Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach.

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach.
As a long time Harley rider, and a former Motorcycle Safety instructor.

First I applaud those who noticed it is a QUAD and not a trike.

EVEN WORSE with the 2 front tires in a single triple fork setup it will be almost IMPOSSIBLE to steer!

This thingt is NOT a motorcycle, and I'd bet huge $$$ it it only trailered to and from shows.

TOTALLY unridable...

I'd rather ride a hill of beans...

Sorry Brin, I love ya and I don't mean to rain on your thread sir, but I preferr the rideable ones.

David

That's OK David...no harm ` no foul - I was just admiring the modification and creativeness , it is nice to look at.

I road a Harley for three years professionally...first two years I rode one with a suicide clutch and tank shifter..then I moved up...I was a motorcycle cop during that period in law enforcement....I would imagine this would steer much more like a 4 wheeled vehicle ..like a car or truck but I think it would be drive-able...so we differ there.:)

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #22  
I would imagine this would steer much more like a 4 wheeled vehicle ..like a car or truck but I think it would be drive-able...so we differ there.:)

Brin,

Still not here to argue... BUT... Look at it again. The front wheels MUST be on a single axle with no provision for the wheels to turn seperately, just like the old JD tri-cycle style tractor in your sig. Those old tractors were slow and hard to steer, imagine them on the freeway...

A car or a truck or a ATV Quad the front axle provides for the wheels to turn independantly.

But it is amazingly creative and required amazing engineering and effort to fab. I bet it draws crowds.

But I'm not here to argue :D

David

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #23  
I'd say it could be drivable to an extent, certainly not easily maneuverable but perhaps somewhat drivable, If we note: the rake of the fork ,it is similar to the first generation ATV 3 wheelers that used to have rigid frame and suspensions, and even though the HD has 2 wheels they would be in equivalent to 1 Large 15" wide front tire of a ATV 3 wheeler, any of us who owned one of these could drive it but took some getting use to, when cornering we had to shift our weight to the front to keep the tire from sliding, Although if quickly turning while cornering would result in one of the rear tires come off the ground, and is one of the reason the ATV 3 wheelers were ban here in Ga. the Manufactures attempt to correct the problem by building them with shock absorbed suspensions but this only resulted in the ability to travel faster on them resulting in more serious injuries /or deaths.....
One could simply steer the ATV while ridding and it would for the most part go in the direction you would steer ;)

I do agree that this is a show cycle not actually built to travel across country hauling freight :D Actually it probably is transported to events by way of freight with an actual tractor-trailer;) But it sure better to ponder over then the camper tryke-bike in the last picture below:cool:

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #24  
Indecently! My neighbor builds trikes from V/W trans-axle's and motorcycle front forks, he has turned out some nice ones along with some really weird looking ones as well, I'll have to sneak over and take some pictures some day, He has one up for sale ... he calls it the Santa-Slayer, Painted all red & black with a bed and rails on the rear for Santa's black bag, he decided he was too skinny to pass himself off as Santa;) is why he's selling it:D

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach.
The sad truth of it is...this thing could not really be driven and parked anywhere...Don't you know it would be vandalized and keyed...but if it is driven I would imagine it drives straight down the road and the only thing would be you would have to really slow way down to make any turn...leaning on that would be ineffective...very slow to almost a stop to make any turn would be my guess...so I would agree it would not be practical...probably right, only used for shows.

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #26  
I don't know much about the steering ability but what I do wonder about is the hitching method of the trailer to the trike, er. quad, er......appears the front axle of the trailer is also steerable...? Seems like it would be quite an ordeal trying to back the trailer up if it were required.

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #27  
There is a difference between designing and engineering. I would say there was little or no engineering involved in making that rig.

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #28  
There is a difference between designing and engineering. I would say there was little or no engineering involved in making that rig.

Good point. I was thinking of the engineer type who had to make the crazy design actually work, but you are also right, there is no evidence of good engineering in this...

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #29  
I am amazed at the craftsmanship, who cares if it's for show only, it's cool! :thumbsup:

I love the anti-Harley comments, "it's only for show"? My untouched 92 Dyna with 58k miles says otherwise (my old crotch rockets never went over 30k miles without major repairs) and my new XR1200 will walk away from any sports bike in the twisties! I know as I ride with many CBR's, YZF's and GSX-R's all 800-1000cc's and they HATE losing to a Harley. :cool:

/ Harley Trike and Tailer...Amazing..photo attach. #30  
my new XR1200 will walk away from any sports bike in the twisties! I know as I ride with many CBR's, YZF's and GSX-R's all 800-1000cc's and they HATE losing to a Harley. :cool:
I wish you lived closer.
I would love to take you up on that challenge.
My 650 Kawasaki Versys goes through the twisties like its on rails

Last edited: