Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #11  
Never noticed one of these saws before at Harbor Freight but for $60 it looks pretty slick in the video , I just might have to buy one

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #12  
IMG_4988 (2).JPG
IMG_4987 (2).JPG

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #13  
We have some real mechanical geniuses on this site and the descriptions are good but.......... a picture is really worth a 1000 words !!!........thanks Yooper !!....Mike

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #14  
I found angle iron works better for me & is easier to attach.
I can plow paths across my lawn without tearing up anything.
Leaves the gravel in my drive.
20201019_124550.jpg

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #15  
We put one of these on my son in laws truck plow for early season plowing before the ground was frozen. Some pro snowplow mechanic told me about it and like most things Id never heard of it. Boy did it work great. So well in fact that we just leave it on permanently riding on the wear bar.
Fast forward a couple years I am truly sick of the uselessness of my 1736 bucket for plowing. It drifts over then digs in yada yada. I have a 7' Dearbon on the rear but hate not getting full utility out of Both ends. Last week I started thinking hey if that 1 1/2' pipe worked so well on the Boss why not fab one up for my bucket and try it. All I can say is Perfect. It shears off blades of grass but no digging in. I haven't even worked out a suitable mount to hold it on yet like teeth have. Just driving it on with the sledge Hamer keeps it in place so far quite nicely.
The hardest part of making the the thing is cutting a straight cut the whole length of the pipe. I used a plasma cutter but it would be as easy to us a skill saw and steel disk. Easy peasey and as close to free as you can get .
I designed and built one of these on 1989 and I've posted it in just about every tractor forum I participate in. I have to rebuild mine after 32 years as the pipe wore though. I'm glad to see everyone using this simple device.
I slit the pipe with a cutting torch that was on a track in my welding class in Renton (Washington) Community College. I used a torch blow holes in a 3/8" plate that matched my back blade and reamed them to size with a drill. I drove the 2-1/2 inch pipe onto the plate and welded it in place. It has served me well.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #16  
I put a pipe on the 6' front blade for my Farmall A, similar to Yoopers approx. 15 years ago. Except I put the tabs on each end, then two more spaced evenly towards the center. I have tabs both front, and on the backside. I welded the back tabs on first, drilled though existing holes in the moldboard, then welded on the front tabs. Drilled that tabs hole through from the backside. I also cut mine with a plasma cutter. I used a piece of 1" angle iron as a straight edge, laying it so both edges were on the pipe, with the corner up. It aligns itself perfectly with the pipe, clamped it on using a pair of Vise-Grips on each end.

Did find some pics in my picture archives here.
Farmall A 001.jpg
DSC01391.JPG
DSC01390.JPG

Last edited:
   / Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #17  
I can understand doing this on the loader bucket edge, but why go though the trouble doing this on a rear blade. Just rotating the blade 180 degrees so the back side is pushing snow allows for close snow removal and no gravel disturbance. In fact, when my gravel needs a little dressing up in the summer, I run the blade backwards in float.

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #18  
I have edge tamers as well. The only issue I have with them is that I need to take them off to back blade with the bucket. I use them when the ground is still soft and then take them off when it freezes hard and trust my bucket level indicator when I need to push/dig and I try to keep it off the ground. Looking back at the suggestions I like the bar/angle iron idea better the the pipe idea. Something straight and flat across the entire edge.

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #19  
I adore my edge tamers. Have had them for about 5 years. I rarely take them off even in the summer. Tractor gets most of its use in the summer mowing and moving manure. So the edge tamers are good for that too. In winter moving manure and snow. Edge tamers are great for that.

They are a snap to take off too if you need the cutting edge.

There are "knock offs" on amazon now too, but I cannot speak to their quality.

/ Has anyone Ever Made A Pipe Blade Edge So Their Bucket Doesn't Dig In For Plowing #20  
I just watched that edge tamer video. So simple and brilliant! I have a new project now to fabricate a pair.