3-Point Hitch Has Anyone Used the Stop Valve Extensively? Any Problems in Doing So?

/ Has Anyone Used the Stop Valve Extensively? Any Problems in Doing So? #1  

neflfarmer

Tractor
yanmar1510 2500
Just trying to see if anyone has seen any hydraulic or mechanical problems by locking the rockshaft in use. Seems a few people would like to be able to do this to avoid drift, but not sure if it is meant for this purpose.
Thanks!

/ Has Anyone Used the Stop Valve Extensively? Any Problems in Doing So? #2  
I will be corrected if I am wrong but your 2500 has what I will refer to as the older hydraulic control system. Your control valve has a little lever on it used to control drop speed. It then has the stop valve used only for locking the 3 point at a position. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with closing your stop valve at a position but you must not raise that lift control handle to a higher position with it closed or your likely to shear a pump key or worse.

A lot of the newer models (just a tad) have a control system without the lever on the control valve and just a slow return/stop valve. This valve can be turned toward the closed position to regulate drop speed or closed completely to lock the 3 point. This system also has a relief valve that will relieve (if set correctly) if the lift handle is move to a higher position than it was at the time of closing the stop valve.

Not trying to be a hydraulic guru here. I have read this information in manuals and have installed an outlet for a single acting cylinder on my 2002d. I know first hand how it works. Not sure about the 2500 but my 2002d does not allow much drift. My lift will drift slowly down but after a very small amount of drift the control valve will move it back to the original set position.

Rambled long enough but will conclude by saying take caution with it when closing that stop valve or you can do damage. If I were to close it on your 2500 I would then put the 3 point control handle in the down position and leave it there until opening the stop valve again.

/ Has Anyone Used the Stop Valve Extensively? Any Problems in Doing So? #3  
I guess I am wondering what is the reason to lock the valve is the 3 pt not staying put on its own? I would sure take Winstons advice seriously if its closed that pressure could damage something else (expensive and hard to find maybe) in a heart beat.

My valve is inoperative it turns freely and all but doesn't do anything so I cant even talk about how to use it. (I do have external hydraulic lines out of my draft control may be the reason dont know?)