Hardfacing rods

/ Hardfacing rods #11  
Call, 800 426-1888. choose option 2 and wait til you hear the option for Stoody Tech. They will Gladly answere all of your questions and solve all of your troubles..

/ Hardfacing rods #12  
I did a large Front end load blade once. THey wanted the full bevelled surface hardsurfaced. I preheated it to 200F and started to coat just the cutting edge, after about 4 feet of weld, the shrinkage busted the blade in the middle. Those welds are so hard and brittle that they will break off rather than bend. Just need to X X pattern them rather than try to make a solid weld like I was doing. I hear that there is a hardsurfacing process where they use a powder with an oxyacetylene flame to coat materials that works without overheating, but I have never seen it done.

/ Hardfacing rods #13  
With 7018 your wont get any hardening, just base metal build up to replace the worn away metal. 7018 is very ductile rod and hardnesses are similar to mild steel plate. True hardfacing rods will be expensive.

Yea, I shouldn't have used the term "hardfacing", but rather something like "wear buffer" or "build up" (as you stated).

7018 is much cheaper than hardfacing rods and needs replenishing occasionally but for non-commercial uses it works to keep the original piece somewhat protected.

/ Hardfacing rods #14  
A cheaper way though not that cheap in reality is using stainless 309l rods to build up. They have good wear ability, and it won't rust.:laughing:

/ Hardfacing rods #15  
low alloy rods might be a workable compromise. ( 9018, arctec 223 etc)

bear in mind, you would want to run them a bit cold and stack them up in high stringers rather than weave them wide or overlap multiple passes, except where you overlap a previous bead on an x pattern.

/ Hardfacing rods #16  
Have been using Hardfacing rods from Lincoln, called wearshield abr . Have been using them to build up mow boards and points on our kongskilde plow. It is fairly easy to apply and does a very good job on extending plowpoint life. ( also use this rod to build up points for a 7 shank deep ripper a friend pulls with a quadra trac )

Our clay soils are hard on metal if conditions are dry. Plow points / mowboards are so hot you can fry an egg on them. Th HFacing really seems to help.

As with most hard facing rods they produce a lot of smoke . welding should be done with an exhaust fan or out side in a semi open area.

Here is a link for the lincoln HF rods----

Wearshield Hardfacing Stick Electrode

/ Hardfacing rods #17  
Resurrecting an old thread, but.... I know you can hard face with a stick welder. Is it possible to do it with a MIG welder? I don't stick weld and was wondering if anyone makes a hard face wire for a MIG?

/ Hardfacing rods #18  
I've never actually ran wire hard facing, got all set up to do a clam bucket one time, and got transferred to another job before ever pulling the trigger.
Lincoln has some.
Lincoreョ 60-G

/ Hardfacing rods #19  
Thanks Carl! I'm sure it will be a while before I wear out my bucket to where it needs it, but it's nice to know that I've got that option.