Has anyone run the new bobcat t740?

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #1  

dss496

Tractor
bobcat t300
In the market for a loader and this new model caught my eye with its non dpf, 74 hp, 3.4 liter engine.
Curious as to how much less torque/grunt it has than the 81 hp t750.
Thank you for any opinions on this engine and loader!

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #2  
If you see a machine that *was* over 74hp pre-Tier 4 Final, and its 74hp now its the same engine and probably the same torque. Manufacturers had to reduce power to keep compliance with Tier 4 Final, while not going with DEF, by going to under 74hp.

So all that being said, its the same engine and likely the same *actual* HP and torque, just reduced down to *show* only 74. BTW, even though that machine does not have a DPF, it probably has a DOC which should still regen.

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #3  
The Dooson built D34 engine used in the new T750 and T770 is rated @ 94 HP. This engine does not regen but will be using an SCR/DEF. That is why Bobcat changed engines. Kubota could not produce a higher HP engine without a DPF. The T740 is basically an economy model with limited options. It shares the same frame as the 750 and 770. It was easier to keep the same engine and detune it rather than fit the D24 engine.The T740 will not use an SCR/DEF.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Has anyone run the new bobcat t740?
Oops! Bobcats website shows the t750 at 85 hp. I mistakenly typed 81 hp. So the t740 uses only a catalytic converter? Are emissions standards less stringent at 74 hp? It would seem the 3.4 would have a longer service life than the 2.3, 74 hp engine in the t650.

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #5  
Oops! Are emissions standards less stringent at 74 hp?
Yes,the lower the HP the less stringent the emissions specs. are. By detuning the 92 HP D34 to only 74 lets Bobcat not need the fluid injection system.That keeps the cost down as well as keeping the engine block and mounting the same.

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740?
Thanks for the replies. Do these engines have egr? Does anyone know the torque ratings of these engines?
Bobcats website is very vague. It makes me a little nervous to drop $70,000 on something so new and untested.
Thanks again for all of your help!

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #7  
In the market for a loader and this new model caught my eye with its non dpf, 74 hp, 3.4 liter engine.
Curious as to how much less torque/grunt it has than the 81 hp t750.
Thank you for any opinions on this engine and loader!

You should think carefully what your going to use the machine for before you choose the model. Do you really need a large frame machine? Will you need to lift something that heavy? There was an earlier version, a T870 I believe, that has the Kubota IT4 engine in it. It did not perform that well in use even with power management and drive response:thumbsup:.

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #8  
The s740 is actually heavier than my s750 base weight. Less hp, more weight. Idk. I was told by someone who demoed one that it pushed really good.. a lot better than an s630 but the hp is the same and it's a lot heavier than a 630 or 650.

I like my 3.8 liter motor and have put over 4k hours on 3.8's with little to no problems. I'm waiting to see how the 3.4 liter works out especially the 85 and 92 hp version. I wasn't real happy with the look of the exhaust system and the complaints about the heat generated. The 85 and 92 hp s750 and s770 have electric fans in the back door for heat dissipation. Not sure how that will do in the woods. Hopefully Bobcat has it all worked out.

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #9  
Bump to an old thread as I am considering a T-740. Went and looked at one today to possibly replace my 322. It boasts a lifting capicity 1,000lbs over my machine which would be great but my concern is the 740 weighs 2000 lbs more than my 322 and only has 8 more HP. Seems like it's dirt moving performance might be less because the extra 8hp and then some might be used up in moving that extra 2k lbs around?

/ Has anyone run the new bobcat t740? #10  
Bump to an old thread as I am considering a T-740. Went and looked at one today to possibly replace my 322. It boasts a lifting capicity 1,000lbs over my machine which would be great but my concern is the 740 weighs 2000 lbs more than my 322 and only has 8 more HP. Seems like it's dirt moving performance might be less because the extra 8hp and then some might be used up in moving that extra 2k lbs around?

You have to remember the engine is not driving the tracks. The power is supplied by the hyd pumps. Power management allows you to custom set your machines ability's. I have a lot of customers that have these newer machines with these options and don't how to use them. Have you asked your dealer to do a demo?