Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV??

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
Have a Polaris X2 with a small receiver hitch. One thing I really dislike about Polaris ATVs is the worthless plastic rack system. It is really hard to carry anything or even to bungee loads. I am thinking of building a small tote to quickly plug into the receiver to carry tools, especially my Stihl Kombi pole saw or regular chainsaw. The pole saw just is impossible to carry easily and be able to quickly access it. Any ideas or previous clever ways to carry long tools like that?

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #2  
something as long as a pole saw would most likely run alongside from front to back. Would have to attach some kind of hook on both ends to put it in.

Not familiar with Polaris. I built a box that rides on the front that I can put a chainsaw in plus other tools. alaska and tractor logging 046.jpg

The box sits just below the windwhield and the width of it.

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #3  
I made a 2'x4' (actually about 44" wide, which is slightly less than ATV wide) rear shelf to plug into the hitch on my Polaris Sportman 550 EFI.
I built it for hauling deer out of the woods during hunting season but could use it anytime by strapping on a large plastic tote to hold tools and things.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV??
I made a 2'x4' rear shelf to plug into the hitch on my Polaris Sportman 550 EFI. I built it for hauling deer out of the woods during hunting season but could use it anytime by strapping on a large plastic tote to hold tools and things.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. If you have any pictures, that would be great. The Polaris has the plastic rack that has the 1" holes. They make a rubber expansion "plug" that allow attaching accessories, but it's (in my opinion) a poor design. So I was thinking of making a rack that inserts into the hitch like you did. I carry my pole saw regularly, and I wanted to make a bracket it attaches to quickly. I ordered some of the Kolpin gun racks so those may work. But I use my cover and these will not work under my cover, whereas a rear hitch rack would.

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #5  
I made a plywood box with a lid for my chainsaw and gas and oil and axe that hangs off the back of the rear rack on my Honda. I welded some square tube vertical on the rear of the rack and made some hooks that attach to the box and slide into the square tube. Easy to mount or remove as there are no bolts or clamps to deal with. Keeps the gas and oil mess in one place and I can still use trailer hitch.
Al

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #6  
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. If you have any pictures, that would be great. The Polaris has the plastic rack that has the 1" holes. They make a rubber expansion "plug" that allow attaching accessories, but it's (in my opinion) a poor design. So I was thinking of making a rack that inserts into the hitch like you did. I carry my pole saw regularly, and I wanted to make a bracket it attaches to quickly. I ordered some of the Kolpin gun racks so those may work. But I use my cover and these will not work under my cover, whereas a rear hitch rack would.

I do have the front mounted storage unit but its only about 4" high. Good for storing rope, straps some tools etc. Also have a rifle mount that u-bolts onto the back rack.
I made the carrier out of scrap metal I had laying around. Some 1" angle, C-channel, !" square, etc. Bolted a piece of plywood in the frame. There are holes drilled around the frame for bungee cords. I can put a large plastic tote on and attach with bungees. The gun rack is a Polaris that bolts to the rear rack with J-bolts. Front storage unit also Polaris with the expanding rubber locks that hold it on. I've had about 300 lbs on the rack with no problem.

Attachments

• DSCN1536 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1536 (Large).JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN1535 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1535 (Large).JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN1534 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1534 (Large).JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN1533 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1533 (Large).JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1532 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1532 (Large).JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1531 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1531 (Large).JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
   / Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV?? #7  
Here is the none I built for my four wheeler it folds up against the back of the wheeler when not in use.

kens phone 2014 (126).jpg

/ Has anyone built a receiver hitch tote for an ATV??
Thanks guys! I think I'll make one like yours. Appreciate the pictures!