Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand.

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
About 11 years ago when we were building our house the local streamkeepers needed to come through our property so they could bring equipment in take down a concrete dam on the next acreage. They ran out of room to dump the dam dirt and so we ended up getting over 120 truck loads of silt. Most was later trucked out after it dried. However they did give us some pipe and the excavator filled in a gully/seasonal creek behind our house. Over the years the 13" pipe has been full of water in the winter and this water stream carved a large hole below the pipe. Also the bank of fill was slowly sagging downward. So had a truck bring in 14 ton of rock so I could fill in the hole and shore up the bank. No way can I use my tractor and backhoe in the gully, to steep and still wet at the bottom. So most of the rock has been moved. Some of these rocks must weight over 200 pounds, couldn't even roll them into place. Hired a young 18 year old fellow who is strong as an ox. In two hours he moved a lot of this rock to the other side of the gully. I have lots of tools and working toys but this was man power all the way. :)

Attachments

• GullyRock (3).jpg
    GullyRock (3).jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 318
  • GullyRock (5).jpg
    GullyRock (5).jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 275
  • GullyRock (2).jpg
    GullyRock (2).jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 257
  • GullyRock.jpg
    GullyRock.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 242
   / Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #2  
Talk about the school of hard rocks.:D..I'll bet this job convinces this young man to go back to school. Hope your paying him well.

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #3  
About 11 years ago when we were building our house the local streamkeepers needed to come through our property so they could bring equipment in take down a concrete dam on the next acreage. They ran out of room to dump the dam dirt and so we ended up getting over 120 truck loads of silt. Most was later trucked out after it dried. However they did give us some pipe and the excavator filled in a gully/seasonal creek behind our house. Over the years the 13" pipe has been full of water in the winter and this water stream carved a large hole below the pipe. Also the bank of fill was slowly sagging downward. So had a truck bring in 14 ton of rock so I could fill in the hole and shore up the bank. No way can I use my tractor and backhoe in the gully, to steep and still wet at the bottom. So most of the rock has been moved. Some of these rocks must weight over 200 pounds, couldn't even roll them into place. Hired a young 18 year old fellow who is strong as an ox. In two hours he moved a lot of this rock to the other side of the gully. I have lots of tools and working toys but this was man power all the way. :)
You didn't ask for sugetions on what to do wIth the left over rock..but here's mine.
Build a big bar-b-que.

Last edited:
   / Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #4  
Not my work but I'd put some of the largest in front of the pipe, the small stones will just move from the force of the water coming out of the pipe.
Other wise that was a lot of work by hand!!!

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #5  
Hiya,

Keep in mind:

"I lift things up and put them down"

Think of all the fitness club dues your saving.

Tom

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #7  
As a young fellow I dug a basement by hand in clay till (packed clay mixed with rock) over 2 or 3 summers. My parents house was built on a crawlspace that they wanted to be a basement. It all came out in pails to wheelbarrow, and out over the hill behind the house.

Had to use the pick to get it loose, couldn't stick a shovel in it.

Within 5 years of doing that, I got to see a skidsteer with a toothed bucket do one in a week, and they did it deeper that ours. Sure deflated me seeing that.

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand.
Not my work but I'd put some of the largest in front of the pipe, the small stones will just move from the force of the water coming out of the pipe.
Other wise that was a lot of work by hand!!!

That's what was done, large rocks first and then smaller on top. Once the heavy rains come the smaller rocks with work their way in between the larger ones. Because of the water force once the pipe gets fairly full the water shoots out for a few feet in a downward arc, that's why the water had scoured out a good sized hole about 10-15ft from the pipe. Got most of them moved now :) and am pretty happy on how it turned out. Plan to take a couple of pics today and will post.

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand. #9  
I have the same project ahead of me except it looks like I am going to need 40 ton. I am going to do my best to use my FEL as much as possible. It is going downhill into the hole so I may get lucky enough to roll some of it. Though lucky isn't what I am used to, typically it's hard work and time.

/ Have to move 28,000 pounds of rock by hand.
I have the same project ahead of me except it looks like I am going to need 40 ton. I am going to do my best to use my FEL as much as possible. It is going downhill into the hole so I may get lucky enough to roll some of it. Though lucky isn't what I am used to, typically it's hard work and time.

I was lucky that the dump truck could back right up to the edge of the gully. The rock, which is irregular, not round, landed on the top 1/3, not much rolled down hill. The gully is too steep :mad: :(to use my tractor and backhoe.