Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #21  
So hopefully I can help....

Is the oil gushing? Or just puddling? Can steer or lift or dump? More than likely you can steer, lift and dump.

The hose you broke is one of your supply hoses to the front wheels. The big 3/4" ones. They settle to the bottom of the hose pile and they rub on the POOR design of the front tub. There is a very stupid edge on the front section of the tractor that causes the failure. I got a hose protector, a plastic U shaped thing, and cut it up and jammed it over the lip and that has reduced that rubbing spot. I also cut out all of the hose material that they use. It has no point, except if your tractor is new. And I have no clue how to properly replace it. I cut mine out entirely.

OK, back to the hose. The wheel motor hoses have a lot of pressure, they are the most susceptable to failure. There are a bunch of tactics with replacing these, mine was to say well, if one failed they all need to be replaced. On my machine, the hose runs from the pump to the front wheel, and then from the front wheel back to the rear opposit wheel, THe same with the other side.

You can return to Tazwell, no reason not to, but you can also do this repair yourself. There will be cursing, crying and a bit of blood but if you are on the fence about sending the machine, you can do this yourself. Trust me I have done it 3 times now.

As well, I also bought a few "long spare hoses" They are the Walk Out of the Woods hoses. I had a wheel motor hose blow, and was way in the back 40. Instead of replacing the hose in the brrush, which I could do but exposed me to a lot of dirt and mud, I just ran a hose from the engine to the wheel motor over the top of the tub and across the drivers cab, not throug the tunnel. I also got jsut a 1/2" hose with a couple of adapters.

Oh, if you do decide to do this, you may want to change how PT uses hoses (at least on my machine) They used a 90 degree coupler attached to the hose. It is impossible to pulle one of those fittings throug the body of the machine so I bought a 90 degree elbow and ran a straight hose.

Hope this all makes sense....

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #22  
If he's not pushing the tram pedal, would there be any flow to the wheel circuits?

He says as soon as he starts it, the oil starts gushing. To me, that would not be a wheel motor hose, nor the PTO. In my mind, it would be something with constant flow, the steering/FEL/Aux PTO circuit. That circuit is always flowing fluid to the steering valve, through that valve's power beyond port, then to the FEL valve bank (which is also the aux PTO), then low pressure back to the tank. Don't take that for gospel, but that's the way my 425 is plumbed. I think that's why he can't steer. If that circuit did not have a hole in the hose, it would remain pressurized to some extent, I would think.

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #23  
Good point. On my machine the tram still we pressurised, meaning oil poured out while idling. But a quick check is to start and try to lift, if it is anemic or does not, it is probably the hose from your charging coupler (driver side, by the engine) to the steering wheel. a 1/2" on mine...

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #24  
Good point. On my machine the tram still we pressurised, meaning oil poured out while idling. But a quick check is to start and try to lift, if it is anemic or does not, it is probably the hose from your charging coupler (driver side, by the engine) to the steering wheel. a 1/2" on mine...

Yah, you big boys got different plumbing than us kids....

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac
P4260005.JPGP4260004.JPGP4260006.JPGP4220004.JPGP4260004.JPGThanks for the input guys. I want to have the whole tractor gone over by power trac because my tub is a mess, wiring looks bad, hydraulic hoses need replaced, brakes or wheel motors leaking, plus several other things and I really do not want to try myself, old age is creeping up fast on me and my grandson will probably be doing a lot of my mowing he just loves the 1845, not so much the 422. Most of my mowing is hillside and I want him to be safe.. MR"s idea of the straps might work except that the hubs need to turn they are part of the brake system. I was thinking of strapping a plank onto each side of the tub and extending past the front of the front half and strapping it there also, do you think that would work?
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• P4220005.JPG
    P4220005.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 87
  • P4240004.JPG
    P4240004.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 83
  • P4240005.JPG
    P4240005.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 93
  • P4240006.JPG
    P4240006.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 81
  • P4240007.JPG
    P4240007.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 80
  • P4240008.JPG
    P4240008.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 77
  • P4240009.JPG
    P4240009.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 65
   / Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #26  
Sorry- is this where the PT is broken down, or are they old photos? If this is where it is, I would use the pickup or a tow truck to get it out. (We've used tow trucks for some pretty amazing off road tows- you just need an access point.

Your 1845 has the BrakeTender, right? Or do the brakes come on/off automatically with a solenoid? If it is the former, then I'm with MR that the only circuit that is pressurized would be the FEL/Steering/Aux. If the latter, you have a brake circuit that may have some pressure due to leakage.

Oil mist injuries are very very dangerous, as in potentially lethal, so you don't want to be trying to look into the cage to find the leak while the engine is running. Can you slip a hand into the tunnel at the front and the back to feel the underside of the hoses to feel for damage? (engine off of course!)

All the best,

Peter

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac
It has a brake tender which can be released by pumping a handle at the brake tender pressure gauge. It is currently where most of the pictures show it picture #3. Tuesday we tried to load it on a trailer , we could get it up to the top of the ramps then it would jack knife and we could not get it straight. The trucker did not have a winch. From where it is located my driveway is a good down hill grade no problem to get it moving just controlling the steering issue and stopping it.The hoses are hard to get to and I cannot get them to move in any direction to see or feel under them. I think the hydraulic system is almost empty by now the way it has been leaking

/ Has anyone ever tried pushing their Power Trac #28  
Sounds like you are very close. Can you block the trailer, and use the pickup to pull the PT up using the front hooks? Or use a tow truck to winch it on to your trailer?

To me oil gushing out is incompatible with the brake tender and more likely the front wheel drive hoses.

All the best,

Peter