Hay - approximate yield per acre

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #11  
Hi Rob,
I think your going to get a wide crossection of answers depending what part of the country your talking about. Your even going to get different yields in the same local depending on fertilized or non-fertilized, elevation, river bottom land, amount of sun the property gets. But to give you an idea, my next door neighbor got 2500 square bales off of 28 acres, first cut.

Good luck with your property!

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #12  
Hi Rob,
I think your going to get a wide crossection of answers depending what part of the country your talking about. Your even going to get different yields in the same local depending on fertilized or non-fertilized, elevation, river bottom land, amount of sun the property gets. But to give you an idea, my next door neighbor got 2500 square bales off of 28 acres, first cut.

Good luck with your property!

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #13  
4998 bales on approx. 49 acres. Last cut, last year. Orchard type grasses with mixture of Timothy.

Northern/Central VA.
-Mike Z.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #14  
4998 bales on approx. 49 acres. Last cut, last year. Orchard type grasses with mixture of Timothy.

Northern/Central VA.
-Mike Z.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #15  
Tons per acre is an easier figure to compare, as most everyones round bales and square bales can all come out different weights based on size of baler and how that baler is adjusted...

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #16  
The 25% length difference of the bales will be due to the driving speed of the baler, or: the amount of hay per stroke. Also most brands of balers have inaccurate rope knotters that dont allways rope to length... 95% of all contractors in my area use Welger small square balers because they are built tougher to withstand 100 PTO hp if needed, never miss a knot and give a more uniform bale length. I dont know which brands of balers you have in Northern america which we dont have in Europe, but neither a NH or a Deutz-Fahr could get close to the performance and dependability of a Welger. (welger round balers arent any better than other makes though)

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #17  
Renze,

..a NH or a Deutz-Fahr could get close to the performance and dependability of a Welger.

I'd like to hear more about tht brand. Is it the preferred baler for your part of Europe? Does it come in only one size? Is it a complete ag-line or just a baler comapny?

-Mike Z.

/ Hay - approximate yield per acre #18  
http://www.welger.de/ordner_english/produkte-engl/produkte_m01-e.html

Welger is a German brand that makes conventional, and big square and round balers.
The round balers arent that good but every contractor insists on a Welger small square baler.
They belonged to Lely for some years but they got independent again after a change of company policy at Lely.

I know a contractor that had 2 NH presses, but changed them for 1 Welger. The Welger required a lot less maintenance time and cost so he could run through peak season with just one machine with less downtime. The NH needed knotter rebuild every winter. Another contractor tried Deutz-Fahr, which kept breaking shearbolts, and an NH which put out too many mis-knot bales when the capacity was pushed up a bit.
Another contractor used a 130 hp tractor pulling a Welger, when the air showed thunderstorms were coming so they hurried, they could bring the 130 hp Same tractor on its knees while the Welger was just spitting out bales without breaking shearbolts and very little mis-knotted bales.

Off course these are just some stories you pick up from the headland when baling is done (when you've offered the contractor a beer) but Welger certainly has a good name.