Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain

/ Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #1  

big lar

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland and a ford
Have a chance to get wet brewerrs grain from 2 different sources about 50 miles from here. One makes 2,000 lbs wet-ton, 3x a week (distillers grain, from wheat) the other 500#, 3 x a week (beer, from barley).

yeah its good feed, but it is wet and spoils quickly. I know they want too give it away, but I am thinking I should charge them. Its going to be a 3 hr round trip, each day. I want to use molded-plastic tubs that can be handled with a fork lift (on both ends) they want to use plastic trash barrel, which I think is alot of bul work.

I can't transport more than 1 ton at a time and each round tri[p I estimate will take 3 hrs (it is right into downtown!) I am thinking $150 a trip How bad shoukd I want it, so I can say take it or leave it. Not many farms around here,so they would have to pay a trash hauler (I think) what;s your thoughts?

/ Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #2  
I am originally from Czech republic where every town has brewery so local farmers use the brewers grain to feed pigs. While handling it they usually spill some and chickens would eat it and get drunk. Have you ever seen drunk chicken? They are pretty goofy, silly and funny just like happily drunk people.
How much you shoul ask for taking it from their hand I have no idea. Ask them to deliver it to you.

/ Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #3  
big lar said:
Have a chance to get wet brewerrs grain from 2 different sources about 50 miles from here. One makes 2,000 lbs wet-ton, 3x a week (distillers grain, from wheat) the other 500#, 3 x a week (beer, from barley).

yeah its good feed, but it is wet and spoils quickly. I know they want too give it away, but I am thinking I should charge them. Its going to be a 3 hr round trip, each day. I want to use molded-plastic tubs that can be handled with a fork lift (on both ends) they want to use plastic trash barrel, which I think is alot of bul work.

I can't transport more than 1 ton at a time and each round tri[p I estimate will take 3 hrs (it is right into downtown!) I am thinking $150 a trip How bad shoukd I want it, so I can say take it or leave it. Not many farms around here,so they would have to pay a trash hauler (I think) what;s your thoughts?

Why can't you pull a trailer and haul more at a time? If you could make a pick up twice a week that would make it less of a PITA.

And yes, I would charge them. At least cover your vehicle costs.

/ Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #4  
The standard IRS business mileage rate deduction for 2012 is $0.55/mile. This is supposed to approximate the variable and fixed costs for cars, pickups, vans, and panel trucks. If your costs are similar, you would need to recover at least $55/trip from sale of the wet grains or use of the grains in feeding your own animals just to cover your vehicle expense.

What's your time worth/hour?

Steve

Last edited:
   / Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #5  
I use 1000L totes with the top cut off with a bulk seed bag inside. I take the seed bag out with the forklift and drain the excess fluid. I get about 2000 lbs two to three times / week. My pigs ate it, but the cattle and sheep love it. the leftover goes to the manure / compost pile.

/ Has anyone tranported wet brewers grain #6  
My neighbor used to feed this to his cows trailer truck load a week. When it sits for about 3 weeks in the hot sun it stinks really bad.