Hauling tractor with a car trailer?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #11  
A car hauler trailer will be fine for hauling your tractor. If it is a flat deck car hauler rather than open between the tire track rails that's even better since most car haulers have wider spacing between the fenders. If it is open between the track rails you can fill the space with 3/4" plywood, aluminum, or steel decking which will make it a more useful trailer and I think easier to sell later..

i use my race car trailer to haul my tractor.

kb1.jpg
OK so you can use a car hauling trailer to haul a tractor on.
But can you use a tractor hauling trailer to haul a car on?

Last edited:
   / Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #12  
OK so you can use a car hauling trailer to haul a tractor on.
But can you use a tractor hauling trailer to haul a car on?
yes, but its usually impossible to open the doors..

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #13  
My open trailer has an open center...

Open center trailers, at least mine, gives a little more payload because the trailer weighs less.

I added another rail to fit my BX23 and narrow track antique cars.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #14  
A car hauler trailer will be fine for hauling your tractor. If it is a flat deck car hauler rather than open between the tire track rails that's even better since most car haulers have wider spacing between the fenders. If it is open between the track rails you can fill the space with 3/4" plywood, aluminum, or steel decking which will make it a more useful trailer and I think easier to sell later..

The problem with doing this is it will add to the weight and take away from the weight carrying capacity. These trailers were engineered to be open and have extra supports in them. A flat deck trailer on the other hand was engineered so that the deck itself give some of the necessary structural strength. What you will end up with if you try to make a open center trailer into a flat deck trailer is one that has a lower than normal capacity and will be just heavy all the time.

Chris

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #16  
*The problem with doing this is it will add to the weight and take away from the weight carrying capacity. These trailers were engineered to be open and have extra supports in them. A flat deck trailer on the other hand was engineered so that the deck itself give some of the necessary structural strength. What you will end up with if you try to make a open center trailer into a flat deck trailer is one that has a lower than normal capacity and will be just heavy all the time.

Chris
*This makes sense.
So then what do I need for a trailer that will haul both?

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #17  
*This makes sense.
So then what do I need for a trailer that will haul both?

Lefty has exactly what you are looking for, it will haul a tractor, truck, car, atv, utv, golf cart, motorcycle, trycycle, bicycle, furniture, appliances, firewood, plywood, sheetrock, 2x4s, 4x4s, 2x2s, 1x2s, 2x8s, 2x6s, manure, gravel, dirt, sand, sawdust, compost.....and whatever else you can put on it.

But there is one thing it will not haul....@**....no sides to keep him from jumping off.

/ Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #18  
Yep, that is basically what I have but with a wood deck. Its a 7,000# 18' by 76" wide trailer with a rail. I have hauled a Suburban and 20 other cars. The longest haul was a Lincoln Aviator 250 miles from Detroit Auction. Its fitted with a winch and a strap box on the tongue so everything is always right there. It also has a spare tire on the opposite side.

It has hauled everything listed above and then some.

Chris

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 2,772
   / Hauling tractor with a car trailer? #19  
I haul my 1250 on this ....a solid deck 18' beavertail car trailer , its 9999gvw .Payload of 7200 lbs . I ordered it with galvanized rims too .

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 975
   / Hauling tractor with a car trailer?
Thanks for all your input !! I think I will be alright going with the trailer I'm looking at. Weight wise the trailer will handle it. Being an open center I have plans to fill the center with removable decking making the trailer able to be used either way, open or full deck. I checked the brimar website and the full deck trailer weighs about 360 lbs more than the open. The price seems good @ 1300.00 for a 2004 trailer.