Hard starting T2310

/ Hard starting T2310 #1  

Hematite

Gold Member
I haven't used the T2310 much at all this year and it has been sitting for months. When I went to start it, I waited for the glow plug light to go out and it cranked normally and started very roughly, sputtering and smoking for a while. A normal start on this tractor is a very quick, clean start. I called the dealer and he said to check the fuel supply. The tank has been full and the filter housing appears to be without water. I checked the voltage at the battery:12.5 volts and at the glow plugs: 10.4 volts.

My question is, is it possible that the fuel itself has gone bad sitting for a year? If not, does the voltage at the glow plugs sound correct? Once started and warmed up, the tractor operates nomally and seems to run very well. Thanks to all who reply!

/ Hard starting T2310 #2  
I haven't used the T2310 much at all this year and it has been sitting for months. When I went to start it, I waited for the glow plug light to go out and it cranked normally and started very roughly, sputtering and smoking for a while. A normal start on this tractor is a very quick, clean start. I called the dealer and he said to check the fuel supply. The tank has been full and the filter housing appears to be without water. I checked the voltage at the battery:12.5 volts and at the glow plugs: 10.4 volts.

My question is, is it possible that the fuel itself has gone bad sitting for a year? If not, does the voltage at the glow plugs sound correct? Once started and warmed up, the tractor operates nomally and seems to run very well. Thanks to all who reply!

You didn't say what the temperature was when you tried to start it. It's pretty normal for a diesel to start roughly at temperture below ~40F, depending on the engine and mechanical condition of the engine.Generally the colder it gets the rougher it starts. Installing a block heater and using it can usually eliminate cold starting roughness. If you haven't run it for awhile chances are there was some empty injector fuel lines due to long term drain down and the engine started on one or two cylinders and then the other cylinders came on line. I doubt that the fuel went bad. Unlike modern gas, diesel is pretty stable in storage but water contamination and algae/bacterial generated sludge can be a problem particularly in warm humid climates.

Just a rememnder that you most likely have a summer blend of diesel and with winter coming on you might want to use a good additive to prevent gelling and disperse any water in your fuel system or, if the tank is low on fuel, fill it with a winter blend fuel. (I'm assuming you are operating in a cold winter climate). It's also a good time to change the fuel filter. Dirty filters tend to clog easier during cold weather operation. Try to keep your fuel tank full allways to minimize condensation in the tank.

Start your tractor again tomorrow, noting the ambient temperature and see if you have the same results.

/ Hard starting T2310
Jerry, thanks for the reply! I have started it a few times since I started using it again with the same sputtering result. Yes, it is cold around here at the present time. I only started it in the cold once before, when I first got the tractor, and it started very crisply and cleanly despite the cold.The fuel that has been sitting in the tractor should have been almost all Winter blend.

I have a feeling that it is fuel related. I'm trying to run the fuel down and refill with fresh diesel. I think I'll replace the fuel filter, as well.

/ Hard starting T2310 #4  
I think you are on the right track for solving your rough start issues. A tractor that has sat idle for most of a year could easily have fuel injectors that are contaminated because of humidity in the cylinders and normal outside temperature cycles. It seems your electrical system is working perfectly. I would add some diesel fuel treatment/injector cleaner to the fuel along with some fresh fuel. I'd also change the fuel filter as you said you planned to do. You want to run the tractor up to full temperature and work it hard for awhile to make sure it can self-clean and things can normalize. Don't forget to also remove at least your outer air filter and blow it out or replace it. Dust that was collected there may now be caked on due to moisture collection. Fuel is only half of the good combustion equation. Clean air is the other part that could be restricted on an little used tractor. I'd change the filters, add fuel and treatment and run 'er hard for a couple of hours to see if things didn't improve.

/ Hard starting T2310
Thanks for your reply jinman. I will check the air filter as well. Is there a particular fuel treatment that would be effective in this situation? I'm going to try to burn up at least half of the tank before I add fresh fuel.

/ Hard starting T2310 #6  
Gunk Diesel Fuel Dryer

Pri-D treatment

Stabil Diesel Treatment

CRC Injector Cleaner

I would think any of the above products would be helpful, but I'd be tempted to siphon out that fuel from the tank, put in fresh fuel, and then add a couple of gallons of the old fuel at a time until it is used up. I don't think any of the additives will be anymore effective than removing the fuel and adding fresh at the same time as you change the filter. I think your old fuel is okay, but just needs a strong dilution of fresh fuel. That method may be a lot cheaper than expensive additives.

/ Hard starting T2310 #7  
Thanks for your reply jinman. I will check the air filter as well. Is there a particular fuel treatment that would be effective in this situation? I'm going to try to burn up at least half of the tank before I add fresh fuel.

Power Service: white bottle for winter and the gray bottle for summer. It always works for me.

/ Hard starting T2310 #8  
Power Service: white bottle for winter and the gray bottle for summer. It always works for me.

I would say your advice carries a lot more credibility than mine. I'm spoiled being in Texas and never having to worry about cold weather's effects on fuel. I have never experienced a diesel fuel related problem. I've sure seen my share of gasoline problems, but our diesel fuel quality here seems bulletproof.

/ Hard starting T2310 #9  
Thanks jinman. There are still more diesel fuel treatment bottles like Howes, Diesel 911, One Shot and others. Nothing worked like Power Service to clean the fuel system and incectors. I also use it in my diesel Benz with the diesel particle filter no problem. Keeps the regeneration down and thus better fuel milage.

Your fuel in the States is better than ours. Here you are not shure what you get even if everything comes out of the same refinary. Pretty sad. I always get better fuel milage with the the american fuel compared to our canadian brew.

/ Hard starting T2310
Thanks for the suggestions! I do have both of the Power Service products so I'll give it the shock treatment they recommend (2X the regular amount). I probably should have siphoned the fuel out and followed jinman's suggestions but I just added 5 gals of fresh fuel with the extra Power Service before reading this. I'm hoping that may do the trick.

Thanks for the great ideas and information, that is what makes this forum so great!:thumbsup: