have you built a cistern?

/ have you built a cistern? #1  

F2036

Have any of you guys built a cistern ? What did you use, platic tank, concrete culvert, bricks etc ?

/ have you built a cistern? #2  
F2036.

No, but the old house I lived in before this one had a brick one 8' deep and 6' around below ground that I filled in as it was starting to crumble and fall in (built in late 1800s)

In our present house we connected to sewer when it arrived in 97 and now I use the old septic tank as the holding tank for the sump pump output, plus it had a built in drain field!

I would think plastic would be first choice today, but a septic tank is not expensive either..

Carl

/ have you built a cistern? #3  
I have a Norweco bruiser 1250 cistern no problems buried 30" or so

about $1,000 in 2006 when I put it in.

BRUISER-300.jpg

Norwesco

tom

/ have you built a cistern? #4  
25 years ago I used a 1600 gallon concrete septic style tank without the septic plumbing. Place I'm on now I put in a 1000 gallon plastic similar to the post above but with only one man hole. They were both buried with about 24" of cover. I like the plastic tank better. Went with the smaller capacity so the water doesn't sit so long.

Kim

/ have you built a cistern? #5  
I have some friends that live over oil shale. The water is half oil and undrinkable. They tap into springs for drinking water and use septic tanks for cisterns. Pretty much the standard way to go in south eastern Ohio.

/ have you built a cistern? #6  
I have some friends that live over oil shale. The water is half oil and undrinkable. They tap into springs for drinking water and use septic tanks for cisterns. Pretty much the standard way to go in south eastern Ohio.

If I had water that was half oil I would be a really happy guy.:laughing:

Mr. HE:cool:

/ have you built a cistern? #7  
Have any of you guys built a cistern ?

My 5000 gal water tank is made of ICFs, and is poured monolithically.
(ICF=Insulating Concrete Form).

Attachments

• water_tank_2.jpg
    water_tank_2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 665
   / have you built a cistern? #8  
I was wondering what you mean by cistern? Out here a cistern holds water for drinking or household use. A cess pool is for gray water that comes out of your septic tank, or sometimes a cess pool is the septic tank. It seems to me some of the posters are talking about both.

/ have you built a cistern? #9  
I was wondering what you mean by cistern? Out here a cistern holds water for drinking or household use. A cess pool is for gray water that comes out of your septic tank, or sometimes a cess pool is the septic tank. It seems to me some of the posters are talking about both.
I think those folks are just describing using a tank that is NORMALLY used as a septic tank for a cistern.

/ have you built a cistern? #10  
We used concrete septic tanks as a cistern when we built our home. We store about 1100 gallons. We use it to water the gardens & orchard. We have had a few summers that we used it constantly, and some summers when it was barely used.

Don't forget to install an overflow! :)