Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft.

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #1  

Singlecoil

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-24D Cub Cadet LT42e
I can't seem to get this thing to go on to the tractor. It will go on as far as the ball bearings inside the coupling, but they seem to be stopping me from putting it on any further. The black plastic housing slides forward, similar to the release on a hydraulic line, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• 874483-PICT0021 (Medium).JPG
    874483-PICT0021 (Medium).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 434
   / Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft.
Another pic.

Attachments

• 874485-PICT0022 (Medium).JPG
    874485-PICT0022 (Medium).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 381
and one more

Attachments

• 874487-PICT0023 (Medium).JPG
    874487-PICT0023 (Medium).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 307
   / Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #4  
Slides forward? or slides back towards the implement?

Or is it possibly the type that the plastic ring twists to allow the 'balls' to retract?

Can't see much from the pic attached. Is it clean in and around the balls such that they don't have dried grease/dirt behind them? Any burrs on the male drive end that might catch the ball, keeping it (them) from retracting out of the way?
(Edit - I jumped in too soon, and see the other pics are giving a better view. Are you positive that the ring slides forward to 'release' for sliding on, or that it slides back to 'release' and then forward to lock? From the pics, no burrs are apparent but the plastic ring looks to be in the 'open' position in the pic.)

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #5  
I had the same problem with the shaft that came with my used chipper. I would have been happy to spend a hundred bucks on a new one if i could have found a tractor dealer within fifty miles that had the right end in stock. Put the shaft in a vise and disassemble it. Removing the snap ring will allow you to take apart that end. Thoroughly degrease and clean everything..... hand file any nicks or burrs on the splines, then put a light coat of grease on everything as you reassemble it. You probably have dried grease in there thats keeping it from working properly. Hope this helps !!

Scott

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #6  
It looks to me like that gold colored outer ring held back with the snap ring and inside the black plastic ring should slide backward to release the retainer balls. At least that is how mine works. The black plastic should just be a dust cover.

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It looks to me like that gold colored outer ring held back with the snap ring and inside the black plastic ring should slide backward to release the retainer balls. At least that is how mine works. The black plastic should just be a dust cover. )</font>

I'm pretty sure you're correct. It looks just like the one on the PHD I borrowed last year. I spent some time trying to push the plastic ring forward to retract the locking balls before I figured it out.

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #8  
I have to use a sledge hammer to get anything on my PTO.
I put a new PTO shaft in last fall and a new ORC and it made it worse.

I often take on/off my finish mower. The drive shaft has a push button coupler.
You push the button and slide the shaft on.
The button fell out so I drilled the yoke out and put a bolt in place of the button.
I just remove the bolt to take off/put on the drive shaft.
But I still have to use a sledge hammer to do this.
I tried filing the outside of the ORC as it spun.
I filed the splines inside the yoke of the driveshaft.

Don't know what else I can do.
Afraid I'm gonna break something beating on it.

Pooh Bear

Ding! That was it! I was sliding the black plastic part forward, thinking that was supposed to release the ball bearings. I just went out and slid the gold part back and it went right on, on problem. Thanks gizmo and everyone else!
Once again, TBN saves the day. My dealer was trying to help me over the phone, and I couldn't figure it out because he kept saying to slide the ring back. I kept telling him that the black plastic part only slid forward. I was wondering if mine was assembled backwards or something. Tomorrow I get to dig holes!

/ Having trouble hooking up PTO driveshaft. #10  
<font color="blue"> I have to use a sledge hammer to get anything on my PTO.
</font> I'd bet my next paycheck your O&M manual doesn't mention a sledge hammer for anything, there is something wrong.
I think I would take the smallest section of the PTO shaft I could and do a serious fit test to see why it was binding, sometimes mine can be a little troublesome to line up but with a little fussing I get it lined up and it slides right up...no hammers required.