Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps?

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #11  
I use a 15 gallon plastic tank I got from work. I bought a cheap 12V electric fuel pump at the auto parts store, some clear plastic tubing, a 3/8" ball valve and use a small trailer battery for power. They originally came with boiler treatment chemicals in them. When I use the chemicals up the company discards the 15 gallon jugs so I rinse them out and take them home and use them for fuel. I also get 5 gallon jugs too. I use them for waste oil and for kerosene. They are white plastic so you can see the remaining fuel level through the side of the jug. The in bed unit you described for me is something I wouldn't need since I don't usually take my tractor anywhere that would use up about 8 hours worth of fuel.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #12  
LJH said:
I've been using the 5 gallon/grunt method so far too - sucks in good weather, don't much want to be doing it in bad. Need to set up something better.

If I'm understanding it right, the fuel additive prevents algae & other undesireable uck, but what about condensation? I keep Baby John's tank topped off but how do you cold-country folk prevent condensation in your storage tanks?

Either keep it full or a good water filter seperator . Also there are a few companies (very few) that make additives to keep the water from being an issue.

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #13  
I use 5 gallon plastic cans, bought a 12V transfer pump, hooked it up with a dead-man switch (similar to a refrigerator door switch, but opposite, on when pressed). Installed a two-prong plug on the tractor & pump switch, set the can beside the tractor 3/8" hose in the tank & hold the switch. It's slow, but it works. If I'm mowing at the farm, I just stop by the station on the way home & fill it there, they have an off-road pump out back. ~~ grnspot

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #14  
Either keep it full or a good water filter seperator . Also there are a few companies (very few) that make additives to keep the water from being an issue.

Will do, thanks!

Up until I bought Little John the only diesel experience I had was with trucks and that was in the CA Bay Area were it rarely got very cold. I still topped off the Pete's tanks every night but the storage tank was buried and I never gave it a thought. (I know, I know: dumb truckers :laughing:)

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #16  
For no more then you are going to use go to Harbor Freight and get a $30 rotary pump and then get a 30 or 55 gallon plastic drum. That and 10' of hose worked well for me for 10 years. I had less than $50 in the whole setup. My uncle still uses it to this day. Just load it in the bed of your truck to get it filled then when you get home walk it out on the tailgate and use your FEL to lower down.

I outgrew this setup so I now have a 300 gallon gravity tank.

Chris

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #17  
I put this and this together in this
to make this

I see you have taken the easy route to post you set up....as often as you do! clear and concise.

I currently have a 55 gallon poly drum that i set up with an air valve to pressurize (10psi) when I want to transfer. Didn't use it much for the tractor- was primarily for fuel oil into the furnace. I kept it strapped into the pick up truck and could back right up to the fill tube.

Tractor supply has the "traveler" brand transfer pump kit on sale for $99.00. low end of gpm but adequate. ready to go out of the box with the exception of filters. On e-bay, found one with a higher gpm rating for $149.00 ready to go (no filters either).

I'd like to start out using it on the barrel but intend to get a larger tank. My fuel supplier will give a discount for deliveries greater than 500 gallons. With my usage for heat at about 750 per year, and about 100 gallons for the tractor, I hope to build a "tank farm" in an out building sort of like Lbrown..

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #18  
If you already have a Home Heating Oil Tank why not just tap off it? A simple T fitting and a pump would be all you need.

Chris

/ Has anyone tried transfer fuel tanks and pumps? #20  
If you already have a Home Heating Oil Tank why not just tap off it? A simple T fitting and a pump would be all you need.

Chris

I did that, works well. Think I posted pics here at some point.

Put a hydraulic quick connect on the basement wall to actually attach hose pipe to. I also needed a hose extender. All plumbing in basement was black pipe. Put a spin on napa filter on in between shutoffs, and a drain on the pressure line.

Also changed fuel order to dyed diesel. Pretty much the same price as heating oil, much better for tractor