Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them!
Some great tips there Barefoot; it's a shame that you don't have any pictures of them. Can you give further detail as to why you didn't like JD or Gehl running gear? What features were they lacking that made you prefer the Electric brand?

Thank for the tips and pictures; keep them coming!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them!
Bumping this message back to the top...

I've finally gotten back to work on my wagon... It's a Gehl 806. You can see where the original owner extended the frame. I didn't need/want it this long so I took off the extension (very easily in fact which is kind of scary in a way...) and shortened it up. Every tire is a different size and actually one rim was a 16" vs. the 15" on the rest. I got another 15" rim from the original owner and swapped it out.

Since these pictures were taken I picked up a matching set of light truck tires for free on craigslist, painted the rims and re-packed the bearing replacing one of the real seals as well.

I picked up my lumber from a mill last weekend; more pictures to follow if/when we ever get some weekend days without rain.

Attachments

• Haywagon1.jpg
    Haywagon1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 669
  • Haywagon2.jpg
    Haywagon2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 984
  • Haywagon3.jpg
    Haywagon3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,908
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #13  
Hello again DMF. Looking forward to the running gear with a bed on it. Help me out here, I can't see any steering linkage in the last picture. Is it my old eyes or are they hidden?

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #14  
I did a wagon last year that is more yard art than anything. Used milled telephone poles for bed.

Attachments

• spoke wheeled wagon 005.jpg
    spoke wheeled wagon 005.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 2,227
  • spoke wheeled wagon 001.jpg
    spoke wheeled wagon 001.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 2,783
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #15  
Oldhippy,

We've got a similar wagon to yours. The fellow that had it before us converted it to a covered wagon to use on wagon trains and parades. Do you know anything about yours? Age, model or maker? Below are pictures of it when we put rear disc brakes on it. I'll have to see if we have some other pics of it.

Attachments

• SD530099.jpg
    SD530099.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • SD530100.jpg
    SD530100.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 2,075
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #16  
We pull ours behind the baler. No sense in lifting them off the ground when working on flat gournd. We call them rack wagons around here. We fill two wagons then unload them in the shed or on to my fifth wheel to haul to another farm. These are home made. One with rough cut oak on the floor and the other with ply wood. The plywood floor is very slick.

Dan

Attachments

• Bailing 2.jpg
    Bailing 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,774
  • Bailing 3.jpg
    Bailing 3.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,789
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #17  
DanD78;

You have to tell the story behing your exhaust system. It almost looks like a rubber hose. Inquiring minds want to know.

SimS

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #18  
My guess on that exhaust pipe is it has a metal bucket hanging from the frame of the tractor and the pipe goes into it so if there is a spark from the exhaust- it is put out before it hits dry hay. Correct?

Or the operator doesn't like smelling fumes all day?

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #19  
Nice set up there DanD78. I can see that would work quite well when everyone is there to do their job. Save from having a separate pulling vehicle and a pop-up loader or "bucker"! For those who don't know or haven't ever experienced the honorable job of "bucking" the bales upon a wagon, trailer or truck: It's the new guy, unlucky guy or MACHO guy that gets to throw the bales upon the wagon, trailer or truck. In our case it's the "young whipper snapper" (if you can find one now days who'll actually work) who wants to prove he's got the muscle and grit! :p Anyway, I'm rambling. I bet that plywood floor is slick as you mentioned. Did you have to extend the chute on the baler to reach the wagon? Shorten tongue?

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #20  
My Brother in law didn't like the exhuast in his face so he made his own bottom exhusat. It gets kind of hot under foot. The bale chute is extended so it is just short of the wagon and a little high so the bales are easily to grab. Bailing like this is the only way I have know till a few years ago. Some of the big operations use a bale accumulator the pick up 8 bales at a time with a loader attachment. The only labor is unloading in to the barn off the rack wagons or fifth wheel trailers.

Finding young people that want to work is tough. They are too busy playing on the computer, talking on their cell phones or driving around in the car their parents bought for them. None seem to know what physical labor is. (do you want to know how I really feel about this?)

Dan