Hauling it...How much truck?

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills
12/1

I'm a little disappointed that no one chimed in on my post about excavators, but I guess most of you just don't deal with them.

Let me try one more related theme. How big a truck (dump size) do I need to haul such a creature?

The combined trailer & load would be about 25,000#. It is easy to find GVWR's for trucks, but the GCWR, which speaks to the COMBINED wt a truck n trailer can handle is more elusive.

Some people say I need a tandem to pull so much wt. But others say a 33,000 GVWR single axle truck (such as the state hyway type snow clearing vehicles often auctioned, International S1900, et al) will do just fine. I attached a picture of one of those for reference.

And yes, I am getting a CDL.

Can anyone lend some guidance that I can get my teeth into?

Thanks!

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #2  
jgh, I understand the question, and maybe someone on here has an answer, but in my opinion, there are too many variables involved. Which engine, transmission, axle ratio, etc. do you intend to use? How heavy is the truck going to be loaded, etc. Generally speaking, to pull a load that heavy, I'd say you probably need to be considering the tandem axle truck.

Bird

/ Hauling it...How much truck?
12/1

Hi, Bird, wish I was in Tx today! Coooooollllldddd here!

Thanks as always for taking time to comment.

I realize the drivetrain has to be adequate. Interestingly enough I am getting pretty uniform advice that almost any 5/2 transmission mated with a 175-200 HP diesel engine like a DT366 or 466 International, 3208 Cat, or almost any Mack drivetrain of any type /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, will do it.

I have looked at some trucks with as low as 5.88 rears, which is real dragster gearing for sure. And Macks seem to have fewer gears, what with the some 676 cu in/1425 ft-lbs of torque /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif on one I am looking at.

My main concern is safety--can I stop such a combo with a loaded or unloaded single axle dumper or is this a job for a tandem? Your vote then, is for the tandem, or is your concern whether a single could even pull it?

How about an automatic--seems like a strange beast for a heavy truck, but a lot of those DOT trucks have 'em. Warning from some is that repairing them is big bucks although failures are rare.

Oh, here is a picture of one I plan to drive tomorrow. Big truck fer sure, but the Macks seem to hold their value so I'm willing to go a little more.

Jim

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #4  
Jim,
What does your local heavy equipment operator's use to haul with.

I'm not sure I would want to try and hold back a trailer with a excavator to many time going down a steep grade plus with cures only with a single axle,also the brakes might get a tad warm.

I notice around here when someone hauling {10 wheelers} a excavator or a dozer,they also haul a load of stones..dirt etc..doing two things at once..will you?

Have you check out the International,for they also sem to be a good unit.

Take care and happy shopping.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #5  
Jim, first off, let me admit that I'm out of my league on this topic. There was a time, many years ago, when my Dad drove the big rigs, and my younger brother used to own both a Kenworth tandem rear axle and a Peterbilt triple rear axle tractor, but I've had little to no personal experience with the big rigs. But I would be concerned with stopping and controlling ability with a single rear axle and that much weight on a trailer (of course, I assume you'd have good brakes on the trailer, so maybe that's not as serious a concern as I'm inclined to think). I'd bet you know a lot more about the topic than I. As far as the automatic transmissions, it's my understanding that the only reason more trucks are not using them is fuel mileage. The first dump truck I ever drove (in 1956) was a '51 GMC with a Hydramatic transmission! I was startled when I got in it, because I didn't even know anyone had put an automatic transmission in a truck that early. But the little experience I've had with modern Allison automatics has led me to think that's what I'd want (some models, that is, because there are some I don't care for, but don't remember all the model numbers). Right now my brother has a GMC Topkick with the 200 hp Cat engine and an Allison that I don't like. No matter what gear it's in, when you let off the accelerator pedal, the engine drops to a dead idle and the truck feels like it's freewheeling (like the old car manual overdrive transmissions). He's talking about trading up to a Freightliner, 315 hp Cummins, air brakes (which I love), and a 6 speed Allison that only feels like freewheeling in the top two gears. At any rate, that picture looks like a nice Mack, and good luck with your shopping.

Bird

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #6  
Not much to sink you teeth into but here is my two cents.

Becareful of the state auctioned trucks they are either one extreme or the other. Just remember what they spend their life doing--pushin show and spreadinSALT both very hard on any truck. I've been to some state auctions and some great deals can be had. Just be careful of what is actually under the truck and not the looks. Another thing is that these trucks also spend alot of time idle. That can be harder on a truck than running it on a regular basis.

Good luck in your quest.
Gordon

12/1

Hi, Thomas,

Guys around here that I have seen mostly use small tractors to pull 40-50T trailers since they haul bigger machines than I will. I don't know of anyone with the wt I am forcasting.

One scary thing I have noted: a lot of people stretch the capacity of light trucks, close to the breaking point. Most 3/4T trucks are maxed out at 8-9000# (some go a little farther) towed wt. And I have seen backhoes (14-15000 with trailer) behind them! Talk about Tim Taylor weight with an Al truck...

I have checked out the Internationals, and they do seem to be good work trucks. The DOT truck I pictured in my other post is an S1900, I believe. My heavy truck-smarter brother tells me the DT466 is the best medium duty diesel engine around. Roland claims ignorance on towing capability, though.

Good consideration about what else I would be carrying. If necessary I would just have to limit the payload to avoid exceeding the GVWR/GCWR.

J

12/1

Ah, Gordon, the truth is out. We do use salt on our roads down here /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif!

See the attached pic on the original S1900 I looked at, alledgedly from Baltimore DOT. What level of damage would you say that is?

Good point about idling. Most of the DOT trucks have relatively few miles for their ages. But with a diesel, isn't idling less harmful than on a gas engine? Not good, I'm sure, but how harmful?

One guy I spoke to recently reminded me that gas engine tolerate not being run for long periods than to diesels. True? Many of us treat our tractors that way /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

J

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jgh on 12/1/00 09:58 PM.</FONT></P>

12/1

{Bird, is there any coincidence between your nickname and your love of AIR brakes? couldn't resist /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif}

For the question here...why do you love air brakes? One thing I noted when studying for my CDL learners was about air /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif brake lag. At 55mph, you lose 32 feet to it on average.

Devils Advocate question and invitation to get down n technical: I know they're better, but why?

You can use your lifeline to phone-a-Wen.

/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

J

/ Hauling it...How much truck? #10  
Jim, as to your first question about a nickname; I don't have one (as far as I know). I just use my real name.

And as to the air brakes, I don't have hardly any technical knowledge; just liked the ones I've driven. And as to air brake lag, it sorta makes sense to me, but not enough so for me to understand it. I had to make one panic stop (well, actually just barely short of locking up and skidding; heavy traffic moving about 55 when the third car ahead of me lost control and caused 3 to pile up) on I-40 in Knoxville, TN, once in a diesel pusher motorhome with air brakes and if there was any lag there, it wasn't something I could "feel." And I don't know why air brakes are any better either, except I just like the feel of the pedal and braking better.

Bird