has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height?

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #11  
this prob would only apply to gc series scut due to design but looking at stuff today I realized if I move my lift link rearward 1.5 inches or so (and weld the old pin hole for strength) I gain almost 3.5" ( angles/physics/pure friggin magic) lift at the end of the arm.
I'm sitting here trying to visualize this (while I'm falling asleep.) My mind says you will lose lift and gain weight capacity if you move it rearward. And you will gain lift and lose capacity if you move it forward.

Imagine moving it a much longer distance, and see what happens.

Bruce

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #12  
I'm sitting here trying to visualize this (while I'm falling asleep.) My mind says you will lose lift and gain weight capacity if you move it rearward. And you will gain lift and lose capacity if you move it forward.

Bruce
Without laying out the geometry, it seems that your are correct.

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #13  
Many tractors provide multiple attach holes on the lift arms for the lift links. I have never heard of a broken lift arm. And I cannot imagine welding a hole shut to strengthen one !
The hole in the middle of the lift arm of reasonable diameter does not reduce it's strength significantly. It's the same principle as drilling holes in the middle (neutral axis) of a floor joist does not reduce it's strength significantly.

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height?

Bruce
I'll double check before drilling but due to layout (positions) when lift links disconnected and moved rearward I gained lift. moving lift link rearwards (approx 1.75 inches) with the lift arm blocked made the link hole sit ABOVE center of arm almost 2 inches.
moving fwd (towards tractor itself) same amount lost me arm lift height. it all depends on angles on lift link in relationship to actual 3pt lift.

Last edited:
   / has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #15  
those would be difficult for me to re-temper.
Not heat treated in the first place. Leave the original holes and drill new ones where you want to. That way you have 2 lift points and 2 total capacity points.

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height?
Not heat treated in the first place. Leave the original holes and drill new ones where you want to. That way you have 2 lift points and 2 total capacity points.
ok makes sense I just need to wait for weather to cooperate. right now 33 outside with wind chill of 23 so not messing with right now LOL
had hoped to measure and place 5/16 pilot hole today at least but not looking good LOL

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #17  
Take them off (not hard, 2 pins and a couple of clevis') and do it inside which I'd prefer anyway, on a flat surface where you can centerpunch the location of the holes more accurately anyway...and use some oil on the drill too. I'd start with a mall 1/8" drill and work up.

Besides, on a flat table you can more accurately mark the location of the holes in both arms. Not gonna happen on the tractor.

Take them off (not hard, 2 pins and a couple of clevis') and do it inside which I'd prefer anyway, on a flat surface where you can centerpunch the location of the holes more accurately anyway...and use some oil on the drill too. I'd start with a mall 1/8" drill and work up.

Besides, on a flat table you can more accurately mark the location of the holes in both arms. Not gonna happen on the tractor.
my shed is so full of crap I don't have space to hold them solidly or flatly, and my vise just broke last week. if I can get accurate center punch while on tractor I can use the attached quickhitch with tight links to hold arms in one position at least, although I may need to remove each rear tire as I drill. I really need to get a dumpster and toss some crap in shed AND replace vise LOL
gonna suck no matter how I do it LOL
no biggie, I can easily get real close and the adjustable lift link will offset any small discrepancies.
from looks of weather and temps will be few days at least anyway.

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #19  
my shed is so full of crap I don't have space to hold them solidly or flatly, and my vise just broke last week. if I can get accurate center punch while on tractor I can use the attached quickhitch with tight links to hold arms in one position at least, although I may need to remove each rear tire as I drill. I really need to get a dumpster and toss some crap in shed AND replace vise LOL
gonna suck no matter how I do it LOL
no biggie, I can easily get real close and the adjustable lift link will offset any small discrepancies.
from looks of weather and temps will be few days at least anyway.
If you are near Bangor, I can call my buddy and have him drop by and help you. Loves projects.

/ has any GC series owner ever tried moving lift links back an inch on lift arms to gain lift height? #20  
If you are near Bangor, I can call my buddy and have him drop by and help you. Loves projects.
Etna and Bangor is close and I actually drove through both via 95 last Friday.