hay rake landscape rake question

/ hay rake landscape rake question
Last year (before the goats) I let someone else cut the hay and bale it for their cows. When he cut the windrows it was ready for baling by the next day without turning! And, that was a wet year!!! Based on that (he has done this for the past 3 years) our pasture dries so fast that it isn't a big problem. I have two round bales from his cutting and they are very good inside. Basically, he windrowed it, then the next day (or two depending on the year) later he turned it and baled. So, I'm expecting that if I windrow it that the hay will pretty much dry through if left for a few days in our 100F heat. It may not be the quality wanted for horses, but the goats will be thrilled! :p

I did not know about the bar with a windrower, I will watch for those too.

/ hay rake landscape rake question #12  
As you have already observed, turning it in Texas will most likely not be necessary, unless you get some really heave growth on it. You might check out Brinkley Auction over at Idabel,OK for a rake. I think that's an hour or so away from you.
Brinkley Auctions Inc.

/ hay rake landscape rake question #13  
I got this same job done a few times using a Woods leaf collector. It usually sucks output from a mower deck, but with a bigger hose and an input tube made from a piece of PVC, I got it to suck up the grass hay and stuff it into the trailer. That's a lot of trips with the trailer, though. It made 'loaves' of hay that dumped out nicely into piles about 4' x 4' x 5'. I imagine you could send the output chute into a pickup bed instead of the vaccuum trailer with some cutting and fabrication. A 'Billy Goat' will work, too if the hay is only 6" tall at a time. Just cut it, don't windrow it. Take a cutting every 2 weeks or so. Three acres means some walking, but that's your deal.

/ hay rake landscape rake question
WOOOOHOOOO!
Picking up the sulky rake tomorrow from Sam Adams (Tatum, TX). He has all kinds of old farm machinery. It was a blast seeing all the old stuff. So, back to 1800s style haymaking for me! :p

:)

/ hay rake landscape rake question #15  
Thanx for the update. Ill be very interested to hear how your haymaking goes this summer!! Pictures would be good...