Hard Surface Welding

/ Hard Surface Welding #1  

Searchman

I am building a water well drilling rig and need to locate a supplier for carbide hard surfacing material. I would like a brazing rod that has carbide chips embedded if possible. Has anyone had experience with a similar product? Thanks

/ Hard Surface Welding #2  
All the hard facing I have generally seen is either stick such as a Hardalloy or mig - regular or fluxcore with fluxcore being better for outdoors than non-fluxcore mig (requiring shielding gas) and has higher deposition rates than stick. Stick may have a better selection. Tube-Alloy 218 TiC-O (Hobart) is a fluxcore hardsurfacing alloy containing titanium carbide, work hardens, has high impact and abrasion resistance. I think a brazing rod is way to soft to hold up for more than a few hours in the application your wanting.

Look for something that is for facing loader bucket teeth or bulldozer blades. Discussing your needs with your local welding supplier (not big box stores) will probably get you something suitable.

/ Hard Surface Welding #3  
How about Borium, or drilltek, like used on horse shoes, for traction on asphalt. Common at farrier supply houses. Although not sure a torch would get the cutter hot enough to stick well. Unless you have some Amish, or farrier in the area that hot shoes with a forge.

Just a thought...

/ Hard Surface Welding #4  
You might look on the Miller welding website-seems like they have a chart for about every rod for every application if you care to sort through it all.

/ Hard Surface Welding #5  
Check the JW Harris website. I used to be the factory Rep. They have a brazing rod that has Silver, Carbide and Bronze. It is used for Horseshoes, Digger Teeth, Augers and maybe what you want it for. It is a simple Oxy-Acet application and it works very well. I have some but dont remember the part number right now. I sold a ton of this stuff to a company in California that strips tennis courts prior to re surfacing. They also remove paint and plastic. check it out. Or call JW Harris Tech Service. Number is on the web.

Good Luck.

/ Hard Surface Welding #6  
Deeprock had a bronze carbide matrix, you heat the tip to cherry red then dip the drill bit in.

/ Hard Surface Welding #7  
How about spray welding? I used this along time ago to build up a shaft. I didn't pay attention the powder I chose, it was very hard. We had a hard time machining it back to size. You can get the powders in various rockwell ratings.

/ Hard Surface Welding #8  
I use Stellite with a gas torch, seems to work well enough but maybe something newer gives better results today. Anybody else use this?

Steve

/ Hard Surface Welding #9  
I think it would be better to build your bit with replaceable carbide tips. Instead of being down for hours for welding or brazing, tips can be replaced in minutes. (Once out of the ground, of course.) Carbide is available in numerous shapes. Pointed rods work well. Insert them in holes with a locking screw. You can grind carbide with a green wheel (silicon-carbide).

/ Hard Surface Welding #10  
I built a few well tips using car springs cut into pieces for the blades. I purchased hard facing and hard overlay rods. I bought some from TSC (Hobart Rods) and from Valley National Gas. You can go to the Lincoln web site and purchase what you need. As was stated in an ealier post, try Miller web site?