Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
My 1845 is not currently running and I tried pushing it with my other tractor, (from the front) and it kept jack knifing even if I lifter the front while pushing it. The tow valve was opened and the brake was released, no matter what we tried it would not go straight very far. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #2  
electric winch + trailer + ramps, load it up. back trailer with unit into a garage. making allowance for ramps so when you roll it off, it ends up were you want it. if not able to push / pull it off trailer, get a hand crank winch, or some chains and binders or like. and little by little crank it backwards till it wants to roll off on its own weight with someone in seat to keep it on the ramps.

why are you trying to push it? pulling should keep things aligned within reason. like a hey wagon / running gear. backing up a hey wagon can be a nightmare with jack knifing, due to tongue pivots at truck, and then front wheels turn with the tongue.

generally any 4x4 truck/car needs to be towed on a trailer / flat bed. vs having just the front wheels up on a dolly. due to possibility of of 4x4 getting engaged and causing all tires to turn and possibility at different speeds.

i would assume a power trac with hydraulic motor per each wheel. would act just like a 4x4 truck/car and needing to trailer it, due to wheels possibly hydraulically locked together like a gear 4x4 car/truck would be. and one or more wheels is acting like a pump. and the other wheel is acting like a motor, and causing it to jack knife on you.

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #3  
There's no pressure on the steering rams keeping it straight, I'd think. Try pulling it VS pushing it if you can. My guess is that will work better. Is it in a location where it can't be pulled?

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac
We were trying to get it loaded on a trailer to take to Tazwell to be overhauled. We pulled it up out of a field with the tractor and we had a lot of trouble keeping it going where we wanted it to go. We would have to pull from one side (front) left and after a while we would have to switch it to the right side to correct the direction . It was on a hillside and we had to make several turns. No steering without engine running. After several hours we gave up trying to push it onto the trailer. No winch available to pull..

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #5  
Bummer.... can you put ratchet straps around the front and rear wheel motor boxes on both sides? Behind the tires. That may keep the unit from flexing in the middle and allow it to go straight only.

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #6  
you can get hand crank winches not sure if they would give you enough "umph" to crank tractor on up trailer. maybe with longer cable and block and tackle (pulleys) might be possible
Manual Cable Hoists | Hand Chain Hoists , Construction Lifts + Industrial Cranes
| Material Handling | Northern Tool + Equipment

chain hoist perhaps more likely have a bit more "lever" action to pull unit up on trailer.
Manual Gear Chain Hoists | Hand Chain Hoists , Construction Lifts + Industrial Cranes
| Material Handling | Northern Tool + Equipment

various winches
Winches: ATV Winches, AC + DC Powered Winches, Hand Winches + More | Northern Tool + Equipment

once i get some other things dealt with. 12v winch and/or crane for truck/trailer will be on the next buy list possibly.

i have a couple manual cable hoists / winches. but not really long enough for what i want, and cable on them nearing there life span from usage. they work when needed and cheap.

the manual chain hoist i have is not that long either. it works but a bit tediously slow.

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac
The PT 1845 which I am trying to push is listed as around 3,500 lbs. on power trac's web site

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #9  
Sorry to hear about the disabled PT. Pushing on rough ground is going to be fighting physics the whole way. Any chance you can use the 3 point hitch on the other tractor to at least take some of the load off the PT? Or lift the whole thing?

Have you thought of putting a sheet of plywood under it and pulled up at the front edge to make a sled/toboggan for the rear or the whole thing? It would slide more easily.

I'm sure that you have a great reason to be pushing, rather than pulling. That said wouldn't a chain to the rear hitch be easier? I keep a couple of HF grade 70 tow chains around for just in case type emergencies.

How close can you get a 4x4? Mine is very happy with heavy loads up/down about 15 degree dirt sloes. I have never tried it for side slopes.

Setting up a sling to the tow rope would help keep it straight. Could you replace one steering cylinder with a metal beam, just for the push?

Finally, if you have enough rope and snatch blocks, you can change the point from which you are trying to move the PT so it moves straight up/down on the slope.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #10  
Its not possible to push a PT. As my wife would say, trying to push a wet noodle........ I blew my steering cylinder and because of the bypass I was unable to move. We ended up towing it.. If you do tow with the engine off you need to keep your eye on the brake system. whenever you turn the wheel it will cause reduce the tram brake pressure.

I would tow as far as you can, the winch the rest of the way. Comealongs suck in this day and age of winches, but they do work, albiet slowly, and are very cost effective.

Sorry to hear the 18 is not running for you. What happened?