start. If it has a fuel shutoff on it close it before letting it sit overnight if not add one

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #6  
your carburetor may have a plastic needle valve, they are junk, they swell up and stick closed.. get a rebuild kit which has the stainless steel needle valve!.. I had to do this on my JD tractor, many others had to also!..

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #7  
Most commonly it goes back to the choke not fully closing on an Intek twin due to a control cable adjustment as mentioned above. If your engine has an EFU / fuel management module above the valve cover- know that other things could be at play here.

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24
Well, I finally got the hard starting problem fixed myself. It was an adjustment problem with the throttle cable. Once I located the loose cable and got it adjusted so the automatic choke actually closed, it works perfectly. First start for the day takes about 10 seconds for it to fire up. After that it starts in about 3 seconds every time all day long.

I don't know if the throttle cable was loose from the start or if it vibrated loose. It is fixed and the clamp on the cable is tightened VERY securely.

Dave

/ Hard Starting Brigs V-Twin 24 #10  
YEP...I had the exact same problem. Later on, this turned into multiple problems.

1. I believe fuel wasn't reaching the carb. Clear hole in gas cap to help vapor lock

2. The battery wasn't charged enough to start the motor or spin it fast enough

3. The must be a compression release built-in these motors to help them start.

Just replaced the engine and battery & beforehand drained the gas tank back into the 5gal container and tied the fuel line up & out of the way. Came time to hook the fuel line back up and for a test, I checked and of course no fuel would come out of the line. Applied air pressure to the gas tank and after the count of 3, gas became available. Strange, because fuel should have been pouring out the second the line went below fuel level in the tank. Anyway, hooked up the gas line knowing fuel was available. Turned the brand new engine over and by the count of 2....she fired right up. The beast is alive !

Next day after the engine set overnight, It wouldn't start right away not even after 15 sec of starter time. The clear gas filter looked full I assumed but wanted to give er another shot. I pumped the throttle which is now a throttle/choke combo making sure the choke on the carb was fully closed. She started right up.

Going out in a minute after it has set again overnight to see if she will fire. If it doesn't, I'm seriously thinking of putting a primer bulb in the fuel line. Kind of like the ones on your boat motor tank. OH...to test also, I will leave the fuel cap off just to see if I have a prob with vapor lock.

ETA...slammed the throttle up to full for choke and with the gas cap removed, she fired right up.