Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway?

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #11  
Well....sorta...... I used an asphalt driveway to tear up an old subsoiler once. :eek:

Enough brute HP and a grade 8 bolt for the shearbolt and it wasn't a pretty sight.

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #12  
Well....sorta...... I used an asphalt driveway to tear up an old subsoiler once. :eek:

Enough brute HP and a grade 8 bolt for the shearbolt and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Grade 8 bolts are great aren't they. We get tired of changing shear bolts so we toss in a G8 and then we get to replace the implement instead:( I fight that urge still even though I know better. Usually after the shear bolt breaks the third time in 10 minutes is when I start thinking about it:rolleyes:

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #13  
Grade 8 bolts are great aren't they. We get tired of changing shear bolts so we toss in a G8 and then we get to replace the implement instead:( I fight that urge still even though I know better. Usually after the shear bolt breaks the third time in 10 minutes is when I start thinking about it:rolleyes:

I sorta knew ahead of time what I was in store for..... I bought an old worn out subsoiler to demo 400' of shabby looking pavement. It was a single shank CAT I implement. I pulled it with my old 5000 Ford just after it got the M&W Turbo kit. She was crankin' about 85hp at the time. Woulda been OK, but the younger, slightly more impetuous me back then......5 gear and WFO!

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #14  
please post what size SS you buy as I'm looking to buy one for my b7100. thankss

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #15  
i haven't read the whole thread...

i was pricing subsoiler/ripper tooth around here.....tractor supply was around 169.......two local dealers had them.....one was 100 (cash no tax!) and another one was 135.....both of the local guy's where much heavier built....

might try a couple of local fellas....

Dang!

Now I'm a little nervous about breaking something! I just got this thing!

All the cautions are duly noted, though, thanks all!

The driveway is really what's left over from a shoddy job years ago. Asphalt is probably about an inch thick in spots, lots of dried out stuff that amounts to gravel. I was able to attack it by hand before, but I'm not discounting the fact that I may run into some "easter eggs" in the process.

Last time, while digging a trench in the yard, I happened upon her 220 line to the garage, thought it was a root, grabbed the loppers and got to see a pretty light show!

Guess I'll be heading to TSC for a subsoiler this week. When we get started I'll update with some pictures of the carnage!

Jim

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #16  
You could always take it easy and get the ripper underneath and use the 3point lift up and break the aspalt apart.

I bought my subsoiler as a potato plow, I dont know why, I was a little green but have since taken off the plow part and put this twisted chisel on. It takes a licking...

Attachments

• cc1245RH_1143745661609.jpg
    cc1245RH_1143745661609.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 124
   / Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway?
Once you get the subsoiler, take a look at it to see if you can remove the blade, and maybe fabricate a single tooth piece out of a piece of Heavy Duty flatbar. Make it a point to go up under the asphalt with just a little bit of lift. This would put a lot less strain on your tractor, even though I do think you will be ok if you just use the subsoiler as is. Slow and steady is the best advice I can think of in this case.
David from jax

Yeah David,

Scoot and lift, now that sounds like a good game plan.

Jim

To date, I've found and pulled up my phone line four times with my subsoiler. I found the original phone line, then found the repair, then found the repair, then found where they moved the phone line to to make sure I wouldn't find it. The last time I found my phone line, I found it with my rototiller. The phone company told me I'll have to pay the next time I tear up my phone line. I told them I've been paying insurance in case such thing had happened, so shaddap and keep digging. :D

Oooh, I bet they loved that!

BTW your sig reminds me of what I was told by a girl at work once:
Every day should include three things: a good cup of coffee, a good crap(bowel movement), and a ....... well I forgot the 3rd!

Jim

I don't see a ROPS in your avatar photo.

Keep in mind if the ripper hits anything immovable and you don't get the clutch in fast enough the tractor will walk right over backward and crush you. A good friend told me thats how his father became disabled.

Yes California!

I got my tractor last October, and the ROPS is on my short list.

I guess Kubota has a safety campaign, and I can buy the ROPS kit at half price if I fill out a form and take it to the dealer to order.

Jim

/ Has anyone used a subsoiler to tear up an old asphalt driveway? #20  
Here's how I tore out some asphalt last yr. Lift a chunk up then whack it with sledge hammer to more managable size, not the funnest or easiest but did work.

Attachments

• asphalt removal (1536 x 1152).jpg
    asphalt removal (1536 x 1152).jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 411