Hard to find distributor parts...

/ Hard to find distributor parts... #1  

Hardware411

Tractor
71 Massey Ferguson MF 135
Just would like to say Hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any knowledge I may glean from your experiences. I have one tractor that has always been my goto that I inherited from my grandfather and lately its been burning points and hard starting so after investigation I find one missing and one broken and twisted advance weight SPRING. The distributor appears in good working order otherwise. My problem is delco shows these parts obsolete. New old stock wants $650 for entire distributor, I found one on ebay for $350 and find some supposed rebuilts for $200. I cant justify that for a set of springs. Have checked local and some large tractor yards to no avail. Is there any other distributor that may carry these springs and or how can I find the specs or a source to duplicate them. Perhaps since a standard 6 cyl distribur cap can be used would the springs from say a 250 straight 6 of the same time work or get me closer. By the way it is a 71 mf-135 with the 3 cyl 152 perkins gas. Delco remy part number is 111-2457 ... thank you

/ Hard to find distributor parts... #2  
Just would like to say Hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any knowledge I may glean from your experiences. I have one tractor that has always been my goto that I inherited from my grandfather and lately its been burning points and hard starting so after investigation I find one missing and one broken and twisted advance weight SPRING. The distributor appears in good working order otherwise. My problem is delco shows these parts obsolete. New old stock wants $650 for entire distributor, I found one on ebay for $350 and find some supposed rebuilts for $200. I cant justify that for a set of springs. Have checked local and some large tractor yards to no avail. Is there any other distributor that may carry these springs and or how can I find the specs or a source to duplicate them. Perhaps since a standard 6 cyl distribur cap can be used would the springs from say a 250 straight 6 of the same time work or get me closer. By the way it is a 71 mf-135 with the 3 cyl 152 perkins gas. Delco remy part number is 111-2457 ... thank you

Check out The kids thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...intage/245329-refurbishing-my-z145-135-a.html I seem to remember him replacing the springs on his distributor. He may mention where he got the springs in the thread. He has a lot of good info. PM him if he doesn't respond. Welcome to tracorbynet

SIMassey

/ Hard to find distributor parts...
Thank you SIMassey for your reply and information and apparently I am the only one that either has an opinion or has run into this issue or maybe I am just a discussion killer. :) I am probably wrong but I think that was a continental engine. I will see if the distributor specs are the same. The curve is just not the same. The problem is that even if I buy a rebuilt these parts are not what is rebuilt or replaced so I am paying 200$ for just a top end rebuild that may cost $40 and still have 40 year old springs. The hunt continues. thanks again
Check out The kids thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...intage/245329-refurbishing-my-z145-135-a.html I seem to remember him replacing the springs on his distributor. He may mention where he got the springs in the thread. He has a lot of good info. PM him if he doesn't respond. Welcome to tracorbynet

SIMassey