Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Yesterday we took a new 2012 GMC Savanna to the dealership because of a loud tapping noise that started out of the blue. It sounded to me like a collapsed hydraulic lifter. Anyway this van has something like 9,500 miles on it. The service manager listened to the noise and advised us not to drive the van, and to immediately leave it if possible.

The service manager said that bolts on more than a couple of the torque converters had worked loose causing such noises. And if that was the case it would be a simple matter to re-torque the bolts. So who the heck is on that line that's chewing gum instead of doing his/her job and why GMC isn't using some type of thread locker is beyond me.

Got a call yesterday afternoon from the dealership and they told us that the flywheel was cracked. :eek: And naturally the dealership has no such flywheel in inventory. Needless to say we aren't a happy bunch right now. :(

In comparison I think there is a BIG difference with imports vs what we put/throw together here in the states. Case in point, we have a 2002 Toyota Highlander with approx. 158,000 miles that keeps running strong. With the exception of brakes, oil & filter changes, and windshield washer linkage that came apart the car has had no other mechanical issues, ever. We have never even changed hoses or a timing belt. And the body is solid and with all the salt they throw here in the Ohio winters it speaks highly for Toyota's rust inhibitors.

What has you experience with American vs imports been?

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #2  
OMG, you're going to open that can of worms!!

Well, I have a F350 with over 300k miles on it...bought used, had to replace power steering pump and valve cover after a few thousand miles after purchase. I gotta have a 1 ton pickup with gooseneck set up

also have Dodge Grand Caravan, set up for disability ramp, 50k miles, 10 years old, had to replace water pump.

Then, have following...for self, family members, repairs noted were what I considered design or manufacture problems

toyota Matrix, 180k miles, AC compressor went out

Mercedes Sprinter, AC problems, coolant leak never found by dealer fixed by stop leak, bad battery wiring, 100k miles, glow plugs bad, check engine on often. Special needs child, thus the need for this vehicle, has extreme amount of room inside.

toyota 4 runner, no repairs, 140 K miles

toyota camry station wagon, 130k miles, door handles broke, electric window fail

toyota camry station wagon, 170k miles, no repairs

toyota tacoma pickup, 30k miles, no repairs

Kubota 5030, 1200 hrs, AC repairs

my net, sadly, is that non-Japanese components are not quality controlled, thus you can get a failure anywhere in the vehicle, regardless of assembly quality, even Mercedes.

I've had exceptional reliability from Toyota vehicles, high mileage, low unanticipated maintenance, normal wear items.

Air Conditioning components are a common failure point on many vehicles.

Even though US auto industry is coming back, it's going to be a LONG time before, if ever, before US made individual components are going to equal reliability of components in Japanese/Toyota vehicles.

I'll continue to listen to friends who swear by US vehicles and take them in to get repaired....when they stop telling me about problems, I'll consider US vehicle purchases. Until then, I'll stay with Toyota when they have a style that fits my needs.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #3  
PineRidge--At 158,000, maybe change that timing belt. Bad things can happen to good cars.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #4  
Just an observation of our fleet vehicles ( Ford, Dodge, GM ). GM seems to cut costs everywhere they can. If they can save a tenth of a penny on the plating on a bolt they will do it.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #5  
My :2cents:,
'04 Buick with 197k on it. I replaced front hubs at 100k, plugs and wires at 110k, and the battery a couple of years ago.
'07 Toyota, the wife's car, with 67k on it. I replaced an exhaust manifold and 4 oxygen sensors at 49k, and in the last 2 years have replaced 4 of the 6 coils.
'09 Chevrolet Silverado with 17k on it.

Buick: 197k miles = $550 in replacement parts.
Toyota: 67k miles = $1200 in replacement parts.
Chevrolet: 17k = $0 in replacement parts

Anybody can make a bad car.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #6  
My company car.. 2000 Dodge Caravan.. 257,000 miles in the shop now with a problem with the air only comes out of the panel vents, no defrost or floor vent flow. It had transmission (transaxle) rebuild at 142,000. Air cond. compressor at 175,000, it has had 3 or 4 batteries, tires and brakes of course. All in all though, if someone had told me a Dodge Caravan could go 257,000 miles on the same engine I would have laughed at them.

James K0UA

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #7  
What has you experience with American vs imports been?
The lines have been blurred on the American/import thing. Many "American" vehicles are built in Canada or Mexico, while many "imports" are assembled in the U.S.
We've had many Fords/Mercs/Lincolns and usually put 200K on them with just routine maintenance. The exception being a 98 Continental. The engine was excellent, everything else on it was a maintenance/repair money pit. We still managed to put 200K on it.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #8  
Our 1997 Ford Fiesta is corroding to high Heaven on the undercarriage but mechanically it's never broken down once in the 4 years we've owned it so that says something.

It's got 82,000 miles with all the major parts being original (engine, clutch, transmission, starter motor, alternator etc...).

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to.
PineRidge--At 158,000, maybe change that timing belt. Bad things can happen to good cars.

Yeah I should at least have that taken care of before it breaks on its own.

/ Have you noticed that they don't build vehicles like they used to. #10  
I've had a lot of cars too, I buy used fix run and repair when needed.

my at the moment corral consists of

1991 F150 300 6cyl, put a lot of parts on it, has only let me down 2 times alternator killed battery, and just yesterday didnt start, think it is a fuel pressure regulator. Bought it w 68K has 2x that now. it is used as a truck only so not a lot of miles owned it 12+ yrs.
1994 T-Bird 3.8V6 eng.bought w 100K even on it. tune up parts tires brakes has been it. now just over 160K. been real good car but norther ohio salt has take it's toll on it.
1993 t-bird (womans car) her dad was original owner she bought it from the estate in 1996, it has 150K but rust took it off the road last year. It needed head repair at 75K and a starter at 120K other than that no repairs.
1996 Cougar (just got it) 550 bucks 135K fixed alternator cleaned it and will be replacing windshield.
2001 Honda Passport stays broken more than running, it has had every concealable problem and several that just simply baffles the mind. right now has gas tank issues where fuel level gauge drops to 0 and back up, had to rebuild starter, had to fix torsion bars and to replace battery and alternator radio died, gauge panel issues. list goes on and on. have only managed to add 10K to it in 3 years and was my most expensive bought car/truck...

SO I'll stick to my FORDS and or Mercury's anyone want to by a 130K Honda Passport fully loaded :)

Mark