Have new rototiller and a question too

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #11  
I've read several posts now here on TBN about tillers really launching objects.

I've been around tractor mounted tillers now for about 25 or so years, ever since my dad got his when I was a young kid (1982, I think, so I would have been 12... I'm 38 now.). I've never seen his tiller launch anything more than a foot or 2 behind the tiller in all that time, and I've seen him or myself hit quite a variety of objects in that time (he has a business plowing and tilling gardens), ranging from small rocks to bricks, to old truck axles. I've never seen anything "go flying". So, I've read all of these posts with considerable skepticism.

Then today, I read another "launch" post in this thread, so I decided to run the numbers to determine the maximum velocity that a tiller is capable of "launching" an object at.

I used my KK2 6' tiller for my test subject, since it is quite representative of the tillers used by members of TBN. These results will hold for any KK2 (excluding the XB "orange" series) tiller, since they all use the same gearboxes, and the speeds will be the same.

Without showing all the math, at 540rpm pto speed, the tine rotor shaft is spinning at 210 rpm on the KK2 tillers. If you want, I can show how I calculated that, but it's easy math. 210RPM is 3.5 revolutions per second.

I went out and measured my tiller, and determined that the tines rotate in an arc with a radius of approximately 8 inches (.667 feet). That calculates out to a circumference of 4.19 feet per revolution. Multiply that by 3.5 revs per second, and that gives you 14.665 feet per second. That's the maximum velocity that the tiller can possibly launch any object at. To state it in a measurement unit that we're all more familiar with, 14.665 fps = 9.999mph. Let's just say 10 mph. And that's if the tine contacts the object just absolutely perfectly to transfer the maximum velocity to the object, without it being buffered by the tilled ground around the arc being described by the tiller tines, or contacting the tailgate and being deflected back down to the tilled soil.

I'll let you make your own decisions about tillers throwing objects, but I remain highly skeptical of the claims made by some on TBN. How far do you think anything can fly at 10mph?

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #12  
tmc2318 said:
I'm buying a 72" King Kutter and want to stock up on the 85W-140 gear oil....anyone have an idea of how much oil is needed to fill both the gearbox and side gearcase?

tmc2318,

IIRC, mine took about 3/4 of a gallon, if even that much. It was less than I had expected it to take.

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #13  
xlr82v2 said:
tmc2318,

IIRC, mine took about 3/4 of a gallon, if even that much. It was less than I had expected it to take.
same here, I bought a gallon and had maybe a 1/3 or a little over left in the jug

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #14  
TMcD_in_MI said:
I don't really know what to do with the back plate, the plate that rides on top of the tilled dirt. There is a chain that can be shortened to raise this plate up,
*but why would I want to do that?
Tom
*I have a kk 48'' tiller.
I keep the back plate up as high as it will go with the chain.
Why? So I can back the tiller into my dirt pile to make fine landscaping dirt for the yard and other projects.
That and grading is the main thing I use the tiller for.
I don't use it for tilling a garden or flower bed or anything else like that.

I guess I'm sort of an individualist cause I like being different as I'd prefer being me rather than trying to be like everybody else.

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #15  
tmc2318 said:
I'm buying a 72" King Kutter and want to stock up on the 85W-140 gear oil....anyone have an idea of how much oil is needed to fill both the gearbox and side gearcase?

The manual that came with my 60" King Kutter tiller lists that the top gear box takes 40oz and the side gear box takes 60oz.

Tom

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #16  
   / Have new rototiller and a question too #17  
tmc2318 said:
I called up King Cutter to ask for another set of decals because the ones on my 60" KKII were somehow destroyed during S/H to Tractor Supply Co. They sent me another complete set of decals the next day.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful. One thing he stressed was to NOT overfill the top gearbox (the one without the check hole). He said some people have overfilled that one, and on a hot day when the tiller is working hard, the pressure can build up so much in there that it blows out the seals in the gearbox. He said that repairing that damage is very difficult.

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #18  
Lindy said:
I called up King Cutter to ask for another set of decals because the ones on my 60" KKII were somehow destroyed during S/H to Tractor Supply Co. They sent me another complete set of decals the next day.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful. One thing he stressed was to NOT overfill the top gearbox (the one without the check hole). He said some people have overfilled that one, and on a hot day when the tiller is working hard, the pressure can build up so much in there that it blows out the seals in the gearbox. He said that repairing that damage is very difficult.
Desert rose is right about what the manual says, BUT, when I filled mine, it didn't take 40 ozs to get it half full, I'm wondering if 40 oz is completely filled? I was pouring from a gallon jug but I'd bet I didn't add over 20oz in mine to get it half filled

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #19  
The manual from the website does not mention oil amounts, only to fill until half-full. It would be nice if the gearcases were filled at the factory........

/ Have new rototiller and a question too #20  
I had also checked the KK website after ordering my tiller so I would know how much oil to add. No help there. The manual that came with the tiller has the same language as the website but has the quantities in bold at the end of each section about gear boxes.

I added the oil yesterday just before using the tiller for the first time. I added 40oz to the top gear box. Today I checked it and it's a little over half full but a long way from being totally full. If overfilling is such a problem I wonder why KK doesn't include an overflow plug like on the side gear box?

I have used the tiller for about 4 hours so far and it has performed great. I tilled up my old garden spot that hadn't been used for over 10 years and had horses running in it. After one pass I added a mountain of old manure that had been cleaned out of the barns last year and the tiller mixed it so well into the soil you can't see any of the manure on the top of the soil.

Tom